Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you do BOMs? (Block of the Month) >

Do you do BOMs? (Block of the Month)

Do you do BOMs? (Block of the Month)

Old 06-05-2013, 08:44 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I do both the ones where they send you the pattern and kit each month and I do the ones where I get the patterns online and use my own fabric. I really love BOMs. Like JanRN said - you make different blocks all the time - you are always learning. When I took Craftsy 2012 Free BOM I learned so many new ways to make blocks. And I'm doing this year's Craftsy 2013 Free BOM and just did 'Y' seams for the first time. It wasn't as hard as I thought, but I didn't enjoy doing 'Y' seams a bit. I learn so much from BOMs. Much more than from just making quilts. I still make quilts, but I love BOMs. Except one block I received had 81 pieces and it was 12 1/2" big only. Never did do that block.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:30 AM

At my LQS, we also do Saturday Sampler. You go the first month, pay $7.00 get the block pattern and fabric for that block, you have a month to make, take it back made and get the next free. At the end of the 12 months she offers a finishing kit and backing at 20% off. I probably have 30 ready to be finished. But I love making the blocks but more just going to the quilt shop. It's my happy place.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:01 AM

I do or will finish doing the Craftsy BOM, I made the 1st one "Asteric" <--spelling, and ended up making enough blacks out of just that 1 for a queen top, haven't done the sashing or boarders yet but I do have the material for them.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Edie View Post
I would love to do a BOM, but I can't afford them. I did get the Farmer's Wife book and will do one with my own fabric.And to be totally honest, I have seen them at Hancock and JoAnn's and I don't particularly care for the fabric choices and when I do get to start on the Farmer's Wife, it will be all my own choices, which is just something I prefer anyhow and am able to use up my own fabric.

Right now I am helping a neighbor patch the underarm of his bathrobe and will do that all by hand and then applique a fussy-cutted piece on the center of the patch. I have been teasing him about it for a while now. It is a red background with white and a big black ant on it. I think it was used for a table cloth and/or napkins! Now they are perfect for I Spy quilts and just adding a bit of levity to something. Edie

Edie, check out the free BOMs on Craftsy. In January I mistakenly signed up for the 2012 BOM. So since I could watch anytime I got finished with the blocks already but haven't put together yet. I have to say I loved it & it was my 1st Craftsy class. Now I have several one of which is the BOM for 2013 and it's free. Some of the blocks aren't my favorite but it did push this long time quilter to try new techniques
Old 06-05-2013, 12:36 PM

I started the BOTM this year on this board and I'm really enjoying it. I look forward to the new pattern on the 1st of the month and it gives me a break from whatever else I'm sewing at the time.

I signed up for both Crafsy BOTM classes but I haven't made any. I didn't like the design of some, and never got around to starting the others. That reminds me I have several paid Craftsy classes I haven't even started on!
Old 06-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

I haven't done one yet but am saving several patterns
Old 06-05-2013, 06:36 PM

I have several in various states. I have the first one I bought and only 1 one block started. Then I have finished a couple that I have done at my old LQS. I have some through online purchases that I need to start, but really liked the patterns.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:14 PM

I haven't done any BOMs yet - I've a new sewer/quilter (since Christmas) but one of my local quilt shops had one on displayed at their store and I fell in love with it. Wish they offered a class to go along with it because it involves some applique and other techniques I haven't learned (or rather practiced/perfected) yet! So I'm intimidated and don't do it....
Old 06-05-2013, 10:16 PM

I think BOM's are great for teaching skills and getting a scrappy look. I rarely do block quilts anymore. I'm into art quilting and BOM's are rarely art related.

BTW, I've created and organized 2 BOM for local quilds.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
I started the BOTM this year on this board and I'm really enjoying it. I look forward to the new pattern on the 1st of the month and it gives me a break from whatever else I'm sewing at the time.
same here, I haven't started the June BOM yet but I have learned new skills doing the blocks thus far. I am using the same fabrics and color combinations, bright reds, white and blues in each block so they will play well together when I go to assemble the quilt.