Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?.... >

Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?....

Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?....

Old 01-22-2015, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

I use to be. I made myself put all threads and bits of fabric in a trash holder. I bought a big beautiful basket, my stuff basket, and have it on my cutting table. I put everything that seems to collect while sewing in that basket, it's not laying all over. The stuff basket fills up fast and every so often I put everything away where it goes. I have baskets of scissors, seam ripper, and pin cushions sitting at different places in the room so I don't have to keep looking for one, just grab one where ever I'm at.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:51 AM

I had to take my vaccuum to the dealer to have the roller replaced because it wouldn't turn anymore. The dealer cut all the threads off and cleaned it up for me and laughed at me. He didn't charge me cause he said it was the messiest challenge he ever had.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:12 AM

No sorry, I am on the other end of the spectrum. I am obsessively clean and organized. I have something to catch my threads next to my machine and A small waste bucket for unusable trims on the cutting table. Everything so far has a place in my sewing room which by the way can be seen from and Living room and front door. (My sewing room is in the sunroom. My happy place.

As far as chairs, I desperately need a new chair. The chair I have now is too low. (Soon) Ikea has one I really want that would be perfect. (Saving) So, I don't have the chair problem yet.

Now ask me about 3 little doggies running in and out from the back yard every day. Ack, (serious eye roll) I'm constantly sweeping up dirt. It is never ending. Thank god they don't shed much.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:17 AM

Every one of my machines has a waste basket or thread catcher but I still end up with thread on the floor.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:28 AM

I am also a member of thread build up in my chair wheels. I have not looked lately.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:32 AM

I may not be a neat sewer, but I'm a happy sewer, I pickup after each project
Old 01-22-2015, 12:04 PM

I take my chair outside and burn the threads off with a match. I would do it inside but I am afraid I might set off the smoke alarm LOL!
Old 01-22-2015, 12:35 PM

The wheels on my chair have to be cleaned too! Last week I found my DG with the vacuum all apart, cleaning it. Couldn't beleive how much better it worked. It's only used on that level of the house.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by FabStripper View Post
I had to take my vaccuum to the dealer to have the roller replaced because it wouldn't turn anymore. The dealer cut all the threads off and cleaned it up for me and laughed at me. He didn't charge me cause he said it was the messiest challenge he ever had.
Don't have wheels in my sewing room, but this is my vaccuum all the time! I just flip it over and sit there with small scissors and have at it.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:26 PM

I have a chair at my sewing machine and another one at my desk so I don't have the problem with the threads winding around my wheels. That doesn't mean I have a clean sewing room..... no no no. I'm a very messy sewer but when I finish a project, I don't start another one til I clean up a little bit at least a little path to the machine.