Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does this seem reasonable? >

Does this seem reasonable?

Does this seem reasonable?

Old 02-17-2012, 07:57 AM

Be really careful with this. I used someone from ebay to quilt one of my quilts and although she had great feedback and was recommended by a friend of mine my experience was horrible! She promised a two week turn around and I got it back in six weeks with lots of excuses and horrible quilting. I had to constantly remind her that she promised my quilt in two weeks after three weeks of no communication. When I finally got the quilt back it was quilted poorly and I was a wreck since this was a quilt for my godmother's birthday. I paid her promptly and she offered no discount or refund for poor quality quilting or the missed deadline. I would ask a lot of questions and get everything in writing. Good Luck!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:22 AM

What if the quilt gets lost? Is there someone local?
Old 02-17-2012, 08:34 AM

I have used ebay for quilting services and have always been very happy with what I have recieved. I would again but I found a local woman whos 12.00 a yard for LAQ, it makes quilting affordable for me
Old 02-17-2012, 08:35 AM

I used a laq once, her prices seemed to good to be true...but I did not want to spend a lot of money.....can't tell you how unhappy I was when I got my quilt back.....just be careful and check it all out.....
Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 AM

Don't do it, it's seems to risky to me to put that much work into something to send it off and worry about the quality of work, are they going to fine an excuse to charge more and the worry of getting it back. There are to many things to worry about to me. If you deciede to try it be careful and good luck, let us know the outcome.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 AM

I actually found a really good LQS that advertised an unbelieveable price for quilting a quilt - they were trying to boost their long arm service business. I had a small table runner done first - very nice. They next piece I had them do was a wall hanging and the owner made a great suggestion for part of the design - ended up that the wall hanging won a first place ribbon at our guild quilt show - and the owner's first ribbon also!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:36 PM

I would rather have a local LAQer quilt something that I have put my heart and soul into (not to mention fabric and work!) than to trust it to an unknown. Feedback isn't always what it seems. Anyone with an email address can post feedback. (friends of the seller or the seller him/her self). I know there are a lot of reputable E-Bay sellers, but how do you know for sure? You take a chance if you don't know the LAQer or someone who recommends her. I know a lot of people who have had good experiences on E-Bay and almost as many who have had bad experiences. I don't know of anyone who has used an LAQer from E-Bay. If you decide to go this route, please let us know the results.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:16 PM

This seller has a very good selling record. However, you will pay postage both ways so that has to be figured in ( if you send 2 quilts that will double the shipping). I didn't notice what her turn around time is. I guess at that price and you're ok with the service she offers, go for it. You should check with her to see what her turn around is. A lot of quilters offer longarm services via Ebay, a lot of beginners start out that way. You'll never know if you don't try it. Go for it.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:19 PM

I have used Daisey from this board and she did an excellent job. I know there are many here who are reasonable; you might ask around here among the board longarmers (smile). They are careful with our precious cargos.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:45 PM

Sometimes especially this time of year ( after the fall and holiday rush) , a Long Arm Quilter will take on work for very reduced prices just to help defray the cost of their equipment ( some take out loans). Other new quilters can use it a method to get new customers. But find out all of the costs. In my neck of the woods many charge a loading charge, bobbin charge, thread etc. So at that price there is reason to be suspect , but if the customer feed back is possitive.... maybe a simple top to test .