Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Critical of own  work? >

Critical of own work?

Critical of own work?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
I am my own worst critic. I joined a table runner swap (my first swap) and made THREE table runners before I decided which one to send LOL! And then I was still nervous about whether my swap partner would like it. I don't post a lot of pics of my work on here but when I do, I sit and stare at the "submit" button for ages before I hit it. Do ya think I'm insecure???
Wanna see the picture of the one she wasn't sure of? I love my table runner which is now on my dresser in my bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-70180.jpe  
Old 07-26-2010, 08:39 PM

Yes, I'm the same way. I had two turning points in the last month. 1) i went to a quilt show with my SIL and she pointed out that I do MUCH better work than the majority of the quilters there. and 2) I found a glaring boo-boo on a quilt in a pattern book. Yip -- we ALL make mistakes. Or as I mother says "Only God made something perfect"...
Old 07-26-2010, 08:46 PM

Wanna see the picture of the one she wasn't sure of? I love my table runner which is now on my dresser in my bedroom.[/quote]

Beautiful table runner!!!

As a longarm quilter, I get to see my mistakes when I make them and again when I quilt the quilt! I've seen some very interesting piecing (mine included!), but after it's quilted, all I can see is the beautiful quilt. I have such an up-close-and-personal experience with the quilt, every "oops" is noticeable, but when you stand back and look, the "oops" magically disappear, and all I see is the love in every stitch. No one likes to have all that love looked at critically. So tell me, why do we enter our quilts in shows to be judged??? :lol:
Old 07-26-2010, 09:27 PM

Am always so critical of my work. Accept compliments.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by topazgypsy
I had to laugh when I read some of the post...my mom is awful... she can find a flaw in a near perfect piece. I have quit showing her any of my work.. she is my worst critic and has hurt my feelings many times. I am very critical of my work,I have learned to love my flaws and not include my mom.
My mum is probably not as bad as yours, but I also fell over laughing at some of the earlier posts! She'd be the first to ask did I have to use that colour, should this not be more pointed, and it would have been nicer had I done xyz. I will never be an advanced / master quilter so I expect to always have flaws and just decide if they're ones I can live with or ones that need to be fixed. I suppose I prefer to point them out so I don't feel like people are discussing them behind my back!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:30 PM

:P Like button is pushed! :-D
Old 07-27-2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by eye2quilt
I have finally learned to say to myself "IT IS WHAT IT IS''........my mistakes are my "signatures"!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Now this made me laugh!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by quilterken

(1) No on the other side of the coin, I teach classes and quilt for Atlantic Fabrics, so I sometimes need to point out flaws.

(2) Another time in class I carefully pointed out that have of the student's background pieces were underside down. Her reply was 'well I don't like the person I'm giving the quilt to anyways" I
(1) Getting an honest criticism from a teacher who is trying to help you learn something is entirely different from someone who pcks your work apart. We welcome that kind of criticism because it helps us to become better quilters.

(2) I laughed out loud when I read this.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:06 PM

That is something I read that could help you.
"Perfection is not a goal in making quilts. People should enjoy the process and pay attention to get better everyday. God has chosen not to make exact duplicates in nature and it is not our job as quilters to make exact duplicates either.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:39 PM

I leave in my mistakes (ahem) so that others will feel better about the mistakes they make. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! Smiles and hugs!!