Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you own a Serger? >

Do you own a Serger?

Do you own a Serger?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
Gee...now that some of you are saying they are hard to thread....I don't think I've ever seen the lady on HSN selling them actually thread it on air!! She just casually suggest you follow the color coded lines and it is "easy" to do. Makes me wonder now.
Please don't buy one from HSN. I did a number of years ago, and it was terrible. I finally got rid of it, and now have a Brother Serger that I got a year or so ago, and love it for clothes. The HSN one was a bear to thread, but the Brother threads easily, and I do love it now.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:52 AM

I have had a variety of Singer sergers over the years (always upgrading) & now own a Babylock & it is fabulous. Don't use it much for quilting but have used it for finishing the edges of the quilt before binding. There is not 2 weeks that go by that I don't use it for something. Finishing placemats, napkins (Babylock has a wonderful wavy edge), altering clothes that I need to take in etc. I cannot imagine sewing without having a serger - it makes such a professional finish on things. Some are much more complicated than others but once you learn it & the Babylock that I have threads the loopers itself so it is amazing (much more expensive though). I have had a Singer (top of the line) that was an absolute nightmare to thread & I had lots of experience with one so I can't imagine a beginner having success with it. Hope this helps. I am a true supporter of having a serger BUT not if you are not going to use it.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:00 AM

I have one but don't use it for quilting. I recommend going and trying them out before buying just as you did when you bought your sewing machine. No point in buying a lot of bells and whistles you won't use. It's really handy for rolled hem edges on napkins. Also I have friends who serge the edges of their quilts before putting on the binding. They say it helps keep everything even.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:08 AM

I have an Evolve Wave, 8 thread (only if you want 8 threads) It does serging, cover stitch and all kinds of other features.
The most important feature is the Air threading.....this was the reason I got frustrated years ago with the "other sergers". Babylock is the only company that has the automatic air threading. Just push a button and the air puts the thread into the levers for serging. A breeze! All dealers have free instruction. There are so many books, dvd's and internet instruction as well....if you need it. The Quick reference guide that comes with these machines tells you all of the settings and then you just serge.
I use mine to sew the edge of my quilts before binding.
Diana in TX
Old 07-12-2012, 07:12 AM

I own two Husky lock - 534's by White. the first One I bought in 1989 after listening to my mom wanting to do a demo workshop, so I signed us up and we both went home with one. Course this was after I just made 5 brides maid dresses and 2 flower girl dresses for a wedding. Loads of ruffles, kinda a southern belle style. I remember wishing I would of had it before I had to do those dresses. I've made loads and loads of clothes with mine. Had it service regularly. I can do a western shirt inless than 4 hours with mine from cutting to putting snaps on.

About 2 years ago, my daughter wanted one like the one I had while she was growing up, went on ebay, found her one and decided to get me a backup. I have not regretted it one bit.

I did a Biscuit quilt about 10years ago, I used my first serger to finish the square edges when the stuffing was completed. I am working on a t-shirt quilt know, and wonder how sergeing the edges would be, then long arm quilting would work. Still thinking on that one...............

I do know that I am not impressed with the newer ones, most are all plastic, mine is a heavy duty metal version.

If you do clothing or home deco sewing they are real handy, I would suggest getting one, but for quilting, I've not used mine only the one time.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:36 AM

I agree with Quiltngolfer....I have used mine to make several quilts. I had one for several years before I used it though. I took some classes and now I love it. It is easy to do QAYG quilts. It just takes some getting used to. If you are going to get one, I suggest you take some classes to get comfortable with it and learn its functions so you will use it.

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
I have had one for years. They are great for sewing garments since they make beautifully finished seams. I have the Baby Lock Evolution which does a multitude of other jobs as well. You can piece with it, but the serger adds a lot of extra thread to the project. I like to serge around the outer edge of a quilt before binding. It makes the binding go easier for me. I really like using the wave stitch as a finish around fleece blankets. With two colors it makes a beautiful finish. The serger does a nice simple quilt as you go quilt if you just do the large rectangles and not a lot of small pieces. The serger is great for putting in piping and zippers. It makes those jobs a breeze. It is also nice for doing joinigs in heirloom sewing projects. I hope these ideas are helpful to you.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
Gee...now that some of you are saying they are hard to thread....I don't think I've ever seen the lady on HSN selling them actually thread it on air!! She just casually suggest you follow the color coded lines and it is "easy" to do. Makes me wonder now.
I bought a Euro Pro off HSN, and they are NOT easy to thread. I had it 5 or 6 years and never used it because of that.
Yes, it is color coded, but that doesn't make it easy to get the thread into certain places. My Brother is VERY easy to thread.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Swap Hosts

I have an older one that I picked up at an estate sale and use it all the time. I use it to make scarves with rolled edges, napkins, tea towels, tablecloths and so much more. I'm a veil maker by profession and it also comes in handy for finishing edges on lace. On my wish list is a modern one that threads itself since just looking at the manual nearly gave me a nervous breakdown ... so ... if the thread needs changing I call on my mechanically inclined son or my husband.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:41 AM

I have a Janome serger. I bought it totally because it was on sale, and at the time, it seemed like a good idea. I didn't use it for about 10 years. Then I took it out of the closet and thought that was silly--I need to know what to do with it. So I took a private lesson. Learned that a serger can do about 6 things. None of them apply to quilts.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:43 AM

Oh, my goodness! I can't believe there are so many people on here that don't use sergers. I have had one for many years and they are wonderful. I can piece with them, finish edges with them, and they are irreplaceable for garment sewing. My friend who taught me about quilting, in 1988, told me; " I can't explain to you what all they do, but once you use one, you will never want to let it go." She was right. Be more open-minded, ladies and gentlemen.
Judy