Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you leave your sewing machine on? >

Do you leave your sewing machine on?

Do you leave your sewing machine on?

Old 03-18-2015, 08:16 AM

My sewing machine is older you can't leave it on, because I have had mine burn out and it takes me forever to replace it. The kids are bad about going around it and stepping on the foot. I wouldn't leave it on unless you are needing too.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

When I'm sewing I leave it on until I quit for the day. Actually turning a light off and on is what causes it to burn out faster.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:44 AM

I don't turn mine off either if I am only pressing or doing anything that doesn't take longer than a few minutes. Would drive me crazy to turn it on and off all the time. I've been using the same BROTHER machine for about 10 yrs and I haven't had to change the bulb yet!!
Old 03-18-2015, 08:59 AM

My #1 machine is my Bernina 440 QE. I leave it on while I am in the room, unless I know I won't be sewing while I'm in there. I had a 1971 Singer Fashionmate Model 237 for 30+ years and can't remember changing the bulb once; however I did have to change the bulb on one of my Singer FWs after I had it for a few years. I do have my Bernina plugged in a surge protector; however, my Singer serviceman told me years ago that it is better to unplug the machine completely. So I unplug the cord from the Bernina, rather than from the surge protector. I put a binder clip on the cord near the plug (the clip doesn't clamp the cord, it fits around it), then put a small caribiner through the "arms" of the clip (you could also use one of the metal shower curtain rings). When I unplug the cord, I hang the caribiner on a Command hook mounted on the edge of my sewing table so I never have to search around on the floor for the cord.

Also, remember that a power strip may not be a surge protector.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:13 AM

I have been sewing for decades and can only remember replacing one light bulb. I leave my machines on (the one I am sewing on) for hours if I am not done sewing for the day.

It is plugged into a surge protector (it is a Bernina Artista computer/embroidery machine). We can see my machine from the open archway in the kitchen so it never gets left on overnight.

On my FW I do turn the light off if I am leaving the machine for more than 10 minutes to let it cool off. It does heat up the shield that is over it and since it is metal it gets quite hot. In the scheme of things I believe the light bulb does not cost that much considering the convenience of not having to turn it off and on all of the time.

This is all just my humble practice and opinion. Happy sewing!

I should note here that I did buy one of those irons that turns itself off if left more than 10 minutes without ironing. Some consider that a nuisance but I consider it a safety issue and it doesn't take long to heat back up.

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 03-18-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:48 AM

My fancy pants machine goes into "sleep mode" if I don't touch it for 10 minutes - then just a touch and it's back on. If I leave it for an hour, I have to turn it back on. My other machines - leave them on until I'm done for the day - or at least a few hours. I have a 35 year old Bernina that had a light burn out. By that time, the little rubber item that you use to get hold of the bulb had rotted.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:49 AM

I leave mine on unless I am leaving the room. For some reason in my mind it is harder on a light bulb to be turned off and on than to be left on. But honestly I have no idea why I think that. It is funny how we get things in our minds that do not really have anything to do with reality.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the advice about the surge protector. I have my first electronic machine and didn't even think about it. My iron is right next to my machine and will turn itself off after a bit. I always turn my machine off if I leave my sewing room. The room is in the basement and I don't always get back to it right away. I may get distracted if I leave. I just won't take a chance. As for the light bulb...I have only had one blow out on me and that was on a really old Singer that someone gave me. If I remember right, it wasn't that expensive to replace.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:13 PM

My machine is plugged into a surge protector. I turn it on in the morning when I start sewing and off at the end of the day.

My iron doesn't turn off by itself. I leave it on if I'm pressing, piecing, sewing, pressing; repeat.

Otherwise I turn it off: if you've ever looked at your electricity meter, you can tell if your iron is on!
Old 03-18-2015, 05:29 PM

Default That's it

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
When I'm sewing I leave it on until I quit for the day. Actually turning a light off and on is what causes it to burn out faster.
You said what I intended to say in fewer words and easy to understand. Thank you. (the original poster.)