Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Do You Belong To A Quilt Guild

i cant believe this topic came up !! i just came in from outside where i met a new friend she just moved to the area and we were talking she quilts also and is in a Quilt Guild and wants me to join or come with her Monday night to see if i like it so i am thinking about it they are haveing a trunk show that night and she did mention they have snacks and chocolate at every get together!!

Power Poster
    I meet with 7-10 people in our local elementry school. We have been meeting together for approximately 18 years. We have new people who come and some who leave. We all work on our own projects but once in a while we work on something together. We meet for 10 week sesions for $45.00 3 times a year and had to designate one of us as an instructor in order to hold the sessions in the school. The peple are all very nice, friendly and supportative and of all ages.

Blog Entries
    I did belong to the local quilt guild, but I found that the level of actual quilting I get done goes down, and I start feeling pressured. Please understand, they are a wonderful friendly group, and I like them all, they just have more time/passion to devote to all the projects they do. I was looking more for a sewing group as opposed to political type group. I still go to all the quilt shows, and wish them well, it's just not my cup of tea.

I am President of our local quilt guild. 3 years ago we started out with 30 people and today we have about 85. Our meetings are on the 3rd Tues. of each month, Jan - Nov. We meet, greet and snack from 5:30-6:00 approx., have a short business meeting, followed by either a guest speaker or program by a member and then we have show and tell. We have work days once a month when we work on charity items or learn a new technique. Our quilt show is held every other year so we are getting ready for our largest one yet in 2011.

The guild here is NYC costs $55. They have a speaker every month and a workshop. Raffles, vendors, freebie table, you name it. A lot of high energy & the show & tell is amazing. Also a lot of chit-chat .

I am sew lucky to belong to the Parker Piece Keepers guild in Parker, Colorado. There are three of us on the board that are members now. This is a guild that was new as of January of this year. There are no cliques that have formed. It is a loving and nurturing group of quilters. We have members of all ages, both men and women, and of all levels of experience. We have quilters that have been quilting judges and those that have not made one quilt yet. The president is holding four beginning quilt classed this fall for free. We do block swaps, pot holder swaps and Christmas ornament swaps. There is a sharing time at all meetings except for last week. We had local vendors come in and set up tables and each one had a demonstration of their latest and greatest items. I enjoyed it so much. I hesitated for years and did not join a guild until this year. I absolutely love it.

Blog Entries
    Yes! I love my guild. We have about 50 members- small but friendly. We have a short business meeting, and then show & tell and a demo. Our members do the demos. We have alot of sharing. Beach retreat (3 days) and a summer retreat 2 days.
    I have learned so much from the quilting ladies!
    SandGail

Yes, I have been in the guild for a year this month. We meet the third Monday of the month. We have officers, show and tell, pledges and guest speakers. There are around 35 members. A few of us recently went to a quilters retreat. We are getting to have a quilt show at the library.
    I have really enjoyed it. Our members are very helpful, friendly, and some are skilled quilters and some aren't and some just experienced. But noone seems to look down on you for not knowing something.
    Hopefully, there are others in my guild on the board. I have told them about it. Hey, Love County Quilters if you are here let us know. :thumbup:

I belong to the Mountain Piecemakers guild in North Carolina. We have about 80 members--some are seasonals, only here in spring and summer. We meet the 2nd Tuesday of each month--business meeting and then show and tell. We also have an all day sewing session for projects of your choosing on the 4th Tuesday of each month. There is a bank in town with a community room, so we meet there once a month also. We take field trips to fabric stores and quilt shows in the area. The last one was a trip to Maggie Valley for their quilt show. Next month we will go to VA. to Batiks,etc. We have a show once a yr during the Mt Mitchell Crafts Fair. I retired 2 years ago and have never had so much motivation and support as I do now from guild members!

