Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: does your husband

BarbaraTx....I use to have 64-1/2 mustang in the 60s...I wish I still had it, but don't, after I sold it to a young kid, he totalled it 6 mo later that was back in the 70s. I think that is wonderful that your hubby likes what you do.

Blog Entries
    "My husband doesn't support much of anything that I do. There's days when I can't even breathe to suit him. Besides, it would cost too much to get rid of him and I'm too old to break in a new one. LOL"

Gee, that sounds soooo familiar. One of the many reasons I don't get any sewing done.

I am blessed! Mine is a keeper for sure after 52 yrs. He loves quilting as much as me. I sew the tops and he quilts them on our long arm. I just can't keep up with making tops. He loves going to quilt shops and shows.

My husband is definitely in the keeper category. He supports and encourages my quilting endeavours, is keen to help out with pinning or cutting and will queue at fabric stores during sale time, so I can look for more bargains. All in all quite saint-like...however, as they say, there is method in the madness! It keeps me quiet!

Mine is definitely a keeper.
    I showed him a project I pieced today after church. Layed it in front of him at the computer where he was playing a video game and I said, "You're addicted to that game" and not skipping a beat he said, "You're addicted to that quilting". We laughed and then he told me how nice the runner was and wanted to know if we were "keeping this one or sending it off". "Sending it off". "Too bad, it's nice".
    He is very supportive, gives me honest opinions not just what I want to hear, stops at LQS if nearby, has begun looking for a FW for me and asks about yard sales and auctions if I want to go and look for machines or fabric. Nowadays I have to remind him we don't have the extra money but thanks just the same for thinking of me. His only hobbies are reading, computer games that really challenge you, being a handy man/fixer upper. He has many tools in the garage all of which he makes good use of. He could build a new home for us if we could afford it.
    He loves helping friends and neighbors, is head of the mens group at church, drives the Veterans van for the vets in our area who need a ride to Dr's appts, and goes to college full time. Did I mention he is retired? And yes he can cook, do dishes, wash windows, and he even cleans toilets. We are a pretty good team after 36 1/2 years. Guess he is going to keep me around, too.

yes, and I would expect no less. This is what we do for each other.

my husband try's to support me on anything i try , hes always been an encouragement , and try's to help me n anyway he can , its nice to have our family and hubby's support

My husband is very supportive. When my one and only sewing machine needed to go in for repairs, he said that I should go buy another one to have as a backup! Needless to say, I was on my way to the sewing machine shop before he finished the sentence. I guess he can relate because the garage looks like a John Deere showroom!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BethD
    My husband is very supportive. When my one and only sewing machine needed to go in for repairs, he said that I should go buy another one to have as a backup! Needless to say, I was on my way to the sewing machine shop before he finished the sentence. I guess he can relate because the garage looks like a John Deere showroom!
    I love it !! hahahahahaha :thumbup:
    What a guy!! And what a fast runner you are hahahah

Mine has bought sewing machines for me, and found quilt shops when we travel. I've taken over the family rm, and that is okay with him, but he won't let me have half of the garage. Oh, yes he does the laundry, will cook once in awhile,or we go out to eat. We've been married 53 1'2 yrs, and he's my guy. He did give my featherweight to Goodwill which really cost him.

I've got a keeper-DH too. :)

He oooh's and ahhh's over my quilts, even taking photos with his cell phone so he can show the guys he works with. :mrgreen: He never says anything about what I spend. As long as the bills are paid and there's food on the table, he's happy. :wink:

He's answered CraigsList ads for sewing machines and fabric, and even picks fabric for me at the store and has it cut for me ... all by himself.

He can fix just about anything, so if one of my sewing machines needs something, he can usually do it. Shelves for my sewing room ... no problem.

It's funny when we're shopping, because I'll choose a basic item, and he'll point out that for a few dollars more, I can get this fancy model over here! :lol:

He's a keeper! :)

Married 22 years; dated for 6 years. We've been together since I was 13 years old. (Well, I wasn't allowed to date until I was 16, but you know what I mean! LOL!)

This says it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

While my husband of 33 yrs this month doesn't shop fabric for me or openly support my addiction to quilting, he will buy stuff that i want for quilting . Wheni was looking for a second hand machine to take to the cottage- he bought me a 6600! and he just let me buy a 1948 Fw for my birthday! he can be very generous when he wants and doesn't really have a clue about how much i spend on fabric! i don't think that i want him taking up my hobby b/c he would probably be better at it than me and i'd have to quit! :) I'm keeping him just the same.

