Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you keep a pictorial record of your work? >

Do you keep a pictorial record of your work?

Do you keep a pictorial record of your work?

Old 06-19-2010, 03:50 PM

I'm lucky enough that when I started quilting, I also started keeping a "journal." It's a file in my computer (backed up to another drive) called: Quilt Provenances. Each time I start a quilt, I make an entry in the journal. I put in the name of the quilt, the date I started. If I don't do that, I forget when I started the quilt!!! :oops:

It's kinda' funny because the quilts are in order chronological order of when I STARTED...of course the finished quilts would be a completely different matter.

My aunt was an amazing quilter from the "old days." She started quilting when she was eight, in 1913. She hand cut with scissors, hand pieced and hand quilted every quilt she made. She made her own templates out of linoleum or cardboard. When she died, I had three quilts she had given me and inherited all of her quilts. I only knew the story on one of them. The rest I have no idea when she quilted them, what the story was behind them. I've taken them to appraisers, which gives me a ballpark figure of time. But since she always used scraps from dresses she made for herself, my sister and me, plus fabric given by friends to her, it's really hard to settle on a time.

She taught me a lesson...always document your quilts!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 03:53 PM

I just started quilting about 6 mths. ago. Just completed 2 tops and will definitely keep pics of everything I do. :lol:
Old 06-19-2010, 06:23 PM

I do now and print tucked in an album w/who it went to. Have been in the situation where someone says, "remember the one you gave me" and I think "did I give them a Quilt?" ;) I just ask if their still enjoying it.
Call me a little fussy but when I give one a way, also include that if they don't like it, use it as a car cover, or make a pet bed of it(no offence to animal lover's) It may disapear frome there house. I'll be happy to take it back. :)
Old 06-19-2010, 06:42 PM

I keep a photo journal of most all the quilts I do. A picture plus a short description of the quilt design and techniques and the date finished.