Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
donating quilts? >

donating quilts?

donating quilts?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:01 PM

Check with your local churchs and social services agency. At this time of the year they usually make up baskets for needy families and a few quilts will go a long way fill a basket or two.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:06 PM

You might want to check out the local chapter of Projct Linus, which supplies quilts to traumatized and neglected kids, kids in shelters, etc.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:28 PM

I donate childrens quilts to RMH, Ronald McDonald House. They are in need and hospitals for premees that have to stay there for awhile, but you do need to check with the hospital to make sure what sizes and materials you can use.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:29 PM

Check out some of the homes for children. Our guild made quilts in Atlanta for one of the homes. You would be surprised how much they need them.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by babydragon
Originally Posted by Phyl
Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
If you want to donate baby quilts ask the area hospital. I don't know what its like for other places, but ours gives a small gift basket to new moms with coupons and baby stuff that the mom really needs.

Groups that help women going through domestic violence defiantly could use them. I went to one of their shelters and a few of the women there had small children.
I was completing a lap quilt to be donated and I felt my grandsons (6 and 8) should know what I was doing. The younger one had been in the hospital a few weeks earlier. I said "Wouldn't you have loved if someone made a special quilt for you to hold and have?" He , of course, said yes. I wasn't sure if the older boy had really been listening but a few minutes later he came over to me, reached in his jeans pocket and took out all of his change. "I only have 37 cents Grandma, but do you think this will help the children too?"
My heart flooded with love for this generous offer. "It will help tremendously. I am very proud of you."
When the lady came for the quilts my group had made, I told her what my grandson had done. She said she would write him a note thanking him for his thoughtful generosity. This is what we hope our children will become. Givers. Caring, generous givers. I couldn't be more proud.
Your grandson is a wonderful and thoughtful child. In Judiaism we have an actual commandment for Tzedaka ( pronunced Sedakah) which commands you to give, no matter how little you have. It goes toward what we refer to as Tikkum Olam ( repairing the world) Your grandson has made far more progress in Tikkum Olam than many adults:)
Thank you. I am VERY proud of him. I think this will be a good memory for him as he continues to help repair the world.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by diannemc
How do you decide where to donate? I would like to do some children quilts but don't know how or where??
PLEASE PLEASE check with your local Ronald McDonald House, they are always taking dontations of quilts and small pillows.

We have had the need to stay at various RMD houses around the country over the years and these extra things have been a true blessing to our daughter.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:43 PM

Some church nursery, police dept. for when they p/u a child from an accident or CPS. Womens' shelter are some that come to mind, I am sure that there are more.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:51 PM

I have been doing small quilts for for many years, Some go to the local Nursing home as lap robes and some go to the Hospitals for children having surgery,and hospital stays. The little ones find comfort in having their own blankey.
Good Luck :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 11-15-2010, 07:03 PM

Has anyone ever heard about Soldiers' Angels? This is where you make blankets for soldiers. The website is very explanitory. Go to www.soldiersangels.org. It is a wonderful organization and is the kind that can make you feel warm all over [with the fuzzy feeling close behind. :D :D]. Just thought I would pass it along. Everyone have a great evening.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:04 PM

Don't forget your local Child Welfare agency. When they remove children from crisis situations, the children usually bring nothing with them. And the state budgets don't provide for the necessities. Some police like to keep them in the trunk of their cars for emergency situations. We asked the fire dept. here but they say they have no room for such things on their trucks.