Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else make Barn Quilts >

Does anyone else make Barn Quilts

Does anyone else make Barn Quilts

Old 12-26-2010, 01:50 PM

Took an RV trip across Kansas, Iowa, WI, Missouri this summer. We went all the back roads and I was able to enjoy lots of BARN quilts. They were such fun to try and spot, even my DH enjoyed it.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:43 PM

I am going to make one this spring to put on our garage. There is a huge empty space above our garage doors that is just calling for one of these. I am a longarm quilter and I thought it might be a good way to direct customers to my house.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IndyQuilter
I am going to make one this spring to put on our garage. There is a huge empty space above our garage doors that is just calling for one of these. I am a longarm quilter and I thought it might be a good way to direct customers to my house.
What a great idea - My husband is a carpenter, and has all the tools to cut me some plywood. Now to pick my favorite block...!
Old 12-27-2010, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rann
Wouldn't a quilt front door be neat?
I was thinking of that but now the association whose house I live in are putting plastic doors in place of the wooden ones.. I think I will make one lots smaller than yours of course, and hang it on the wall beside the door. It is such a great idea
Old 12-27-2010, 03:00 AM
Power Poster

Our LQS just got an addition, and they added two new ones!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:10 PM

Thank you for sharing how to make them!
I would think, if all you were doing was the side of a garage or something, you could even manage a simple block on a 2' x 2' piece of plywood, especially since you are working with solid colors ... good point about texturing the colors being just a lot of work.
We have a foundation down below the house and shop that I have been wanting to do that on for every since we got here, but it never occured to me to make it in the winter <g> (I am soooo slow! LOL) ... and when the weather gets nice, like you, I have other things to do ... what a great thread! <wave>
Old 12-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by loopywren
Originally Posted by Rann
Wouldn't a quilt front door be neat?
I was thinking of that but now the association whose house I live in are putting plastic doors in place of the wooden ones.. I think I will make one lots smaller than yours of course, and hang it on the wall beside the door. It is such a great idea
They have done some wonderful formulations for painting on plastic! (or, am I just causing trouble - -those "neighborhood associations" can get sooo uptight!) <wave>
Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 AM

I would like to do this over my garage. I am saving the instructions. would love to see the picture. sounds like a nice project for the spring :thumbup: thanks.. this says shirley for sure.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by alageeps
I would like to do this over my garage. I am saving the instructions. would love to see the picture. sounds like a nice project for the spring :thumbup: thanks.. this says shirley for sure.
I found pictures on this thread by going through each page of comments. Sometimes, we respond with our first impression, which is really good! But, we don't spend time reading each page. I don't remember how I found the pictures, but from now on, when the original poster starts teaching us anything, I will be reading all pages. She apparently is very interested in teaching us and makes sure to respond to each and every question. That is really special! <wave>
Old 12-29-2010, 07:55 AM

Greetings,
Hubby has designed barn to be built sometime in 2011 and part of the design outside is my space to hang hugh quilt block. Is there any special paints you use sew does not weather? Will be top of hill that gets lot o winds.