Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you keep a 'quilt log'? >

Do you keep a 'quilt log'?

Do you keep a 'quilt log'?

Old 07-31-2015, 02:04 PM

I currently have a scrapbook type portfolio of quilts. When I made quilts in the 70s for my friends who were having babies, I didn't have the common sense to photograph my work, so when I began again, now in my "mature"years, I decided to keep a sort of portfolio of my quilts. One reason is that I am so curious about my grandmothers quilts, and I have no records or knowledge of what was going on with them and their quilting, and I would so like to know about them (TOO LATE!!) So for myself, I started a 3 ring binder with family quilts in it. The first section is photos of older quilts from family, and then the main section is detail of my quiltmaking. I'm not too technical about it - but I try to make sure there is a record of the pertinent personal things - who got the quilt, what was the reason,- as well as technical details and fabric scraps if appropriate. Most all of my quilts go out the door as gifts, so I like to keep photos of the quilts and recipients to remember what I have accomplished. I'll toss in the thank you notes too, (
if they should arrive.) I stop to look at it once in a while, and I hope my daughter, son, or grandchildren will enjoy it someday when I'm done and gone!
Old 07-31-2015, 11:36 PM

I keep a journal with basic info plus "what I learned from making this quilt" and who will inherit each one. My kids think that part is funny, but I wanted them to each receive certain quilts!
Old 08-01-2015, 02:34 AM

I wish I had. Should start. I also like to add friends that have taught me how to do a technique such as appliqueing, Most of my quilt I gave away to family.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
I make a string block from scraps pf each quilt I make. Eventually I'll have enough blocks to make a memory quilt for me.
Yes, I keep a record (short) of date I started, date I finished, who for and a picture. I am 1/2 through a Shop Hop in Minnesota right now and keep the Minnesota squares we are given (5x5) and will cut them in half and sew them onto strips of my soon to make jelly roll memory quilt from different places I have been and who I was with. (I started it in 2013 and have lots of jelly rolls, charm packs and fat quarters that I am going to use when I start it probably this Winter) - Minnesota has a really pretty design this year. There are quilting journals that one can buy through Amazon. I have my mother's and now I have my own. Super memories! Have a beautiful day today. Edie
Old 08-01-2015, 06:26 AM

Only pictures of finished quilts and the name of where they were gifted. This is a recent thing for me.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:58 AM

I started a notebook with my very first quilt (off to a good start I thought in case I really like this quilting thing). That was 20+ years ago. Good job right? Well I have kept up with jotting down the name of the quilt, when started and finished, who it's for etc and if I got a label on it or not - which I always do if it's for someone else but not always for my own (bad girl). I managed to get pictures of all of them and did well when I could just take pictures and develop a roll of film but now I have digital pics in my camera, my phone, ipad and ipod and I have no idea how to get them printed. I'm so technologically challenged! Good intentions gone awry. I must say it does feel good to look at the log and see what I've done Lol. I always think maybe someday I'll figure it out, but just like in Gone With the Wind I'll think about that tomorrow and today continue sewing.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
No, I don't. I just have photos to remind me of the quilts I have made.
Me too, though I keep them in folders by the year so I can see how many or how little I accomplish, ha, ha. I take photos of the front, back if pieced, and the label. I rarely make the same pattern twice so don't really have the need for detailed info. I do write any changes I have made on the pattern, IF I decide to do a repeat.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:54 AM

Wish I would have been doing that the past 50 years! I started a "word" page journal 2 years ago but haven't kept it up.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

I have a list of the quilts, comforters, baby quilts and biscuit quilts. I just do a small description, colors and whom I gave them to.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:32 AM

I'm a self taught quilter and have decided to start taking classes, so even though I've been quilting for 10+ years, I'm learning so many new tricks to make quilting so much more enjoyable. Kids at home and then college tuitions prevented me from affording classes, so now that everyone has graduated it's my turn, yeah!!!! I'm definitely starting a journal, thanks for the suggestions, just hope I keep up with it! The suggestion to add what I've learned from making the quilt is definitely going to be part of it, thank you "quiltingshorttimer"

Last edited by aQuiltist; 08-18-2015 at 02:37 AM.