Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you do BOMs? (Block of the Month) >

Do you do BOMs? (Block of the Month)

Do you do BOMs? (Block of the Month)

Old 06-05-2013, 05:05 AM

I started a BOM and wish that I hadn't. The fabric is not that great and it will take forever to finish as you get only one block at a time. I like to start and finish one or two quilts before going on to another and this get me down when I have to wait a whole year to finish one. When you stop and figure the cost it seems to cost more for the BOM than to buy the fabric for a whole quilt at one time,.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:51 AM

I enjoy BOM's. Currently working on 3 different ones. One is offered on line. Get's posted on the first of the month. The other two are from local shops. One shop's BOM is free. Jan. block cost $5.00, each month if you return to the store with the completed block they hand you the next block. Works for me. Moves me out of my comfort zone.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:02 AM

I'm a mood quilter - so a BOM probably wouldn't be the best thing for me. It's not unusual for me to take a 6-8 week break from quitling.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:03 AM

I love BOM's I am doing one at LQS and craftsy 2013, and two others from the internet. Love these to just do some sewing each month and better when doing them with friends which LQS one and bible stories from Quilters Loft web blog..
Old 06-05-2013, 06:09 AM

I started out doing BOM's to learn. My LQS does the small cost at beginning to cover the cost of pattern. I learn new things and each month when I go back for my new block I get to spend time looking at thier new items and all that lovely fabric. I always end up buying something. So they are making money and I get something new and fun to work on till the next month. I don't always like thier fabrics. But I can change something out if I want as long as it fits in with the color scheme. It is mine to do with as I like. Also it is good to get your finishing supplies early if possible because they go really fast. I have tried the free ones online as well but usually miss a month or loose track of what one I am working on. :/
Old 06-05-2013, 06:23 AM

I did a BOM a few years ago. I am still working on it.
Hope to finish it one day.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:34 AM

I seem to be a BOM collector LOL I have finished ONE, have started three more in various stages of completion and have probably 5 more still in the bags, with one still arriving. Of all the quilts I have made, I have only kept 2 (my first finished BOM and a baby floor quilt for the GC's visits, so somehow all those quilts for others take preference and I never can get back to my BOM's. Oh well, they are all bundled, ready and waiting for....................someday.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 AM

I generally like block of the months. I've done several ranging from free on the internet with your own fabric to $30 dollar a month BOMs. There was one I ended up hating and still haven't finished the blocks. One of my friends talked me into doing the Saturday Sampler with her. It was one of the pay 5 bucks the first month and if you bring back the completed block you get the next one free. I think I only did maybe three of the blocks and just paid for the rest of them. It was done with templates and I really hate templates.

Right now I'm working on two BOMs. One is Vintage Valentine and the other one is Christmas Traditions from the book "Four Seasons at Minglewood".

I'm going to be working through UFOs the next few months so I might get to that Saturday Sampler quilt.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 AM

I've done quite a few BOMs in years past, some were great fun and turned out well, but others were pure frustration ! Pattern errors, shorted fabric etc. One I gave away to a friend, who also gave up on it ! I've tried a few online freebies since I have stash I need to use !! I tried to follow Barbara Brackman's Civil War series, I love CW quilts - but couldn't keep up with her ! Work gets in my way ...
Most shop BOMs are quite pricey - compared to buying your own fabrics - but you're paying for the convenience and having all the fabrics.

Last edited by TexasGurl; 06-05-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:21 AM

I have done the civil war blocks of the month which are very expensive. I need to do the ones where you get the pattern but can pick your own fabric. I have two tops done ready to quilt (civil war) & will do other quilts for awhile.