Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you applique your top to the batting >

Do you applique your top to the batting

Do you applique your top to the batting

Old 09-11-2015, 04:40 AM

As you can see, there are all kinds of ways to do applique. I prefer to trace my applique pieces onto a "sewable" fusible and iron my fabric with the right side up to the fusible. Follow the directions on the fusible, because there is a side that you pull an extra piece off, which is done before you place the cut out piece on the background fabric before sewing down with the sewing machine. This is a good video of my preferred method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKuCZmr5URA

Edited to add: This video is more like the Sharon Schamber method. I haven't tried it, but would if I wanted an extra special, very nice, clean looking applique. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItBeO5qxWl8

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 09-11-2015 at 04:46 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:43 AM

What kind of fusible backing do you use to iron on the applique?
Old 09-11-2015, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by P-BurgKay View Post
I am a hand quilter, I do all of my quilting, then I do my needle turn applique. This is how I prefer to do it. It is a little harder, but it works for me.
I saw an exquisite example of this done on a machine quilted quilt. The background was all cross hatch, then the quilter added the applique. It was stunning and wow did it save the quilter having to do a ton of backtracking going around all the applique in the border. It was gorgeous vines and leaves and flowers.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:13 PM

I like the Steam-a-Seam Lite. Floriani makes a lightweight brand. I believe Pellon has something similar that can be sewn down easily by machine.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:12 AM

I applique on the top and when top is complete then quilt the piece. Small projects you can probably do either way, but for large applique quilt tops it is much easier to complete the top then do the quilting. Let us know what you decide and have fun with it.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:45 AM

I seem to be reading a lot of of you machine applique just on the top without batting. If I did that my blanket stitching would not be even. I have always been told to either applique on the top with the batting on or with all three layers attached and go thru all. Depends on what you want to show thru on the back. Patchabilities patterns suggest you sew thru all three layers so you don't have to quilt when your all done.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I saw an exquisite example of this done on a machine quilted quilt. The background was all cross hatch, then the quilter added the applique. It was stunning and wow did it save the quilter having to do a ton of backtracking going around all the applique in the border. It was gorgeous vines and leaves and flowers.
Yes I just did that on a quilt and it worked great. The applique really stands out.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:52 AM

I do needle-turn and applique only to the top fabric. Then I put the sandwich together and prepare it for quilting.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:22 AM

I've always appliquéd only to the top as I like to use some of my fancy stitches on my Bernina to embellish. I think that if I tried to embellish with the embroidery stitches through 4 layers (appliqué, top, batting and backing) I'd likely get some puckering. But I've never tried it - so not sure about that.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by KnitnutBZ View Post
I seem to be reading a lot of of you machine applique just on the top without batting. If I did that my blanket stitching would not be even. I have always been told to either applique on the top with the batting on or with all three layers attached and go thru all. Depends on what you want to show thru on the back. Patchabilities patterns suggest you sew thru all three layers so you don't have to quilt when your all done.
To add applique just to the backing piece and NOT to the quilt itself, I use a stabilizer on the back of the applique backing piece. There are several types: tear-away paper, which works well if you don't have tight turns and cross-over stitching; wash/rinse-away, which is easy IF you don't mind washing/rinsing your finished piece; and I've also used a very light-weight muslin as a stabilizer which stays in the finished piece. Using the stabilizer will keep your stitches even and not bunching up. Try it on a scrap; it really works well. After assembling the appliqued block onto the quilt, I then quilt whatever part of that block I desire: usually an outline around the applique and then add whatever quilting I am using on the rest of the block to the surrounding areas of the applique. I don't USUALLY quilt the applique itself. One thing I do not care for (personal preference) is to quilt UNDER the applique. I've found that the quilting stitches show thru to the applique which detracts from the applique itself. Hope this helps.