Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you leave your sewing machine on? >

Do you leave your sewing machine on?

Do you leave your sewing machine on?

Old 03-18-2015, 07:15 AM

I leave my machine on while I'm in my sewing room.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:19 AM

I leave my machine on the entire time I'm sewing during the day. Sometimes I go off doing something completely different and then come back. Think I left my embroidery machine on for 3 days as I'd forgotten to turn it off or thought I had and didn't. Didn't go into the machine room for 3 days when I notice the light on. Hate when that happens. Machine worked fine though so that's a relief.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:34 AM

I have wondered the same thing.. I don't want my light bulb to burn out on me either. I usually leave mine on while I am working. If I am going to be away for awhile I turn it off. If its the weekend and I am sewing on a project the machine stays on most of the day.. even while I work on laundry and cook.... because I am always running back in to stitch for a few minutes
Old 03-18-2015, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Anything longer than 15 minutes, and I turn mine off. Just a habit, I guess.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by bjgallent View Post
I leave the machine on to stop and press. If I can't get back to sewing within a reasonable time, then I turn it off.
This is what I do also.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

I leave mine on while I am pressing or cutting, etc. If I leave the room I shut it off. Though I always leave the surge protector on.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:57 AM

Just curious why the big deal about a light burning out? They are inexpensive and easy to replace on every machine I've ever had. I leave my machine on most of the day if I'm sewing. I always turn it off at night, when leaving the house, or if I know I've finished for the day. The only time a light burned out on one of my machines was on a 1962 Pfaff that had been in regular use for over 30 years. I think the bulb cost around $4.00.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ View Post
My machine is on while I'm sewing. I don't turn it off if I get up to iron or cut. I do turn my machine off and unplug it if I get up and leave the room to take the dog out, get a meal, or if I leave the house.
This is what I do, too.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:06 AM

With the age of computer machines... I leave mine on all day if I am in the process. If I turn my machine off, I have to remember to reset it to the custom stitch I was using. Kind of a pain. We have a whole house surge protector, so I don't worry about that sort of thing. I just figure the machine was made to be used/on.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
This is me, too.

My machine faces the wall so it's hard to see if it's still on, and I've accidentally left it on overnight before. So now I have it and my gooseneck lamp plugged into a power strip and left switched on, and I use the power strip switch to turn everything on and off. So if I'm across the room, I can tell if the sewing machine is on because the lamp is also on - much harder to forget!
i like your idea! i leave mine on for all of my sewing time and have never had to replace a bulb