Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you guys ever purchase bolts of fabric? >

do you guys ever purchase bolts of fabric?

do you guys ever purchase bolts of fabric?

Old 05-06-2014, 06:44 AM

Location: San Isidro de San Ramon, Costa Rica & Calgary, Canada

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I am looking to start a new project that will need a lot fabric.. but pretty much all the same fabric. Does anyone here know the best place to buy bolts of fabric? Free shipping would be awesome Thank you!
I don't know about it being the best place, but I just ordered from Fabric4less in CA. The prices are great and I'm sure the shipping within the US is doable. I am shipping to Canada and when I get it I will advise shipping.
Wendy
Old 05-06-2014, 07:26 AM

I purchased bolts of cotton sateen in black and cream. One side is shiny, and the other side is regular, kind of like glossy and matte paint. I use both sides to give movement to the quilt. It is the most expensive fabric on my shelves and came in a 10 yard bolt. My LQS special ordered it for me, so I paid full price. But it is worth every penny. I used the cream for background fabric on some needle-turned applique blocks, and the sheen of the fabric really made the blocks.

I also buy bolts of Kona cotton (especially black and snow), muslin, fusible interfacing, regular interfacing, and teflon fabric when it is on sale or if I have a 50% coupon. I would buy batting and Insulbright by the bolt if I had a place to store it (if I ever get a LA machine, I will definitely buy it by the bolt).
Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Marshall's has lots of pictures of fabric and inside the store on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marsh...16923791672388
Old 05-06-2014, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Wish I could buy by the bolt but money and timing never seem to accommodate each other!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:50 PM

I have a very huge stash and I need to start getting rid of some of it. Most pieces I have are 3 yards and up. It you are looking for something e-mail me and I'll let you know if I have it. I am talking I own over 1000 yards of fabric
Old 05-07-2014, 12:51 PM

After seeing this post and some of the places people buy bolts of fabric from I went to fabric4less.com and purchased a batik, a beautiful print, and a tone on tone. At first inspection I am extreamly happy with the batik and very happy with the others. The prices were really good, the cost and speed of shipping is fantastic. So far the quality of the product is very good I won't know for sure till I have time to unwind some of it and make sure they are printed well and straight. But the first layers are showing well. Factoring in the shipping I still paid much less per yard than I can get at my LQS. Cost of fabric and and shipping averaged out at $4.07 a better price than what I pay on the clearance tables here. Only problem I see is getting too excited and having way to much left over fabrics.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:03 AM

I try to buy my batting by the bolt. When a new JoAnn's opened up near me (30 minutes) I had a 50 % cupon and bought the whole roll......It is the second time I did that and it's great to know that I saved that much money and that I always have batting handy.