Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you leave your sewing machine on? >

Do you leave your sewing machine on?

Do you leave your sewing machine on?

Old 03-19-2015, 05:11 AM

I leave my sewing machine on when working in my sewing room. When I'm done, I turn it off and unplug it.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by RosaSharon View Post
While you iron or piece, do you leave your sewing machine on? I argue with myself everyday over this question because I don't want my light bulb to burn out because I leave it on so often. One lady told me she leaves her sewing machine on all day.

With my old New Home wonderful sewing machine, there was an off/on switch for the light and I left my machine on year round with light off until I needed it. With my new sewing machine there is no way to turn off the light without turning off the entire sewing machine.

The reason why this is a big deal for me is because turning the machine on and off throughout the day causes that burst of electricity that is pretty hard on the light, and maybe even the machine itself. Haven't you ever had a light bulb blow out as soon as you turned it on --- because of the extra burst of electricity.

And along with this question, how long can I expect my machine light to last?

TIA
I leave mine on only when I am in the room. I have everything plugged into surge protectors and turn those off when I leave the room. My Sweet 16 is never plugged in, even to a surge protector, unless I am using it. Last year we had power surges and lost our refrigerator and freezer. No way will I leave my sewing machines at risk to that. Light bulbs are cheap. I wouldn't worry much about losing one of those. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:20 AM
Suz

My machine has a sleep mode. When I am leaving it for a period, I put "Lucy" to sleep.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:48 AM

Default note to Belfrybat:

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
Just curious why the big deal about a light burning out? They are inexpensive and easy to replace on every machine I've ever had. I leave my machine on most of the day if I'm sewing. I always turn it off at night, when leaving the house, or if I know I've finished for the day. The only time a light burned out on one of my machines was on a 1962 Pfaff that had been in regular use for over 30 years. I think the bulb cost around $4.00.
It isn't the price of a light. I would have to take my sewing machine in to the store (I am pretty sure about this, but I could be wrong) because my light is encased and I don't know how to get it out. Maybe it is a forever light. Also, I sew in the middle of the night and don't want it to go out on me -- any time I am sewing. Too many things to think about for a new sewest like me!!!

Mainly, I do worry that it is the turning on and off of my sewing machine is the hardest on it.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:58 AM

Sometimes my machines will be on for days, my smaller computer one, I used to never turn it off. I've never had to replace a bulb. I do keep all of them plugged into a serge protector though, just in case.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:18 AM

I leave mine on while I piece, cut, press; but if I'm going to have to leave for more than an hour before proceeding I turn the machine off. My present machine is six years old and has never needed a new light bulb.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
If I am in the room, my iron and sewing machine are left on. But if I leave the room, both are shut off. I also have both plugged into electrical surge protectors to prevent damage from electrical surges since we have a lot of severe lightening and thunderstorms in Oklahoma.
-
I am pretty much the same - depends on what I am doing. If I am cutting and pressing, I leave it on - - if I have just come up with a stitch adjustment configuration, I will leave it on (while I am working in the same room) - - but if I have a long project space where I will not need it for awhile, or leave the room, everything gets turned off in case I get "busy" at something else that I didn't necessarily plan on, the dog needs a walk right now(!), hubby wants something, etc. My stuff is on surge protectors as well, and for the iron I just flip that off - beats standing on my head to unplug it from the wall. :-)

Marysewfun
Old 03-19-2015, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by VaQuiltgal View Post
I've always left my machine on while ironing, cutting, etc. Never had a bulb burn out in all my years of sewing. When I leave the room I turn machine off and unplug from power strip so there's no chance of power surges hurting my machine.
Me too. I don't think I have ever replaced a bulb on any of my machines and I have been sewing for 50 yrs.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:39 AM

While I am sewing I leave my light on all the time and only replaced my light bulb for the first time 2 weeks ago. not bad since I bought my Elna back in 1973. I had to get the instruction book because I did not know how to remove it. The new bulb only cost me $3.95 so it is cheap to leave on.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:40 AM

I, too, worry about the light burning out on my new Brother 450Q. And I can't turn it off -- I think -- without turning off the machine, which means losing my settings. So I leave it on when actively sewing, as in when I sew, then press, then sew. Otherwise, I turn it off.

My Golden Touch 'n Sew no longer has an active light in that we had to replace the light holder and it just does not work, for whatever reason. I use an Ott light which stands on the machine cabinet when sewing on that machine. But I also worry about burning out the Ott bulb, so turn it off when not actively sewing. I'm a lights off kind of person, though; I turn off lights when I leave a room (except the kitchen, for some reason; I'm always going back in there, maybe!).

Interesting topic. I've enjoyed others' points of view on the sewing machine on/off and the light issue.

Last edited by Friday1961; 03-19-2015 at 08:49 AM.