Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Confession of a quilter, I'm more than guilty! >

Confession of a quilter, I'm more than guilty!

Confession of a quilter, I'm more than guilty!

Old 08-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

I would not through away a quilt, at least I would have given to Goodwill, I'm sure someone would have bought it.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:14 PM
MTS
Banned

As ubequilting and JimGem's mentioned upthread, a lot of the failure of the quilt belongs to the teacher running the mystery.

I've run several, and I always did everything I could to make sure the instructions were as explicit as possible, so the participants could/would make the appropriate fabric selections.

The color theme was actually irrelevant, but it was my responsibility to make sure that the value and scale of the fabrics selected would work in the final quilt.

Although, sometimes I do have to say, someone would insist on using fabrics that had been in their stash forever, and even when warned that it might not work, still insisted. And when it didn't, I could only shrug my shoulders.

I'm sorry yours didn't work out. But mystery quilts can be a lot of fun.

You just have to really dissect the fabric requirements provided, and if details on the value and scale required are missing, push to get more details.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:42 AM

I have not thrown it away yet!! but I did un pick it and now I have a box of pieces which I am intending to stitch back together one day into a different design! I know exactly how you feel and congratulations on letting it go!!
Old 08-27-2011, 02:47 AM

I've DONATED a couple. There was that big six point star cut from pieced blue stripes. It made me seasick. The clerk at Habitat said a lady bought it and came back a week later with it finished! Couldn't understand why someone would get rid of it.

Always consider stuffing everything in a bag and donating it. I'm always thrilled to find someone's unfinished project.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:22 AM

I would never make a mystery quilt. I have to know what the quilt will look like before I spend my precious time on it. Maybe I'm just not a fun person.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:49 AM

I just recently tossed one. It was a buck-a-block made with thangles. I found a backing that had some lines on it that made me think I could quilt it from the back . . . .WRONG! I got it over half done and decided it looked awful. I put it aside thinking I could use it for practice. Got tired of looking at it. I cut it up saving what fabric and batting I could and tossed the rest. Have too many other projects I want to do to waste anymore time on something I disliked so much. No regrets.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:53 AM

I haven't thrown one away, but I have made a screen porch table cloth out of an unhappy quilt. After some sun fading the quilt became a happy accent on my table.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:55 AM

8-) 8-) well i was making this Quilt for my daughter, the pattern was tricky but doable,BUT i hated the fabric,not anything i would buy thank god it was a faze she was going through. i made the top . put it on my long-arm, even went as far to take a picture ---looked at the photo-- that was it , UGLY. i took that puppy folded it up and donated that, what i call mud fabric to senior citizens club ,they cut up material and reuse it,Ducked the Quilt Police. ps, never did tell Sindi. ;-)
Old 08-27-2011, 04:26 AM
njf

I agree with you to get rid of it. I use my burn barrel.NJF
Old 08-27-2011, 04:27 AM

I've donated a few to the quilters at my church, they finish them and donate them to disaster organizations. If someone is left with nothing they appreciate even the pieces we consider disasters.