Quote Originally Posted by thequilterslink
    Our little guild, 8 members meet the 2nd tuesday of the month during the day time. We have a small business meeting, then we sew, either on a charity quilt, a group project or our own stuff. We eat , talk , laugh, get a lot done some days, not much on others. We make quilts for families in the vicinity that have had house fires, and other local charities that need help. We do outings to quilt shows, shop hops and just excursions to interesting stuff. I really enjoy it.
    that would be just the type of guild i'm looking for... the local here is huge & not very welcoming...

I belong to a guild. CAMEO (Come And Meet Each Other) and that is what they do. There is a business meeting in which they always express what CAMEO stands for and always welcome visitors and new members. Dues are $40 a year. We meet Sept-May. Sometimes there are speakers or members will teach something. The group has snacks. There are several committees in which they encourageyou to join. We have a library, a block exchange, charity projects and an annual retreat. I've been in a year and have enjoyed it alot.
    I also meet once a month at a school with a group of teachers. The lady leading usually brings or makes dinner. You pay $14.50 to cover dinner cost and room use. The leader usually offers different projects you can buy or has a quilt project going. she loves cutting. the problem with this group is that most are teachers and get out of work early. I'm a secretary in our school admin office and work later. Usually they begin to leav around 8pm which by time I get there and start it's over. Overall both groups are nice.

Blog Entries
    I have been going to a class (Not a guild) for a few years and really enjoy it. We have about 20 members depending on weather conditions and it is realy informative. Teacher has many new subjects to show us but you can work away on your own if you prefer. There is always great chat and we have cuppa half way through. It runs once a week from Sept till June.

I currently belong to a small guild called the Little Sew and Sew. Our membership is $30.00. We meet every second Thursday. All our quilts are hand sewn. This is a very friendly group. We just finished a quilt for a raffle, the proceeds will be used to prepare a *goody box* for our soldiers in Afghanistan. We have a retreat each year and a show every two years.

I also belonged to two other guilds. One was more a cultural affair with guests,trunk show and outings. The other was a large group very structured but with a lot of competition between the *stars*. I was asked to belong to a committee, but the members met without telling me , they decided I was living too far and that probably I couldn't do the job because my mother tongue is French. Every group is different , I guess you have to find one where you feel welcome and declared guilty before you committed the crime. The one , (LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by no1jan
    I am actually considering joining my local guild. It runs from September through June at a cost of $25.00.

The problem is the October meeting was not an actual meeting. Today is a quilt show that they are running and teh meeting was basically setting up for the show. I do plan on going to the show today.

November's meeting is a sit and sew where they make donation quilts. I don't feel comfortable going as they already have their groups of personal friends they quilt with.

December is the Christmas party, which I don't feel comfortable in going to either since I have not been a member.

That leaves January through June, and January is our worst month of the year for snow, cold, and ice.

I would really like to join a group of people with similar interests.

Basically I plan on seeing how the quilt show goes today, before deciding. Hopefully I will meet some members and feel more comfortable.

Looking forward to seeing other people's responses.
    In 2009 I went to a "local" quilt show and loved what I saw. I talked with some of the ladies in the guild and told them I'd like to join but had some reservations bec I'm only here certain months of the year. They encouraged me to come and see what I thought. It was six months before I got there, but when I did, I joined and love it better than the other guild I go to in another state!! Very different, but I love it. Jump in!! Quilters love other quilters!!

I have never joined a quilting guild.
    Always thought they would be too political like everything else.
    And figured the time driving to all the meetings could be better spent at home sewing.

A lady in our guild made a bunch of them during our Sat sewing day. She made the yoke out of cotton and sewed a dish towel to the bottom. Maybe this will help. I imagine any yoke from an adult pattern would work.

Blog Entries
    I no longer have enough time to join a guild. I work at the church clothing ministry one day a week and at the food bank 2 days a week and it takes up the rest of the week with choir practice, my grand children, extra curricular sewing (sewing for others) and the fun I have with community quilts through my church, then comes the precoius time to do the quilting that I want to do.

