Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does it ever bother you?

I sometimes use BOM pattern sets, but use my own fabrics. Also, I usually adapt sized to me preference even if it means rearranging the blocks. This won was supposed to be much bigger than the one I adapted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    My LQS does a buck-a-month BOM. You get to see the finished quilt before deciding to do it or not. The owner does a beautiful job of picking fabric. All you have to buy extra is the finishing kit...if you want to use her colors. The first one I did, I was knocked out with colors in it and I also learned new techniques with each one. Now, I'm on my 3rd one and very happy with her choices. And no, it doesn't bother me that others have one like it, as they don't have them at my house and I keep my BOM for my own use.

It's whatever turns you on with quilting. There are no real rules. It's your quilt! Enjoy the process whatever or wherever it takes you.

Yeah, the aspect of not having a really unique quilt does bother me. I saw a beautiful BOM at a quilt store in a nearby city, but thought, "Now all these ladies are going to have the same quilt." I guess chances are slim that anyone is ever going to really NOTICE (how many people are going to come to your house, and the houses of several other quilters in the area, and see that you have the same quilt), but on some level, I want EVERY quilt I make to be unique to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchet
    Honestly, I'm self taught and I find it very hard and irritating to follow a pattern. Seems like every time I try I end up with my 12" block measuring up at 8"s. I just got done with one that was a pattern and I had to remake my sample block 3 times and change all the sizes of the pieces to get it to a 12" block! Don't they add the 1/4 inch seam allowance to the piece measurements? It's frustrating.
    I've been doing a BOM with a friend. She had very similar problems to yours. She didn't pay close attention to the cutting of the fabric, or the seams. My first quilt, I thought the first line on my sewing machine was close enough to 1/4". My blocks were smaller than the pattern. I've learned by trial and error, how much 1/16" can make a difference in the size of my block. I had a teacher say that is what sashings are for, to compensate for a mis-sized block. I have done at least 30 BOMs and finished two quilts because it is so scary to pick out my own fabric. I would say get into a BOM, I learned more there and at my own speed. My friend is learning more everytime also about accurate quilting. Erased some of your words to finish mine. Good luck. I love to watch friends learn to quilt.

Blog Entries
    I've done it and its beautiful! And so have a couple of others on the board. The fabrics come with it, or did when I got it several years ago.

I've done others, like my avatar, and am still getting compliments! It was a good way to learn to quilt. If you like it, do it!

I like blocks of the month, but not the kits. I would much rather chose my own fabrics, colors etc. I have never bought a kit, and don't think that I ever would

You can always add your on flare to it, like sashing, extra blocks, borders, the way it's quilted,... This is the 2nd year I've gone and I take my mother with me, we meet new people, have show and tell, door prizes,... and can't wait to see how everyone's turns out. Although the blocks are basically the same, they all seem to have their own uniqueness to them. We are always learning new things and new tools. Love it.

I went on a quilt shop hop one time where you recieved one block at each store (9) and you could buy an additional block. Each store had the blocks done and each finished into a quilt. Not one quilt looked the same because they all designed the finished quilt different. I took pictures of each quilt as I went store to store. It was amazing that they used the same blocks, but set them different ways.

I've done one and got so bored with waiting for one block, then another, that it took me forever to finally get it all finished.

I have never done one from a kit.Only the internet freebies!

Blog Entries
    I have done a couple of BOMs in the past with a friend and my daughters. We all ended up with the exact same blocks and then it was up to us to get our own fabric for the settings. It is amazing how different they all turn out. some on point, sashing between, triple sashing between, lone star in center. List goes on.

I've only bought in to one block of the month project - bought all 12 months, started the first block but the rest are sitting on a shelf to be done someday. They are applique and just seem to take so much time since there are so many little pieces. I think it made me realize I like folk art applique much better because the pieces are bigger and they seem to go quicker.

Yes it does. I have only bought one, and that was many years ago. It was an applique that used many, many fabrics and colors, so it would have meant buying lots and lots of small pieces of fabric to do it on my own. But I didn't use all of the fabrics sent to me, I changed it up. My aunt recently sent me a BOM set that she thought she would never get done. I love it, but I know I will exchanged some of the fabrics. I have to make it "mine".

Blog Entries
    I want my quilts to be all my own so I have only used one pattern. I used my own choice of fabrics. I usually think about what I want and then make it up as I go along. It does get tricky when it comes to the math of the whole thing. I know how big I want the quilt to be and with my DH's help we figure it out as I go. So far so good.

so, what difference does it really make how many others have a quilt with the same fabrics as yours? will the quilts ever be together? will your family and friends go to their home and see the same quilt? ultimately the quilt is yours, yours, yours. you cut, sew, piece, quilt, etc. it is yours.

so, i can say that i have done these bom and never worried about it. my work, my quilt and i love them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Deb
    Does it ever bother you to do a block of the month quilt?
    I have a little trouble cutting fabric. In BOMs, they provide just enough fabric (and sometime a tiny bit extra), so if you cut it wrong then you have to purchase more. Of course, that's presuming that there is more (there was not for the BOM that I joined).

I prefer to buy my own fabric so that I can purchase extra to cover my cutting foibles.

For the BOM that I joined at my LQS, they did show a variety of ways in which to make each block, so it would be good for beginners.

I am working on a block of the month now, I choose my own fabric, different from everyone else's. Each one looks so different and beautiful. This is the second block of the month quilt I've done and I really like it. But I also agree with you that I don't want a quilt that looks like everyone else's.

Personally, I like to do the BOM's. The quilt shop I go to has had BOM's for the past 5 years. She only charges $3.00 per block & has 2 different colors to choose from. She also does the buck a block in 3 different colors. One year I was doing 3 buck a blocks & 2 BOM's. It cost me only $9.00 a month. At the end of the year, you have 5 quilts to finish like you want or she has finishing kits to buy. It also gives me a chance to work on other projects in between when I finish the BAB & BOM's. So, yes, I like them.

Someone posted last week about a BOM by Beehive Quilts using Timeless Treasures fabric Wildflower Rhapsody. I saw this quilt at the IQF in Houston last year and loved it. So I signed up. Will be my first BOM, for the same various reasons already mentioned.

I'm not a BOM person. I like to choose my own fabric and quite often there is something about the block that bothers me and I spend way too much time redrafting it. That being said, I think it is a great way, in lieu of belonging to a guild, to get together with other quilters at LQSs that have monthly meetings for this or even encouraging less experienced quilters to try something new (as long as the measurements are correct).

I teach two different BOMs at two different shops. Each person picks her own fabrics. Even with all the same fabrics, if there are 20 people in the class, just how many of those people are close enough friends that you're going to see your quilt in their homes? BOM is a learning experience. Learn the techniques and don't fret that someone else will have the same quilt. I've seen lots of quilts that I would love to make, and I don't worry that mine will be like someone else's.

I have done several BOMs. It is a lot less overwhelming to make a big project when you do it one step at a time. And it is a great way to learn different patterns.

It seems like a good way to actually get a quilt top finished BUT if you are a procrastinator, like me, you will end up with a bunch of unpieced quilt blocks.

Blog Entries
    I don't consider having blocks made by some one else a hindrance. Put them all together at the end of the year and you have a friendship quilt. I would like to see each block I receive have an embroideried name on it.
    I view them as "from a friend who cares" and treasure everyone.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast