Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Confession of a quilter, I'm more than guilty! >

Confession of a quilter, I'm more than guilty!

Confession of a quilter, I'm more than guilty!

Old 08-27-2011, 05:38 AM

Please do not throw away... charities - homeless people.. there is always a home for an ugly quilt.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
I haven't ever thrown any away, but I have been disappointed a time or two when it didn't turn out like the picture in my head. I gave the tops to a nurse friend who quilts them, then she gave them to terminal patients in the hospital. After they pass, the quilt is given to the family. The quilts may not be what I wanted, but they gave others comfort, and that makes me feel much better.
What a good idea! I had thought of cutting it up and securing it for animal shelters.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:44 AM

I have a scrappy qulit top that I should just throw away. It's been in the pile of UFO's for years. But my mom just loves it. If I could afford to send it out to get quilted I'd give it to her. But I really don't want to do it myself cause I don't like it at all. Not one bit.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:52 AM

So sorry to hear about your story......but I understand. I have yet to do a mystery quilt......I just can't. I want to have my vision of the quilt before I start. We have a couple mystery quilts going on at our shop, but I just can't do it.
Happy Quilting.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by CristyK1
I have a scrappy qulit top that I should just throw away. It's been in the pile of UFO's for years. But my mom just loves it. If I could afford to send it out to get quilted I'd give it to her. But I really don't want to do it myself cause I don't like it at all. Not one bit.
Don't have it quilted tie it. and give it to your mom she will love it... Just a thought.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:12 AM

Hey! It would have made wonderful pet beds for your animal shelter. All of you out there, if you really want to get rid of something like that, give it to the local animal shelter. It may eventually get to the landfill, but at least it will have been used up. froggyintexas
Old 08-27-2011, 06:13 AM

Here is one I just quilted. I loved the fabric but now that it is together I hate it. I have to bind it in black. The picture doesn't show the metallic in the fabric but this pattern did not due it justice. I belong to a class that makes a quilt from their stash or you can buy fabric. Loved this so I did the pattern of the month. The squares are supposed to be together but it is too busy so I put narrow strips in between and it makes it look better. I won't throw it away but maybe someone I know will like it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-247321.jpe  
Old 08-27-2011, 06:19 AM

While taking a sampler class I got quite zealous and made many blocks. I pieced 2 that I wasn't fond of. One I gave to the instructor as she stated that she could use it in future classes as an example (she liked it). The other, a dresden plate, didn't seem to lay flat so I didn't use it in my quilt. I made a lap quilt with all my extra blocks (I did mention that I got zealous...I pieced ~40 blocks during that class). When I made that lap quilt, I decided to use the dresden plate and when sewn into a quilt, it was perfect!

I can understand the need to be rid of a thorn in your side.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:30 AM

I guess I'd never throw a quilt away - too much time and cost put into it - at least, I'd have given it away to someone who needed a quilt - they probably would not know what color you wanted to show off - and appreciated the warmth of a nice quilt. Or in keeping it - just turn it over so you didn't have to look at the side you meant to see - use it put a cover over the entire quilt - anything, but never never throw a quilt away!
Old 08-27-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by hulahoop1
I did a block swap once and had so much fun participating. But I was so disappointed in what I received back that they all got tossed. Didn't even attempt to sew them together into a quilt top.
I have one like that right now. And the group will be disappointed if I dont do something with them. IT is ringing charity, if I ever get the blocks together.