Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious. How many of you have your own long arm machines?

Blog Entries
    I have an APQS older model and it's a workhorse. I need to use it more and prefect my skills.
    Linda

I have an older mid-arm. Struggling with it as it doesn't have a stitch regulator. When I have time to practice not bad but then I don't use it for months and have to start all over. I have a tin lizzie 18L on layaway and hopefully it will be paid off this summer. I plan on selling my mid-arm and get on with it. I currently quilt for my personal use.

I have a Pfaff Handi Quilter, just for my quilts.

I had a tinlizzy 18 but had payments on it. I ended up selling it as I felt too pressured to quilt for others to pay for it and that made my hobby into a JOB! YIKES! I love to quilt and ended up paying cash for a GMO frame and Juki98Q (I did it in steps) and I am very happy now

Blog Entries
    I am a new owner of a Gammill Optimum Plus - my husband purchased it for me used (175 hours on it) at a garage sale this summer. The couple who owned it used it for personal quilts and it was in BEAUTIFUL shape. I am learning how to use it and have done several quilts for myself but am definitely not good enough to do for other people and actually earn money for the job. I am lucky to quilt with a group that does a lot of charity quilts and they are excited to have someone who will quilt them for free (for now) so I can have quilts to practice on. Each quilt gets better. I would love to earn money with it, but for now it is for personal and friends.

Blog Entries
    i have a lenni

Blog Entries
    This is my second try at this.....I keep hitting the wrong key on this blankety blank computer keyboard. I have a Gammill Classic and absolutely LOVE IT; it was my 2008 Christmas gift from DH. My son and sisters love it as much as I do, I am the proud owner; they are the happy users. We girls use it for quilting our quilt gifts, etc. and he uses it as a source of extra income. He is really good at it. Someday I'll try to come up with the story of how I came by a Gammill instead of one of the others out there....I love being on this site and reading all your comments.

Jo Ann

Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    I have a Ken-Quilt. I've had it for sometime. Quilted 3 on it. I don't have any time left at the end of the day. I'm 82 and still cook a "Sunday" dinner every day. We office in our house and oh brother! Anyhow I have a good one. I have 5 tops to quilt of my own. Someday.
    I also have a Ken-Quilt. I want a larger throat-area, and my DH told me the other day that the next machine I get, I need to have a longer arm for a bigger quilting area, and a stitch regulator on it. I only bought this one (used) because I wasn't sure if I'd like to long-arm a quilt, but I LOVE it! If I had enough money right now, I'd buy at least a 16" with a regulator on it. DH is very supportive of my "hobby", and he's proud of my work.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

I am considering one for my own use, but hard to justify it? Ha

Blog Entries
    dont have la machine--I hand quilt what I make for myself

I have the "Liberty" from APQS. It is the sister of the Millenium. 14' steel frame. Really nice. I purchased it in 2003 to use only on my own quilts. Well, after 2 years, a friend asked if I would please just quilt one for her. Needless to say, I still have about 46 tops of mine that have never gotten quilted. Yes, I now do it for business. Maybe someday I will learn to say "no".

Hi, I have an HQ16, but I call it a long arm as it is set up on a studio frame. I quilt for myself and for charity on it. (Quilts of Valor and Christ Child Society baby quilts) but not for hire.

Saving $ and dreaming of a machine on a 12 foot frame and 22-26 throat opening.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    On my wish list list too. I have over 25 tops to quilt. Most will go to charity. I think I have some more tops in a box somewhere. trying to organize my room.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

I have a Nolting 24" with a 12 ft. table and so far don't quilt for others. I love it and knowing it's mine and I can use it whenever and However I want to is a very good feeling. I will be retiring soon and I may quilt for other, I just haven't decided yet.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

Hope you get it you will love it.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

On my wishlist also!

Blog Entries
    I truly love having my longarm machine. I just recently upgraded to a gammill classic plus from my old 1992 Nolting that I had for eight years. I am truly blessed with the Gammill. If you decide to get one, be sure to check out Longarm University for a used one that someone is selling. I know the web specials can ge good, but sometimes you can get a good quality used one. Also, depending on where you live, there are some quality dealerships that will give you a good used deal as well. I loved my old Nolting and they are a good starter machine without a doubt, but appreciate the versatility of my Gammill. I am now getting more done on the Gammill than the Nolting because of the longer throat on the gammill. Be sure to get one with a larger quilting space so you can do your 12" squares on point. That was my hold up. Good luck.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

I have a Babylock Jewel
    Carolyn

I have a viking 18x8 on imperial frame too! Love it! I make a lot of charity quilts and without it, I couldn't put out the number a month that I do! I've made 6 so far this month!! I have no desire to quilt for anyone but me!! I'm retired and I've re-entered the workforce just so I can afford these big-girl toys!!
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

I just got a Handiquilter Sweet 16 sitdown mid-arm delivered this morning! I've only played with it, but I think I'm gonna LOVE it. I've been using my Janome 6600P, so this is going to be a breeze I think : )

Quote Originally Posted by paulettepoe View Post
    i only dream of one.
    I just noticed your signature, and I totally agree! My stepdaughter goes to SUU and my brother-in-law has a cabin up at Duck Creek, we visit frequently, LOVE that adorable town!

I wanted one from the first time I saw one... But being the realist .. I figured out that if I bought the machine I wanted .. how many years of lifespan before I would want the newer better... and the maintienence ... the learning curve... So as much as I so want one its actually cheaper for me to send out about 10 quilts a year to a pro who has LOTS more design ideas and skills.
    But I still test them at shows and dream... maybe if I had a huge wind fall of cash...

I have a Voyager 17 on a Stretch Hinterberg frame. I use it mostly for my own quilts. I have done 3 quilts for pay, but with my kids and 7 grandkids, I stay too busy to make it a business. Besides, I'm with those who would feel pressured if it were a business. It's a hobby for me.

I don't have one and don't know if I could ever justify one - financially. I have only quilted one quilt - on a Janome Horizon which wasn't terrible for my first time. I'm sure it will be easier as I do more. Maybe when I stop working - I'll have more time to quilt.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast