Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use pincushions? >

Do you use pincushions?

Do you use pincushions?

Old 05-31-2012, 04:01 AM

I have about 3 or 4 pincushions in various areas of my sewing room. I love the home made kind, they are so soft and easy to use. I have the magnetic one but have to keep it away from my Bernina, so I use the big soft one I got at a resell shop for $1.00 with a package of long special pins. That was a good buy for sure.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:50 AM

I have one that my best quilting friend gave me. It is like a big mushroom and has about 8 sections so I can keep different pins in each section and they aren't all jumbled together. Love it! I have a magnetic one on by cutting table.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:51 AM

No, sorry, but I don't use a pincushion. Oh, I have a few, mostly given to me by friends, but none of them has pins in it.

I keep my pins in a 4x3x1 oval candy tin that a friend brought me from England. On the lid is a picture of a cat dressed like Henry VIII. Because of its size, I keep my seam ripper, a couple of extra bobbins, & my tiny screwdriver in there too. I can nest the tin inside the lid for everyday use, and then just pop the lid on top and it goes into a basket with my other tools and notions when I'm heading out to a retreat or class.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
Ditto. But when I say "pincushion", I mean the old-fashioned kind. I don't care for the magnetic kind or Pin Keepers or whatever they're called. I like the kind that you stick your pins in, like the old tomato kinds. My favorite one right now is a Dresden Plate I got from Fons & Porter. I've been eying some cuties on Etsy & think I may drop some hints for them as gifts...
I agree. My favorites are the old "stick the pin in the cushion" kind. I have different ones for different size pins. But I need to try making some. I see lots of patterns that I like but for some reason it looks too difficult. Now isn't that silly.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:19 AM

I love my magnetic pincushions. I toss the pin in the direction and it ends up where it should. I have a couple of them scattered about at my machine, at my working table, etc.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:21 AM

I use pin cushions all the time. I hate reaching into a plastic box and getting stuck by several sharp pins! I considered the magnetic bowl kind but with today's electronic sewing machines (or sewing computers as they like to call them) placing a magnet next to the machine is probably not the best plan!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I have two pin cushions that are quite old -- one that I made with my hair, mom's hair and grandma's hair when I was a kid (it has counted cross stitch decoration) ....
i have wondered if hair stuffed pincushions attract mites at some point in their lifetime. i know that back in the earlier days pincushions were made with human hair quite often.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:26 AM

I have quite a few pincushions too. I have one magnetic one but I don't use it much. I really like the regular pincushion style. The one that I don't care for is the tomato pincushion unless they're handmade.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:21 AM

IN MY SEWING ROOM:
- I have one pin cushion affixed to my sewing machine (velcro tie in the back) - it's on the body of the machine, below all the buttons. It's basically a pillow shape, but I backed it with some flexible plastic (a piece of one of those very flexible, very soft plastic cutting boards) so the incoming needles wouldn't damage the casing of the machine. I use this one to put the pins I remove as I sew those tricker spots.
- I have another pin cushion made by a Secret Sister in jewel-toned sumptuous wool. One quarter of one side holds fork pins, another quarter holds a replacement machine needle, another quarter holds hand needles, and the other quarter is empty.
- I have a pin box - a round 4" diameter box (and cover) covered in turquoise Asian brocade with a dozen Chinese men all around the base - that houses all my non-working pins.
- I also use the square end of the ironing board as a pin cushion.

IN THE BEDROOM I use a wrist pin cushion for any handwork I am doing - binding, yoyos, applique.

FOR CLASS I will be making a special pin cushion to use/pack for classes. I'll use a Cupcake-2-Go container (http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHUQ8wIwAg) to house the cupcake pin cushion I'll make. I plan to top the cupcake with bugle beads and seed beads to look like sprinkles, and the hard cover will keep pins and needles from jabbing into people and things during transport.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:33 AM

Here are my two favorites. I made the hanging one with the tiny trash bag from a kit. The Shaker style I bought at Sunapee Craft Festival in NH. It cost about $20, and I'm pretty frugal, but I just loved it, and DH encouraged me to get it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]339056[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pincushions.jpg