I have an aunt that said for every penny he spent on restoring antique tractors she could spend the same amount on her green cherry blossom depression glass hobby. She has a full set (enough to set the big table for holidays) and has extended to collecting other things as their fleet of Allis Chalmers grew. Since their retirement I believe they have all the tractors they want, but she still spends-from they years before her equal spending started.

My hubby also is a car guy. His weakness is corvettes. He has completely restored a 1970. I was in on the color choices and have named her "the other woman". He's supportive with my sewing as it gives him the remote! We will be married 39 years in Sept so I guess we have worked out the ins and outs of our hobbies. and I love riding in 'the other woman'

My husband is quite a supporter of my quilting and sewing he does show off my sewing room and my stash. He admires my quilting and helps me put up the frames. He takes me to quilting stores whenever we are out. All I have to say I need this or that. In fact we have made some trips to HF. Maria

Blog Entries
    my DH supports my quilting. He knows how many gifts I have made that he didn't have to buy. He built me a 3 sided sewing table and other things that has made my quilting easier. The only thing I have to be sensitive about is not to quilt so much that I don't have time to spend with him.
    That's why I have things to hand sew to do in the evening sitting with him to watch TV. We are retired so he has a woodshop where he spends a lot of time. He is so proud of the things I show him.

Quiltmom,
    I would've loved to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame and the quilt shops. Your DH sounds like a keeper.
    Sharon W.

Quote Originally Posted by grannie cheechee
    Mine has bought sewing machines for me, and found quilt shops when we travel. I've taken over the family rm, and that is okay with him, but he won't let me have half of the garage. Oh, yes he does the laundry, will cook once in awhile,or we go out to eat. We've been married 53 1'2 yrs, and he's my guy. He did give my featherweight to Goodwill which really cost him.
    You let him live after giving your featherweight away??
    rofl

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin chris
    My DH doesn't comment about my sewing stuff but he is sure to tell everyone I have 4 sewing machines. That's not so many, is it?
    I have a 1938 Singer featherweight, an old red eye treadle, a Janome Gem and a Janome 10000.

He never gripes about my fabric purchases thank goodness.
    Wouldn't do him any good anyway.

Chris
    4 machines is a drop in the bucket. lol I think I have 11. That doesn't count the 2 treadles that don't work yet. I have 4 featherweights among others.
    MY Hubby built me some wonderful shelves in my sewing room(redid the closet). He likes that I make quilts, he says if it makes me happy its okay with him.
    He's an enabler of antique machines.
    Sharon W.

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    I definitely think you should keep him. Mine is sure supportive of me...the quilting frame in my avatar picture is one that he designed and built for me when we couldn't afford to buy one...then he built one for a friend of mine who was in the same predicament. He checks in on my and brings me a glass of wine or a cup of tea when he thinks I might be a bit thirsty and oohs and ahs without being encouraged. His hobby is fly-fishing and fly-tying and I reciprocate in good measure. He's a keeper. (Besides, it's too much work to break in a different one! LOL)

My hubby helps me pick out fabrics for my quilts. I'll show him the pattern and tell him what colors I'm wanting to do it in and then he'll help me pick out just the right fabrics

My DH is super supportive and quite the enabler! He has encouraged me to buy my many machines, and fabrics....I say I bought fabric, he says that's good! He wanted me to do machine quilting-I didn't. He made me go look at a frame and when I said I will think about it, he bought it for me with his ebay money!!! He is a keeper! Course, I do the same for his hobbies, and they aren't cheap!

My husband has to approve every thing I want to buy and even then I have to beg him for it. I make quilts for people for spending money and I still have to ask if it's ok or he'll get mad.

My dh is very supportive. My sewing machine (an old Viking #1) recently had an unfortunate meeting with a pin and it was going to be VERY expensive to repair relative to its worth. He let me buy a new BabyLock Symphony. Over Memorial Day we went canoing in Virginia and he had found a quilt shop on the way home that was open on Memorial Day! We pulled up in front and he told me to take as long as I wanted. He waited in the car while I had a ball. His job is very demanding so he has little time for hobbies but he is wonderfully supportive of mine. I have told him that he MUST find a hobby before he retires!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast