Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do YOU: Finish THIS one ... before starting THAT one???? >

Do YOU: Finish THIS one ... before starting THAT one????

Do YOU: Finish THIS one ... before starting THAT one????

Old 08-08-2012, 04:18 PM

Default finishing projects

I have lots of projects going and I am trying to make myself finish UFO's b4 starting new projects, but baby quilts, and wedding quilts get in the way sometimes... I have finished about 3 UFO's in this last year.. Still have lots to go.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:29 PM

I only do one project at a time right now , but I have a bulletin board full of my "bucket list" projects that I want to do. Love it all, and love all the knowledge I get from this board as I am self taught and only been at this quilting thing since I retired.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Cyn

I like the process as much or even more than the final project so I have way too many UFO's!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:33 PM

I have five going right now. The PLAN is to finish ALL of them before starting a new one, but we'll see how that goes!
Old 08-08-2012, 07:02 PM

I always have multiple projects going at any given time. A few get put aside for literally years, but I tend to get something done just about every week or two. I think I do my best work when I'm feeling fired up about it. I also like to have a few things going that are "promised," maybe not in the sense that the person who will get them would know, but I've promised myself to get them done in time for a birthday or promised myself I'd have a donation quilt done in time for the next guild meeting, or that sort of thing. I have found that if I do get something done fairly regularly, it helps to keep me from getting discouraged about the things that are not necessarily moving along on a noticeable schedule. It's good to have a few projects that can be finished quickly, just to assure myself that I'm not hopelessly floundering. Like you, I have done all sorts of crafts over the years, but I tend to focus on one at a time.

One technique that I learned from one of my kids' swimming coach years ago is to mentally visualize the project progressing to completion. It's a matter of thinking it through, down to tiny details of each step. I find that a lot of times when something stalls it's because there is a decision to be made, such as what kind of border is needed on a quilt, and until I see something in my head and see how to do it, the next step simply will not happen.

As others have said, it does feel good to finish something.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by icon17 View Post
Me again! I too have made about 5 rag quilts (w/fancy blocks) Making them is NO small job all that CLIPing is WORK! even with the right clipping scissors. so If all you have done so far is them BE Proud!!
icon17 .... I did kinda forget about the clipping. And you're right, on that queen quilt, it was a LOT of work!!! But I sat at the table and went row by row and it went pretty fast. The baby quilt, I did while watching TV, clipping here and then there ..... and then after I washed it, I found a few places I had missed. Thinking the *table method* is the best (at least for me) ....

And I used the Fons & Porter Ragging Shears??? Have you tried them??? They are wonderful! My fingers/hands never got sore, but my shoulders did ache after one two-hour clipping session.

And I have to say ... I love rag quilts!!! But I do want to learn the proper finishing techniques!!!

jody
Old 08-09-2012, 02:50 AM

I don't have much of a quilting budget so I always finish one project before I start another. Not that I want to - lol!
Old 08-09-2012, 04:39 AM

I have 4 different projects going right now and I'm feeling just a little guilty because 3 are for friends. I have ALWAYS been a "one at a time" person, but as I get older, I find that I am easily bored - hence the variety! In the end, I'm sure it will all work out!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 AM

Myself I can't stand the confusion. I work on one project in my sewer room while I'm quilting one in the TV room.. My counted cross stitch somehow got put on hold
Old 08-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Dix

I am a finisher! But, I love to hand quilt, so I always have one in the process and sometimes one on the sewing machine. Lots of fabric calling me and ideas spinning in my head. I will not live long enough to do all I want to. I like seeing my quilts done!!!!