Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
donating quilts? >

donating quilts?

donating quilts?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:53 AM

http://www.quiltsforcomfort.com/
We donate to Quilts for Comfort in Delaware.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:55 AM

I donate to the local pregnancy place where the young girls can shop for the quilts using the points they earn for taking classes to help them be better mothers.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by anniesews
I donate to the local pregnancy place where the young girls can shop for the quilts using the points they earn for taking classes to help them be better mothers.
sorry...of topic...but I love the kitty pic...reminds me of our newest baby...his markings are almost exactly the same, except he has a dark line under his chin that looks like it is holding his mask on.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:00 AM
mim

Originally Posted by diannemc
How do you decide where to donate? I would like to do some children quilts but don't know how or where??
for a long time the on line group I was with made preemie quilts for a hospital in Finland where one of our members lived.

Other times I made quilts for stillborn babies. Their mothers could hold the baby to say goodby -- sometimes the babe was buryed wrapped with the quilt -- others were kept as a memory of a lost loved little one.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:23 AM

I did some for the kids in the womens shelter 2 yrs ago.I figured that the kids were going through alot and a nice quilt would give them something to snuggle to.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:57 PM

Don't forget nursing homes or assisted living places. They have a need and a lot of seniors get cold easily so quilts are a definite plus for them.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:12 PM

At our quilting group we make lap size quilts for dialysis patients to keep them warm during the treatment. We also have a First Alert Program and make them to use on patients to keep from going into shock. We found the quilts are not allowed to be reused so whoever uses it the first time gets to keep it.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:14 PM

I don't have time to go through the whole thread but I give mine to Project Linus. Go to the website, www.projectlinus.com and find someone near you that takes them. I take mine to a choice of two quilt shops that take care of it for me.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by diannemc
How do you decide where to donate? I would like to do some children quilts but don't know how or where??
The best place is Linus Quilts. Google it to find a contact.

We also donate to local shelters, the hospitals, Ronald McDonald House andany others that request them.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:17 PM

Keep your eyes open for local benefits for local families. I recently have done quilts for a benefit, they were very well received.

You may see flyers in the grocery store or gas station. If there is no contact info on the flyer, go to the place where it will be held, they likely have contact info.

Having just co-chaired a benefit, I can say that it would be a wonderful surprise to have someone offer to donate. Normally the co-chairs are running around soliciting donations, which can be time consuming and exhausting.