Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Critical of own  work? >

Critical of own work?

Critical of own work?

Old 07-27-2010, 07:17 PM

I think we all have a friend like that,. I have one that takes things out of my hands and does it her way. Last time, I took it back from her and changed it right back to my way. She hasn't done it again since.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Banned

I did not receive complements when I was young, so it is very hard for me to except them as an adult. I get upset with myself because I think it could be better. I am still teaching myself to quilt and I want so much to be able to make the beautiful quilts you all make. and I hope someday to do it. I know when I post a picture, I wait to see what you all say, because it means a great deal to me. and It does give me incuragment to keep posting what I make. God bless. Penny
Old 07-29-2010, 11:31 PM

When I first started quilting the woman who taught me told me that I would never make an absolutely perfect quilt. She said all quilts have at least one small flaw - and that's what gives them character. Well...I'm a bit of a perfectionist and set out to prove her wrong. I stopped trying years ago LOL! I've learned to live with the fact that my quilts will have at least one character flaw and some of them are just FULL of character!
Old 07-30-2010, 03:55 AM

If I am not mistaken, our creator did not intend for us to be perfect. We all have that flaw that makes us want to be perfect. I too am a perfectionist, but also a realist. I know that there will always be something that I am not perfectly pleased with. Perfection is in our own mind (or imagination). People who don't or can't do what we do think it is perfect. I certainly wouldn't criticize a beautiful cabinet maker; and I am sure he can see flaws in his work too.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
If I am not mistaken, our creator did not intend for us to be perfect. ...snip...
Well, technically that isn't correct. Adam & Eve took it upon themselves to ruin perfection by eating the forbidden fruit. ;) Although I guess, depending on your religion, it may be a bit different than that.

I've been quilting for 18 and a half years now (can't forget the half! :lol: ) and someday I will make a perfect quilt. But right now it's all about the journey. :-D
Old 08-01-2010, 06:21 AM

Perhaps the "friend" who needs to find flaws needs to feel superior. I'd stop showing her my work and if she asked I'd saw "Sorry my work isnot up to show quality yet" We quilt for our enjoyment and those of family and friends who appreciate the memories we make.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 AM

Nothing I do is ever 100% perfect. I really don't think anyone's is. However, I love everything I do. Quite the contrast to most of you. Surely somewhere in there you have to like it or you wouldn't show pictures of it and show it off to the rest of us unless you "truely want it criticized". Be proud of everything you do. Quilting, like life has a learning curve. We are always getting better at it. God built us the way we are so we can't kick ourselves in our own butt. Live and learn, learn and live, and be happy with the choices you make. Otherwise you will constantly be wollowing in dispair. There's no fun in that and you loose the lessons you can learn. Keep an open mind and be happy. This is the phylosophy I live by. I hope I inspire you to live by it too.

Oh, and by the way, I take the oath too, LOL!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:07 AM

I am a perfectionist and am my own worst critic. I know this and I am working on it...even have a post about this on my blog. I too will take the oath!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:59 AM

As someone trained to measure, calibrate, remeasure and check things others have made (usually to 4 decimal places but microns aren't unusual either), it is an ingrained habit to check my work. I compete with myself to guage improvement. I like my seams to match and my points to actually be there. I'm far more left brained than right. I use loved ones (and others) to point out errors with pattern and color because I'm trying to learn about these things. If I can't analyze what makes something really awesome or why something isn't working for me, what is the point of doing it? If I just accept status quo I would never improve.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:10 PM

I have always been creative, stained glass, goldsmithing, painting, etc. I had this picture in my mind of what I wanted to do. When it didn't end up looking like that picture, I thought I had failed. It took me many years to see that I had actually improved on the original. Now I can't follow a pattern because I look and see where it can be improved. I am a much happier camper now but it has taken many years to get here.