Hi! I've been tuning in to the Quilting Board for some weeks but this is my first response! Here, in England, I belong to a quilting group which meets monthly from September - April. We have several Saturday workshops each year but the evening meetings are for us to sit back and be enthralled by speakers with wonderful quilts. Our membership is about 70. Several of you have mentioned 'Rogers Rules' - what are they, please?

Blog Entries
    A guild could be a wonderful place for learning and just getting together with other gals/guys that quilt. I unfortunately went to one meeting about 30 years ago where the atmosphere was very tense; woman were snapping at each other, several gals insisted on being in charge, and they spend an enormous time on "business," rather than quilting. I have been part of two very informal groups that have been wonderful. The ladies were all very positive, encouraging, and shared their knowledge freely with no competition. And there was no gossip! For me it's more important to be with a group we are compatible with than a "serious" guild. I hope you find a good one.

I join a guild last year. Attended the day meeting, found over 50 people, then visited the evening meeting. About 16 people. mostly all employed. This is all one guild. Evening group rotate bringing food for dinner. We bring our machines and sew, meeting is about an hour, we have show and tell. We have classes by volunteers every couple of months. The day group have trunk shows monthly. This is fairly active guild with workshops and community service projects. From day one everyone was friendly and helpful to newbies. Cost $30/year. I'm glad I joined.

I joined a local guild last year, probably about 30-35 members. We meet once a month, $1.00 for attendance, we have a buy/sell table with profits to the local food pantry. We do BOM, show& tell,hospice quilts& Quilts of Valor. One summer meeting and the Dec meting are followed by taureen suppers and we do a summer shop hop. I wish we had a workkday each month, its fun to quilt with friends.

Don't belong to a quilt guild.
    I am new at quilting.
    I joined our LWML at the Lutheran Church I attend.
    We make quilts for Ronald McDonalds House.
    This year we have a new project. Quilts for the Military injured men returning from war.
    Also we make a Quilt each year for our supper supper in February.

Quote Originally Posted by newjeepgreen
    I have been going to a class (Not a guild) for a few years and really enjoy it. We have about 20 members depending on weather conditions and it is realy informative. Teacher has many new subjects to show us but you can work away on your own if you prefer. There is always great chat and we have cuppa half way through. It runs once a week from Sept till June.
    Sounds like fun!! I wish I was somewhere close, and could be involved.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I belong to ours here in Pittsburg, Ks. We have about 100 members; not all active, by any means.
    The structure is that we have the business mtg. first, then show and tell, then a break. After that, we usually have a guest speaker. They are to not go over 1 hr..
    We meet from 7p.m., and it is supposed to end at 9:00..
    We have a workday to work on Community Quilts;;shelters, children abandoned at the fire station, police station, the Ronald McDonald House in Joplin, The Cancer Center at the local hospital, the Dialysis Center here in town. The list goes on and on.
    Some get quite "clickey" and don't think they can speak to anyone but their certain friends. I don't think it is that big of a deal, but they seem to. Some who are outstanding quilters get the same attitude. Some quilt from sun-up to sun-down, and of course you can tell they are extra good at it.
    I am in it to learn, see what others are doing, get ideas, make new friends. We don't really learn much at the meetings. If you want to learn certain techniques, you would need to go to the class the day of the meeting. The night speaker will give a presentation on a new pattern, new technique, ect...Those are $30.00, lunch included, plus the pattern and fabric. I don't take many classes, as you end up with a UFO, and I have plenty of those already.
    It is worth the $25.00 yearly dues. We have a guild library, which I use just to see the pictures in the books, but don't really have the time to read any.
    Mariah

I am in a quilt group of 8 people. We meet one Saturday a month. Seems to be quit a little bit of drama which is disturbing. The ladies are not to willing to share their talents and I am very much a beginner. I would like to find another group but the guilds and other clubs around me meet during the day and I work. I am so thankful to have found this board because I have learned so much from all of you!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast