Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you keep a pictorial record of your work? >

Do you keep a pictorial record of your work?

Do you keep a pictorial record of your work?

Old 06-18-2010, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

I have pics of most of my quilts. I love looking at the first ones and than the ones I do now. There has been some improvement. :D And there is still rooms for lots more.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:20 AM

I have taken digital photos of all my quilts and have posted them in a blog (and I keep backups of the computer's hard drive, just in case). I've just started putting labels on the quilts I've gifted to others.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Yes, when I started quilting 4 years ago I decided to take pictures of all the quilts I have done, and put them into a notebook with information on when, for whom, etc. My grandaughter loves to take the notebook down and look through it.
Great advice. I've taken pix but computer crashed and now I have no pix.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:13 AM

I started a quilt journal soon after I started quilting so I have photos of "almost" all my quilts. A few of the very 1st ones I know who they went to but don't have pics, and one very special quilt that I gave as a baby gift I let get away without a picture. Breaks my heart. I like going back and seeing how I have progressed in the this 5 years.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 AM

There is a phrase that always needs repeating. "Technology will fail you always. Back up, Back up, Back up." It was a sign we hung in our lab for reminding people not to rely on saving to one place. It also is good to know that your CD's will go bad eventually so check them periodically and change the information stored onto the newest format. It really is the pits when you realize something important is stored on something that you can no longer read or have a drive for (my particular fun is the LS-120 drives. They looked like a 3 1/2 inch floppy but stored like 100 megabytes more than the HD floppy but they looked the same. Too bad that one never really took off. The CD came out about the same time.) Guess who has stuff stored on floppies that can no longer be read by anything?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:52 AM

I just ordered a floppy drive reader. It cost about $16.00 from Amazon.com. My church had about 8 binders full of church clip art on floppy that none of our computers could read. I didn't want to throw them all away, so we got a reader and transferred them all to CD. Maybe that would work for your old floppies.
Originally Posted by lab fairy
There is a phrase that always needs repeating. "Technology will fail you always. Back up, Back up, Back up." It was a sign we hung in our lab for reminding people not to rely on saving to one place. It also is good to know that your CD's will go bad eventually so check them periodically and change the information stored onto the newest format. It really is the pits when you realize something important is stored on something that you can no longer read or have a drive for (my particular fun is the LS-120 drives. They looked like a 3 1/2 inch floppy but stored like 100 megabytes more than the HD floppy but they looked the same. Too bad that one never really took off. The CD came out about the same time.) Guess who has stuff stored on floppies that can no longer be read by anything?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:54 AM
JJs
Banned

I have photos on the computer, but also a printout of all of them - in a picture album with notes on the name I gave the quilt, who I gave it to, whether it's pieced by hand or machine, and whether machine or hand quilted, and if machine quilted who did it - I had a few done by a LQS but then started with meandering on the 301 and then got the Bailey.
Also the date I finished the quilt if I have that information (on the quilts I did almost 30 years ago there's no way I remember that!)
Old 06-18-2010, 10:58 AM

When I remember to I take pics of what I've made. Around the holidays I feel rushed so I forgot to take pics before sending them out.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:00 AM

I keep 2 journals, one with ideas, color combinations that turn me on, decorative tiles, fences, anything that tweak my creativity. The other is all my finished quilts, etc. with pictures, info on the patterns, corrections I had to make, what I would do if I made it again, etc. Its amazing going thru it with my granddaughter, I can't remember some of them or where they went. 26 years of quilting does take a toll on the memory
Old 06-18-2010, 11:12 AM

Although I own two external floppy drives for other reasons, none will handle LS-120. A "floppy" is 1.44 MB. An LS-120 looks like a floppy but holds 120 MB. They are very different breeds of cat.