Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Does it ever bother you?

I have never done a Block of the month. If possible I would get the pattern and then go shopping for my fabric. I am like you I do not want to make a quilt that so many others are making. I feel that each person needs to express their individuality and creativity in such matters. Jeanniebelle

I started a BOM this year at my LQS. It is beautiful and will look great in my house. I don't care that others will have the same quilt because I will have made mine! I don't think that there are too many people who will see it and say oh it looks just like 'Mary's'. If they do, so what. I say go for it:thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I sometimes use BOM pattern sets, but use my own fabrics. Also, I usually adapt sized to me preference even if it means rearranging the blocks. This won was supposed to be much bigger than the one I adapted.
    What BOM is this? Are patterns still available? You did a beautiful job on choosing fabric. And I do like some BOMs, some I don't. This one is sooo pretty!

I have done several BOM and only finished one. I still have the rest of the blocks and I am trying to get to them.

Blog Entries
    I once did a block of the month for a quilted jacket. This one was by mail. I kept up monthly and then let it just sit for a year. You made a large quilted piece for the two fronts, back, two sleeves, and hood. Finally put it all together and really am happy with it.

I enjoy doing the BOTM however I do my own fabric choice
    I do not do mystery quilts. Guess I need to feel in control.
    Good Luck. :D

I only do BOM if I like the fabric and pattern. I dont worry about what others maybe doing.

I am currently doing the Rose of Sharon BOM. I love the colors.

I have never done one from a kit. The one I did, we all picked our own fabrics and made the blocks. There are very few kits that I want to pay the price for so that I can have something just like several other peoples quilts! :thumbdown:

I make fabric changes and sometimes applique placement locations to the ones I make. It's relaxing for me to do the BOMs because I don't have to design anything (which I do, design quilts, that is.)

I did a couple of BOM quilts a few years ago, one I loved doing with friends ... but the 2nd one ... we had problems with patterns & shorted fabric.
    I haven't done one since ! A lot of BOM's are lovely but REALLY expensive !! I'd rather put MY choice of fabrics together with patterns. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    My problem would be keeping up with the BOM. It would probably end up a UFO :shock: because I would feel bad about getting so far behind on it.
    That would be me too!

I would much rather plan my own. BOMs can be pretty expensive and I don't think I want to invest that much when I can do what I want and have fun doing it and not spend nearly so much.

I don't do these block of the month because I want to choose the fabrics. I don't want to have the same as hundreds of others.

This is why I would rather do Mystery Quilts....yes, the pattern is the same for all, but the fabrics are different which can make a HUGE difference to the look. This way I don't feel I have the same as everyone else. I like my "unique-ness" too!
    Claudia

Blog Entries
    I know what you mean, I like to make the pattern but with my
    own fabric choices, I too, like to make it my own.

The blocks might be the same but the setting of them will be different from person to person. Soooo....nope, doesn't bother me.

Blog Entries
    I am in so many sewing groups and doing projects for each of them that I have to make 2 blocks a day to stay caught up. It's fun and keeps me challenged even when I get behind. I keep each project with fabric, pattern, thread, everything I need for that project in it's own basket. I can pick up the basket I need and be out the door to the group meeting without having to search or wonder if I have everything. I love big baskets for quilting projects I'm working on.

Ok.. so here is what I decided. I like the quilt they are doing- Out of the Darkness, and the fabrics chosen so far are wonderful. I am willing to pay for the convience of having them plan and have it ready to go for me, that's how I am looking at this one. I did ask and only about 10 people are doing this one.

here is what I thought was odd- the kits are 10 each, not bad, the background is 9 1/2 yards, a little pricey but I'd rather have it consistent then run out of my dye lot.... but the class they are offering is 20 if you just want 1 and 100 for once a month classes. Seems a bit steep to me.

If you bought the kits I have seen, they run $29-39 plus shipping...if the price you quoted includes the fabric and class that is not bad. If it is $100 plus fabric it sounds steep to me

Blog Entries
    I love BOMs. I'm doing the Saturday Sampler from my LQS and even though there are probably 90 or so folks doing this, it doesn't bother me. My quilt will be mine!!

The kit includes- monthly pattern and colored fabrics. The background I had to buy on my own. The fabrics are all Kaufmans and are well matched.
    I think a $100 class is steep. But, this shop has a lot of people that like to be held by the hand through each step on projects. For the amount of time they'll spend helping some people I can understand it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pdcakm
    so, what difference does it really make how many others have a quilt with the same fabrics as yours? will the quilts ever be together? will your family and friends go to their home and see the same quilt? ultimately the quilt is yours, yours, yours. you cut, sew, piece, quilt, etc. it is yours.

so, i can say that i have done these bom and never worried about it. my work, my quilt and i love them.
    my thoughts exactly!! Besides, I hate picking out fabric. I've done one BOM from Joanns and it's on my bed now and it cost only $2.99 per pkg. (I think) I know it wasn't expensive. I'm in the process of a West of Baltimore BOM from Keepsake Quilting and it has a bazillion parts to it - but it's soooo beautiful. The cost was $24.95 per month plus the 4 corner blocks plus the background and backing material. Lots of $$$$ BUT I love it, I want it, I need it. AND it all came to me - I didn't have to go fabric shopping. Nearest fabric is WalMart - 30 miles or a Joanns - 50 miles --- one way.

BTW I never was shorted on material. In fact the Keepsake Quilting one has a LOT of extra fabric that I've used in other quilts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I am doing the patriots in petticoats BOM but only using the patterns, not the fabric line chosen for this quilt.
    I am using my own CW repro fabrics instead. I do not like cookie cutter quilts...you know everyone's will be the same!
    But some prefer that.
    I am doing the same pattern, but as a beginner, I am using the fabric provided for this one. Just want to get more experience and ideas.

I have done a few...doesn't bother me that others might have the same quilt. Many people start them and never finish them...and most of the time I don't know any of the other people so I will never see their quilt and they will never see mine. I am doing a "Buck A Block" of the month at our quilt shop now.
    Just my thoughts on it.

In our little town of Dallas,we are fortunate to have a wonderful quilt store that does BOM's every year. It's just a $5 sign-up fee and $5 per block. There are usually 4 different fabric choices. Everyone meets once a month to pick up the newest packet and Rachel always has a theme going for the year. This year it is "The Language of Flowers". One year it was the "Oregon Trail'. She gives us information each time on the theme for the year. She has been so successful with this that she now has about seven sessions per month with over 100 ladies attending each session. We get to have a show and tell which is really fun,too. Look forward to it every month and this year I am doing two of the color choices.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast