Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
donating quilts? >

donating quilts?

donating quilts?

Old 11-15-2010, 07:11 PM

God bless you for your compassion. Once you get started making these gems, you will be hooked!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:11 PM

At our hospitals, we have a number of volunteers called "Pink Ladies" - they wear pink shirts and provide all sorts of ancillary services to hospitals. If you have something similar, you could approach them at your children's hospital, or go to a children's charity. Perhaps your Education Authority could help out? Teachers go into hospitals to teach long - term sick kids here. Failing all of that, I would just approach the administration of your local children's hospital - you might be starting something. I have made quilts for a palliative care hospital in my area and just give them to the office.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:43 PM

My Quilt Guild has been making small quilts for several years. We label them "Kids' Quilts" omitting the name of the Guild. We donate them to a shelter in our area for abused women and children. So often children are snatched up in an emergency situation and don't have time to bring anything they love with them. We think a quilt can bring comfort to them. We also give some to the Children's Hospital, and to a home for unwed mothers. One lady in our Guild has made over 400 herself!!
Old 11-15-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by diannemc
How do you decide where to donate? I would like to do some children quilts but don't know how or where??
I make what is called a 6 hour quilt and give them to our main shelter and they hand them out. A lot of them go to the childrens home and the women shelter. I try to make a pillow case for each blanket so the children have both. The pattern was written by Kay Woods. Its great and you can make them as large as you need to. You do the front ,batting and back all at once.then just put your binding around. Check with your churches and shelters. Good Luck Lor6209
Old 11-16-2010, 06:16 AM

I just now visited the Downy site and requested the kit. I think I will love doing this. I've never donated to anyone before. I'm still trying to get all my kids and grandkids quilts made before I'm gone. I got a late start on quilting.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:57 AM

The other thing I thought of is making lap robes to donate to nursing homes. Having been a CNA once upon a time, I know how much those are appreciated!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:11 AM

In my little community we have a man who volunteers to fly people for medical treatments - Angel Flight - and my guild keeps him supplied with quilts of all kinds to give to each person he flies. He is also nice enough to get us pictures of the folks with the quilts we make. Women/family shelters are always in need of quilts too.

Bless you for wanting to bless others!
Old 11-16-2010, 03:01 PM

I make quilts for our fire dept and the chef has them in their vechile or some one else does. Each dept has some. Many time there has been a accident and the children are upset and it brings a simle to their to their face.. My son is chief and he always calls me and says mom you made someone happy. That really lifts your heart.I always try to use fire dept material and have made a label from the dept.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 PM

People undergoing chemo need them, too!
I have done quite a few for Project Linus---poly knits work--and if you use blankets instead of batting, those last about forever.....
Old 11-16-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
http://www.downy.com/en-US/helping-k...FUPu7QodSC9wIg

Quilts for Kids is a great cause. They will send you a quilt kit. Check it out.

This is my suggestion also. As you get faster and more comfortable you can request multiple kits. I usually get 6 at a time.

Local Fire Department is another choice, especially now that the colder weather is setting in and unfortunately, in our area, the number of house fires is on thr rise. Bless you for wanting to make quilts for others.......any one will appreciate anything you offer them. It does make me feel good when I ship the boxes out.