Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you own a Serger? >

Do you own a Serger?

Do you own a Serger?

Old 07-12-2012, 11:15 AM

I like mine for finished seams in garments. I do not have a cover stitch on mine which I would like, but they are too expensive to buy a new one.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:45 PM

Its too bad that there is not more utube video on how to use a serger. you would think the companies that make the serger would get on the band wagon and teach people how to use it so more folks would use and buy them. I have an elna and its still in the box.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:00 PM

My serger was bought in '87 and has served me very well. I've used it for garments and home dec. The only time I've used it for quilting is when I make the Kaye Woods six-hour quilts. It's great for that. Unfortunately my serger is now out of commission and needs to be seen by a serviceman. I think all it needs is a good cleaning and fine tuning and it'll be fine. I'd love one of those new ones that practically thread themselves, but I don't think I use it enough anymore to spend that kind of money. I'll just have the old one serviced and be happy with that.

To you who say that yours is still in the box or unused....mine stayed in the box for a year until I could brave using it for the very first time. And what did it for me was I took a class at the shop where I had purchased it. It was very basic class that taught us basic skills and then some tricks for embellishments.

Last edited by GailG; 07-12-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:17 PM

I have a Singer which I've had for close on 30 years. With 3 daughters to clothe as well as myself it was used a lot. Then I went back to paid work and it only got used infrequently. Then along came grandchildren and the Singer was getting a lot of use again. I now use it when sewing clothing for abused &/or neglected children and just recently made some new trousers for myself. The old singer still works fine but think I'll put it in for a service as I'm having a small tension problem. Just needs tweaking. It has been a real work horse.
I don't use it for quilting.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Have one used it abt 6 times...been in the closet gathering dust for 2 yrs now...waste of space and money
Old 07-12-2012, 03:26 PM

I have an industrial serger that I bought years ago. Paid 300 for it and had to buy a motor for 50. I got a good deal since I made a lot of clothes back then. I hardly ever use it anymore.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:53 PM

Have a serger & would like a second. One for white thread & the other for black. I am lost when mine has to be in the shop. Have used it for a small quilt in blocks, but use for clothing etc.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

I inherited a Kenmore Serger from my mother who passed away March of this year. I will always have it to cherish, but sure have to learn about it, and wish I had someone right here to thread it. I have read the manual, and I have a wonderful book a friend sent me, but I guess I feel a bit intimidated, and my lupus brain doesn't help at all. lol....
Old 07-12-2012, 04:51 PM

I have just taken my mum's serger (Bernina Funlock 004-D) out of the garage where she put it about 2 1/2 - 3 years ago. I had to down load instructions on the internet, but then after "studying" the threading a couple of times, I was able to get it threaded and have been sewing underpants and leggings for my granddaughter (2 y/o today), to go with some of the dress I got that didn't have matching undies .
I believe I'm going to use it to quilt the rest of my two quilts that will go under the Christmas tree for my daughters.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kay in Iowa View Post
I've had a serger for 20 years - use it for garment sewing but mostly for making drapes, curtains and nightgowns. Have never used it much for quilting unless I was tying quilts - in a hurry, it works great for edging rather than binding, if you are using them for utility purposes. Also, have used my serger for making blankets for show animals. They do have a purpose, but not for pieced or aplique quilting - just my opinion.
I know Nancy Zieman has something on one of her videos about using a serger for quilting but I have used it on clothing as others have, napkins, tablecloths and my daughter's pillow covers as she chooses the fabric that ravels. I used it much more when I was sewing for my children and I do bring it out once in awhile but not often.