Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you like the fabric pricing trend? >
  • Do you like the fabric pricing trend?

• Do you like the fabric pricing trend?

Old 01-25-2011, 08:31 PM
    Banned

Hancocks of Paducah is the worst!
    I will not shop where they can't list the price of a yard!

as for the food...OY...even toilet paper!

and we are the blessed ones who have had both of our incomes put on freeze for the next two years..again....and I am unemployed since Aug....utilities are up so high I am ready to cancel the TV and phone...I sit and freeze all day so we can have heat at night...driving me crazy!
    Old 01-25-2011, 08:41 PM

No! I don't like it either, it can be rather deceptive.
    Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 PM
    Banned

it's a con, but sadly most people do not check weights etc. so few complain.
    Old 01-25-2011, 11:43 PM

It is part of the deceptive pricing that stores are engaging in. They are bargaining that we are too stupid to notice. Look at a "quart" of ice cream. The price is the same as it used to be but you are purchasing much less quantity than you used to. Which in the case of ice cream is not a bad thing but in the case of fabric is rotten. When my now twenty something children were babies I could make them a pair of pants for less than a dollar if I bought a remnant of fabric.
    Old 01-26-2011, 06:29 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Anna.425
    It is part of the deceptive pricing that stores are engaging in. They are bargaining that we are too stupid to notice. Look at a "quart" of ice cream. The price is the same as it used to be but you are purchasing much less quantity than you used to. Which in the case of ice cream is not a bad thing but in the case of fabric is rotten. When my now twenty something children were babies I could make them a pair of pants for less than a dollar if I bought a remnant of fabric.
    remnants, remember those??? where do you find them now? have you ever seen them at the LQS? even at hobby lobby now, they throw it in a drawer and when the drawer is full they throw it out!
    Old 01-26-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by makakehau
    No! I don't like it either, it can be rather deceptive.
    I agree, now I have to look closer at the yardage and not just the price. I don't mind if they just said what a whole yard would cost. Cleaning out my sewing room I came across a 2002 Connecting Threads catalog and the prices back then were $8.90 so it's only gone up .10 a yard roughly per year. I can live with that.
    Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by QKO
    No one is trying to hide the true price per yard from you. As I explained in my post above, online shops price goods by the half-yard mostly as a function of the way their shopping carts work. There is no devious reason.

Prices are going up, way up, and shop owners are forced to raise the prices or go out of business, it's as simple as that.

As far as the email you got from your shop owner, the entire thing is true. I might add that when stocks of old overstock fabrics run out, you'll no longer be seeing the big sales you do today all over the place. The fabric industry is undergoing a big shakeout, and in the end, quilting fabric is going to cost a lot more than it does today. We just got a price increase of 50 cents a yard on most fabrics after getting a big one just a couple months ago. The manufacturers/distributors are raising their prices on their current stocks as well, so you will see prices raise on replacement stocks of the same yardage as shop owners are forced to pay more to replace fast-selling and standard items like blenders, etc.
    If you go thru this topic you'll see how many people have not read your explanation. They're also the same people that don't read Jo-Ann's coupons, ebay descriptions, and numerous other things. The biggest problem is people don't read.

It makes perfect sense for an online shop to price in their smallest sale unit since the software is going to work much easier that way.
    Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 AM

remenber the nickel hersey candy bar it was big now small for 50 cents
    Old 01-26-2011, 07:57 AM
    QKO

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Originally Posted by QKO
    No one is trying to hide the true price per yard from you. As I explained in my post above, online shops price goods by the half-yard mostly as a function of the way their shopping carts work. There is no devious reason.
    If you go thru this topic you'll see how many people have not read your explanation. They're also the same people that don't read Jo-Ann's coupons, ebay descriptions, and numerous other things. The biggest problem is people don't read.

It makes perfect sense for an online shop to price in their smallest sale unit since the software is going to work much easier that way.
    Thanks! I think a lot of people just read the first post in a thread and hit reply, not reading the rest of it, so they miss a lot, including any explanations of what's really happening.

It's beyond me why anyone would think that any online shop owner, especially small to medium sized ones, would purposely engage in deceptive sales practices. There is no deception, and there is no benefit in engaging in anything deceptive. It's just a function of how online sales carts work!

Anyway, I don't know if many people will read this, but for those of you that do, here's a question, given that because of cart limitations we can still only price and sell in units:

Would it help if we listed the full-yard price someplace on the product description, or would that just make it more confusing?
    Old 01-26-2011, 09:37 PM

Even the carton non concentrated orange juice I buy, as same size carton, but fewer ounces.