Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else make Barn Quilts >

Does anyone else make Barn Quilts

Does anyone else make Barn Quilts

Old 12-25-2010, 01:09 PM

Where I live there are alot of barn quilts everywhere. One of my quilting buddies grand-daughter makes them and sales them. :) :) :)
Old 12-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

hmmm, i should paint one on my garage door! we dont' have a neighborhood association here, he, he.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by leonajo
I was wondering if anyone else make Barn Quilts out of plywood and hang on their Barns or Sheds? I have made them for several years. I hang mine on an old milk barn we converted into a garden/canning shed . I have an OhioStar up right now. I will see if I can get my daughter to take a pic so can post. The simple patterns work the best for me. If the pattern is to complicted it looks blurry from the road when u drive by.
go to Eleanor Burns web site. she has a book on Barn Quilts.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by theifner
Where I live there are alot of barn quilts everywhere. One of my quilting buddies grand-daughter makes them and sales them. :) :) :)
What part of TN? I may have pics of some of her quilt barn squares. We've traveled the TN trail.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:16 PM

hmm if the garage door is just the right kind you might do blocks on it will have to check my daughters out thenks for the idea
Old 12-25-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by leonajo
I was wondering if anyone else make Barn Quilts out of plywood and hang on their Barns or Sheds? I have made them for several years. I hang mine on an old milk barn we converted into a garden/canning shed . I have an OhioStar up right now. I will see if I can get my daughter to take a pic so can post. The simple patterns work the best for me. If the pattern is to complicted it looks blurry from the road when u drive by.
Here is a link to a previous post on this topic. My DH and I made some and put on our back privacy fence. In this post I described how we did it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-49162-1.htm
Old 12-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

Since learning about Barn Quilts (once again this fabulous site) I have been thinking I would like to do one or two for our place. These are unheard of in Australia (to my knowledge), maybe we Aussie and Kiwi quilter's could start a trend.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:01 PM

My MIL and FIL painted a green and white Ohio Star on their barn doors. The barn is gray. It looks wonderful! Try it and be daring! Just pick a simple pattern and like it was said, you can always paint over it.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:29 PM

We make barn blocks for our own barns & sheds, and do them to sell to others who are interested in having them too.

The first picture is of a 4 x 4 foot block called Broken Wheel, and into the centre of the star, we inserted a welcome sign we got at a store in Lancaster. The name is appropriate for our organic beef farm because it seems like we are always repairing some piece of equipment.

The second picture is Shining Star and it's 8 x 8 feet. It's mounted on our barn on the road side and it's big enough to be seen clearly from the road. We have 2 others painted right on the sliding doors at the back of the barn, but we don't have pictures taken of them yet.

We enjoy the colours and the interest the blocks bring to friends and customers who come over.

Janie
Attached Thumbnails attachment-147815.jpe   attachment-147816.jpe  
Old 12-25-2010, 09:22 PM

That is really a great idea! I would like to make one someday.