Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does this seem reasonable? >

Does this seem reasonable?

Does this seem reasonable?

Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 PM

I advertised once on ebay... got a quilt order from it for a tshirt quilt, lol.

Remember, when you think this is a good price...shipping both ways will be about 17.00 USD..so you will need to add 34.00 to that price.

When I advertised...I included batting...cheaper for the customer that way.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:27 PM

As a long arm quilter I would suggest you do a google search for long arm quilters who are in or close to your own state. If they have a website or photo site or blog site they should come up. It is my understanding you cannot advertise on this site until you reach a certain level of participation. Which is understandable, you want to show you are an active member of this forum not just someone who joined so they could advertise here.

There are many people who are shipping their tops to Long arm quilters either because the quality of quilting they are looking for is not available locally or there are just not enough local long arm quilters. I don't think doing it to save money is a good reason to ship a quilt top you have spent time and money on. In our area of Eastern Iowa .015 per square inch for an edge to edge design is a pretty standard fee. Many also carry batting on a roll and a few have backing material as well.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 PM

Beware that she said "twin" and she also said "cloud" quilting. Maybe this is the only size she can handle, maybe the "cloud" is the only one she knows. I would ask some questions too. Then again, look at it from a different angle, maybe she is lonely, lives way out of town and this is what she loves to do. If you were a long armer and just wanted to keep busy, how would you advertise if you were "way out of town". I would try her with one, twin size, and see how it goes. I would not be afraid to use her once. (By the way, I have 30 tops ready to go). But I willl probably have mine done locally or my Amish friend will hand quilt it for me. Of course, I pay her. Go for it!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Banned

if you ask, a lot of them on ebay are also on Etsy and other places..and MOST of them have actual websites! Mailing is NOT a bad thing...though I prefer UPS for things of real value!
Old 02-17-2012, 04:40 AM

Default Does this seem reasonable

I have used e-bay to have 2 quilts machine stitched and would not do it again. My sister sent one also and hers was not done to satisfaction. For me the stitches are too large and the lady made a mess of my sisters. I did not leave a negative feedback like I should have because then a negative feedback would have been left on mine. I also took some quilts to a local person and she did great on the first two but ruined the third one. Found another long arm quilter I trust. Be careful because when you have that much time and money in a quilt you don't want it ruined.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:10 AM

The price seems to cheap. When something sounds to good to be true it generally is. Some quilters do really shabby work nothing to compliment the quilt. I like really nice work and prefer to do it myself on my domestic machine. This saves me money and my skills are improving. I take my time and practice on scrap sandwiches. No I can't do what a long arm can do at this point, but I still think it looks better than some overall design that has no compliment to the quilt.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:23 AM

I also would be very nervous. I am a long arm quilter and I am familiar with several others and there are none that I know that would come close to that price. I don't know how or why anyone would do it for that low price. I guess I am always hesitant when something is very low compared to "the going rate". Without looking at some of the work and seeing the thread quality and I guess I didn't look but do you send the batting also? I would worry about batting quality if you didn't include your own. I wouldn't do it but that's just me.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:42 AM

Just remember you get what you pay for. Flat rate quilting either by ebay or local quilter too, you really need to see their work in person or contact other people that have used. Most quilters do not have a problem with that. I have seen quilting from my area that people have paid a flat rate for. Some of it was good but a few were not. Remember you get what you pay for.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 AM

She seems to be too vague and her stitching is very wide apart
Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 AM

I have sent four quilts to two different LA quilters that I found on Ebay. I was not in the least disappointed. One did a regular panto and the other did custom quilting (she did an awesome job, changing thread colors according the the area she was working on). I did not however make the transaction through Ebay. I contacted them, and they provided their websites which showed examples of their work. I would not hesitate to recommend them.