Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you refuse to buy fabric from shops in your own state? >

Do you refuse to buy fabric from shops in your own state?

Do you refuse to buy fabric from shops in your own state?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by humbird
Originally Posted by auntmag
Montana has no sales tax and if a MT resident buys something in Idaho or Washington and show a MT drivers license they are not charged sales tax.
Originally Posted by QBeth
Massachusetts (sales tax) tried to enforce taxation of items purchased in New Hampshire (no sales tax) by Mass consumers. Mass lost. Pardon me but Ha! Ha!
This is interesting. I am in WY, and we used to have our own business. One time, a MT customer refused to pay the sales tax. I contacted our accountent, and he said they cannot refuse the pay WY tax. If they shop in WY they need to pay up! I do shop in MT from time to time, but only because we are there for Dr. appts. etc. and the variety is so much larger than in my small town. And of course, I do like saving the tax.
I think sales tax is based on where you receive the merchandise. California wants us to pay Use Tax to the state when we purchase online out of state and they don't collect California's taxes. So, I usually pay sales tax either way.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:30 AM

Same here, don't have a sales tax in Mt. I have noticed when I order something from out of state I am never chargerd a sales tax. It is nice that out of staters can come here to buy and not have a sales tax to pay. Sometimes I see more Wy. cars at Costco than Mt cars and you are all welcome to come and shop here.

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
we don't pay sales taxes at all.....heh heh heh. (just enourmous property taxes!)
Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 AM

I definitely shop local FIRST. Many reasons to it but if I don't buy then I cannot go and shop :lol: I prefer to buy in person than on internet, unless it's a kit. I have purchased those or block of the months online.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:48 AM

Sales tax cannot be collected from an out-of-state-retailer if there is not a location in your state.
So for instance; if you're buying from JoAnn's online, and you DO have a JoAnn's in your state (and your state also collects sales tax), you WILL be charged tax. If you are buying online and your state does not have a JoAnn's, you will NOT be charged sales tax... even if your state collects it.
That is why most of us do not pay tax on our online, out-of-state purchases.
If you physically make a purchase in a state that does collect tax, even if your home state does not; you still have to pay the tax (the retailer could of course, allow you NOT to pay, but that's on their heads; not yours). If you had it shipped to your home instead(not across international borders), you would not pay tax... depending on the first paragraph above of course.
The same applies if you make a purchase in a county or zip code in your state, for instance, that has a higher or lower sales tax; if you physically buy it at the higher tax zip code; you'll pay the higher tax. If you have it sent to the lower tax zip code; you'd pay THAT zip code's tax %. ...But you'd also most likely pay shipping.

Is that all about as clear as mud?!

But on to the original question, as far as refusing to buy in-state? Absolutely not. I'll buy if the customer service is good, prices are fair, and shipping is not outrageous!

BUUUT I have yet to find a good online retailer in MN that I wouldn't be able to go to in person, either, so it's kind of a moot point for me... Just wanted to help clarify the tax/no tax thing.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Just wondering if any of you make it a point to refuse to buy fabrics from online shops that are in your own state... so that you don't have to pay sales tax?
When I shop online for fabric I try to buy from fabric.com which is in my state. I don't mind paying taxes on my purchases there because their prices are much lower than most out-of-state online retailers. In general I look at the bottom line for the total amount I am spending when comparing prices. I also like the convenience of buying from a local online retailer because I usually get my shipment within one or two days. And if I am really in a rush they will even allow local online customers to come down to their warehouse and pick up the order.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Or you could move to New Hampshire, pay no state income tax, no state sales tax, and shop at Keepsake Quilting anytime your little heart desired!

:-D
Yeah, too bad many of us don't like frigid temps and snow. :thumbup:
Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 AM

I don't have many options at all near me, other than Joann's, but I would definitely support a local shop regardless of sales tax. I guess it's nice not to have to pay it when paying shipping, but it's not a consideration for me.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Lyn

Originally Posted by Candace
Or you could move to New Hampshire, pay no state income tax, no state sales tax, and shop at Keepsake Quilting anytime your little heart desired!

Pfffft :P
Old 09-14-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Candace

As we see it, cold temps and snow are just perfect reasons to make more quilts! :lol:
Old 09-14-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Just wondering if any of you make it a point to refuse to buy fabrics from online shops that are in your own state... so that you don't have to pay sales tax?
I live in Oregon and I never have to pay sales tax.