Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?.... >

Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?....

Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?....

Old 01-22-2015, 01:35 PM

I've been doing some cleaning and reorganizing and I had a good supply of those plastic drawer thingys, shallow and the deep ones, I told my dh that I wanted all the shallow ones put in my sewing room, he asked where in the sewing room, because he'd seen the mice packing up and leaving, said they're leaving because there's no room, although in truth, there aren't ANY mice in my sewing room. The good part is, I did manage to get them all in my room and they're now all filled. LOL We won't even talk floors, cutting table, ironing board, sewing desk, etc. LOL
Old 01-22-2015, 03:34 PM

Have converted my "parlor" into a studio. It is visible from three directions. Since I had to clean it after some neglect, I have been so much better at pick up as I sew now as I had really let it get messy. I apply wide adhesive tape to the base of my task lamp to the rear area of my machine so that I can pat down my threads on it. I have a habit of placing them there anyway, so...just putting some tape down is great. Now, the floor, which is carpeted...I have to be diligent with sweeping with broom so as to save on my vacuum machine before using it. I have been known to apply tape around my swifter to grab loose pieces of fabric and other debris in carpet. To my DIL s it must look frightful to them. But, the more creative I seem to feel, the more stuff is out in the open. you are not alone.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

I seem to have taken over the dining room with my vintage machines. All the furniture is still in it and it gets messy sometimes. It never seems to be "very clean" but somehow other than the floor I can keep it pretty clean. Organized is another story. It seems to take too much time for me to put things away as I use them. And, it is annoying to me that the rest of my "stuff" is in one other room and a closet in yet another room. I can't move it all to the dining room because there isn't enough room. But, I try. That's good, right?
Old 01-22-2015, 04:09 PM

My DH regularly cuts the threads out of our vacuum cleaner due to past problems! No matter how I try to put stray threads in my thread catcher, lots of threads end up on my clothes or the floor all around our house. Now I'm whispering, don't tell anyone, the other day, after I had been "unsewing" something with red thread, he found some in the "bathroom". He said have you been ingesting thread now? I thought that was sew funny!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:12 PM

I try to clean up my room with every finished project. When it is clean I call my husband in to take a look cause it looks so nice! But as he says -- it can either be clean or be used. It just can't be both ways!
Old 01-22-2015, 05:23 PM

I am admittedly a very untidy quilter/sewist. Try as a can to have a sewing space that I see in so many photos of beautifully organized areas... its just can be done .. at least by me. When I am on a sewing bender.... "stuff" in my sewing space is everywhere. I have thought of naming my space chaos!
Old 01-22-2015, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

I have used a wire pet brush to "gather" longer threads off the carpet before vacuuming. Every so often have to check the chair wheels AND the vacuum cleaner rollers for threads.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:45 PM

My husband's leather work area looks about like my sewing area - just bigger chunks. Lol!
Old 01-22-2015, 05:58 PM

I keep a small garbage just to the right of my machine and it's pretty automatic for me now to snip and drop the threads in the basket. Not to say that I still don't end up with threads on the floor but having that basket there helps. I tend to have more of a problem with pins ending up all over the floor.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:27 PM

I too keep a small trash can very close when I'm sewing. But I miss, lol. Oh, have to share my DH's latest idea. He gave me a magnetic screw holder for mechanics, for my pins. So far I havent dumped them in the floor since using it. Didn't mention we've had the same problem with vacuum wheels, thankfully the one we use now can turn the brushes off. Have locked those rollers up with thread before. Yep, creative and sloppy, that's me��