Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Curious. How many of you have your own long arm machines?

I have an 18" Innova on a 12' frame and "Bama" is a delight in all areas.

I have an Artistic 18. I've had so much fun with it!

I have a TL18LS and qbot. Love them!
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

It is tempting! I have been looking myself. I just ask can I fit anything else into my sewing room?

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyrabbit View Post
    Hi All-

I am curious, but how many of you have your own long arm machines for PERSONAL use only? I see there are some nice specials on the web right now and its tempting. Just wondering. JC

Wow, I'm absolutely amazed to learn how many people have long arm machines for personal use. Very inspiring.

Handiquilter Avante (18")
    Pat

I have had a Pfaff Grandquilter on a Grace Company frame for over five years. I have quilted only two small charity quilts on it. My eight year old granddaughter quilted her quilt on it and won best in show at the fair last fall. If an eight year old can do it, I surely should be able to finish my 80 plus small tops on it; however, it is difficult for me to get it all loaded. I am sure that practice would make some improvement, but it is still hard for me to take the plunge and do it.

I have a Baby Lock Crown Jewel which is an 18 inch - same machine as the HQ Avante. I do not charge for services but have let 2 friends use it. I did some baby quilts for others for our outreach project for the guild. I love my machine and have done 16 quilts in 8 months and each one has been a joy to do. So much fun! It was worth every penny.
    Beth in Maryland

Blog Entries
    I have a Bailey 17.
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

I don't have a long arm, but I did buy a used Gracie II frame & Juki machine. I love using it and it does fit into my sewing room, but I'd love to have a long arm. But, I don't have the space or the money for a long arm. The book that came with my frame says it will take up to a 13" machine. I'm hoping to buy a used one of those. I sure like using the frame & not getting on the floor to spray baste & pin my quilts.

I have a mid-arm Juki on a Pennywinkle frame. I like it BUT it takes me forever to pin my top and back on....I am thinking of getting zippers to put in it...The only drawback is the throat is not big enough to do larger quilts.

I have an HQ 16

I don't have room for one.....unless I move my husband out of the barn....After 48 years that doesn't seem to be a possibilty.....

I've had my Gammill longarm for 17 years and use it for my own quilts and my daughters. Recently I've tried to sell it only because I am trying to downsize a bit. But to tell the truth I haven't put much effort into trying to sell it. And now I'm thinking I'm going to keep her. That is unless just by word of mouth someone hears I'm trying to sell it. Until then I'm going to continue using it. She's been a great machine. I've saved myself lots of money by doing my own quilting. Good luck with trying to find a machine
    Linda from Clinton

I bought a 26" Tin Lizzie yesterday at the Mid-Atlantic quilt fest. I've never used a long arm before, other than testing them at shows. I was very pleased with the feel of the Tin Lizzie. I tested the gammil machines but the vibration was noticeable in the handles.

I put my husband into severe shock when I called to let him know I was buying a long arm. My plan all along was to buy a Flynn quilting frame, simply to help me learn how to do FM. So I went planning to buy a bicycle and came home with a Mercedes. LOL
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

Same for me. But i also quilt for others.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
    I have a Tin Lizzie 18LS, if it wasn't for her, very few of my quilts would get finished. Love it.

Blog Entries
    I have a mid arm with a qBot-otherwise I wouldn't use it-I've never taken the time to learn to use it for custom or pantos-it does the job for me-only limitation is size-no king size for me!
    It's not a stash-it's a fabric library!
    http://www.mamisquilts.com/

Hi Hockeyrabbit,
    I have a Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen which is a sit down version of the stand up HQ Sixteen. I use if for my professional (art quilts/mixed media) and personal use. I LOVE IT!! I researched for over two months before purchasing it. I wanted larger throat space, better light and more visibility to the needle. It has made quilting and thread play comfortable and fun. The biggest difference is the quilt has to be basted in some fashion or pinned rather than mounted on rails and of course sitting or standing. Test drive as many different machines as you can, that's the best way to see what suits you.
    A FiBurGerl

I have a mid-arm. A Brother 1500 on a New Joy frame. Love it and it times would love to upgrade to a long-arm, but still a little intimidated by it.
    Proud Navy Mom!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChatterBugQuilts?ref=pr_shop

The Sweet Sixteen sit-down model has peaked my interest. I had a small test drive at the quilt show last weekend. Hmmm.... now, where to get the money..... I wish I could find a used one but that seems to be a pipe dream.

Shari

Quote Originally Posted by FiBurGerl View Post
    Hi Hockeyrabbit,
    I have a Handi Quilter Sweet Sixteen which is a sit down version of the stand up HQ Sixteen. I use if for my professional (art quilts/mixed media) and personal use. I LOVE IT!! I researched for over two months before purchasing it. I wanted larger throat space, better light and more visibility to the needle. It has made quilting and thread play comfortable and fun. The biggest difference is the quilt has to be basted in some fashion or pinned rather than mounted on rails and of course sitting or standing. Test drive as many different machines as you can, that's the best way to see what suits you.
    A FiBurGerl

Every brand of long arm was at the Mid-Atlantic quilt festival this week. It was wonderful being able to test each one. I love going to quilt shows, the people you meet are always so lovely. Quilters are like no one on earth. You can sit down and instantly have a conversation about anything. It was wonderful going to lunch, you could sit at any table and find a friend.
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

A couple of things I should have mentioned - As Shari said - the cost and the HQ Sweet Sixteen doesn't take up as much room as a stand up. One of the reasons I finally took the leap is because the price was about $600.00 less than it was offered locally...and life is short!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks View Post
    I have a Tin Lizzie. (love it)
    So do you find with a long arm, you don't get as much time to do as much piecing as you'd like? Do you have people asking you to do quilt tops for them? I love to sew and quilt. It would seem to me that if people know you have a long arm you won't have time to do the things you love. How do you all feel about this? Thanks
    Love 4 stchen

I have a Tin Lizzie 18LS with Shirley Stitcher
    Fat Quarters have fewer calories than a Hot Fudge Sundae!
    http://debsquiltsandthings.blogspot.com/

Just let it be known that you dont quilt for the public and I don't think it would be a problem. If you start taking in their quilting however, you'll get busy pretty quickly. Seems word travels quickly if you have a long arm.

Quote Originally Posted by stchenfool View Post
    So do you find with a long arm, you don't get as much time to do as much piecing as you'd like? Do you have people asking you to do quilt tops for them? I love to sew and quilt. It would seem to me that if people know you have a long arm you won't have time to do the things you love. How do you all feel about this? Thanks
    Fat Quarters have fewer calories than a Hot Fudge Sundae!
    http://debsquiltsandthings.blogspot.com/

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast