Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use pincushions? >

Do you use pincushions?

Do you use pincushions?

Old 05-31-2012, 10:03 AM

For the past year I have been admiring the pincushions everyone makes. I print the directions and have them stacked up. So far haven't made one. Just need to take a morning and get started. I did buy one at Jinny Beyer's Studio- and need to find it in the sewing room!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:11 AM

I LOVE pincushions! I make them, collect them,display them and use them! I found one in a drawer in my beloved Gram's 1924 Treadle that I am blessed to have. I found 3 in my d mil's hope chest after she passed that no one else wanted. I have had a few people give me some really cute ones, and then I have made several. I always use a pincushion, I even made myself a wrist pincushion and use it all the time. I have at least 1 beside each of my machines, and a couple on my cutting table and ironing board. LOVE THEM! giggle
Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have two magnetic bowls and a pin cushion that my daughter made me when she was in grade school. I will never use that. It's for show only. I would love to make a few pin cushions, but am hesitant. I need to go and check out some sites and get the right materials and try making a couple of them. I think it would be fun. I threw away my old pin cushions years ago when I bought my magentic bowls. Shame on me.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:06 AM

I use a magnetic tray. The polarity of the tray keeps the pins lined up. I usually arrange them all going one direction to make them easy to pick up.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:51 PM

I don't like pin cushions. I have several now but I rarely use them. They never seemed safe to me to have around my children. I like my pins in a tin just like my mom and my Mammaw.

I keep those I use for my quilting machine in a magnetic screw dish my husband got at work. Like someone else said, they are all lined up. When I am done with those they are put up with the machine. No chance of little hands ever bothering them.

Since people keep giving them to me I have decided to put them out as decoration with OUT any pins.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
I don't like pin cushions. I have several now but I rarely use them. They never seemed safe to me to have around my children. I like my pins in a tin just like my mom and my Mammaw....
my 3 children never bothered my pins or my sewing things and i had a sewing business while they were growing up. i always had several sewing machines set up and lots of fabrics, pins, scissors, rotary cutters, the whole gambit sitting out in the open. i custom made children's clothing and made a lot of clothing for my daughter. my children were used to people coming over for fittings and knew not to mess with anything.

but the cats, well that was another story.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:48 AM

I use the magneticone and do use one pin cushion. I have one shelf devoted to pincushins that people have made and love to display them in my studio and do mke them ND THEY ARE FUN.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:07 AM

I always use a pin cushion. Much easier for me to get to then digging into a jar.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:35 AM

I love pin cushions. The ideal thing for your long arm is the magnetic bowl that car mechanics use. I have two of them. I got them at WalMart in the autimotive section for $6.00 ea. They are very strong will hold tight to the bars or table of your long arm even through the canvas. The dealer I bought my longarm told me about them and they are great. I also love the decorative pin cushions. I have one that looks like a big stuffed chair and the seat actually raises to put thing in it then I have a fuzzy high heal stellot that is just for looks and the smaller magnetic ones. One is on my cutting table, the other on my sewing table.
Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I have 2 pin cushions but wish I had a 3rd for my LA room, the kind with an elastic band you can stick on your wrist like tailors use. I hate using the little plastic box. To me it is so much easier to grab one pin at a time from a cushion.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:59 AM

I love pin cushions, but use the magnetic one when I sew. I tend to toss the pins toward the pin cushion while sewing, so the magnetic one was a great invention for me.