Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
donating quilts? >

donating quilts?

donating quilts?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by diannemc
How do you decide where to donate? I would like to do some children quilts but don't know how or where??
I check with local churches, I look for organizations that work and help as close to my locality as I can possibly get.
Check with your Senior citizens' Center - - they are well-aware of local needs and outreach. Even the smallest town has a church or organization or business who has the answer to your question - - I'll even bet your local police officer knows where children need quilts! <wave>
Old 11-17-2010, 03:04 PM

have any of you considered making quilts for disabled vets that are in nursing homes or v a hospitals? they don't even have to be disabled - they have laid their lives on the line to protect our freedom - time to say thanks and give a little comfort to them -
Old 11-17-2010, 03:36 PM

I make quilts to sell for extra money and I also make quilts and donate them to the nursing home in our town. The older patients really seem to enjoy them and if they leave to go home or somewhere else, then it's their quilt and they can do what they want with it.That's the one condition I made with the nursing home.The quilts were gifts to each new patient who came there, and the quilts were wrapped as gifts and handed to the patient,not just dropped off at the nursing home.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:44 PM

I make from 12-15 twin size quilts each year for the Childrens Home. I am from Illinois and the Home takes kids from 12 to 18 from all over the state. When they leave they take the quilts with them. They have room for 50 kids. Last year I made 13, this year I have made 14. I am always looking for quick easy quilt patterns so that all the quilts are not the same pattern. My favorite so far has been the Cubby Hole and Courthouse Steps, both similar.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by liondenise
have any of you considered making quilts for disabled vets that are in nursing homes or v a hospitals? they don't even have to be disabled - they have laid their lives on the line to protect our freedom - time to say thanks and give a little comfort to them -
I am a member of The American Legion Auxiliary. I joined for one reason: to ensure that our veterans were being served in the manner that I could serve.
When my daughter, one Christmas, vowed that our family outreach would be VETERANS, I set out to find out how to do that most effectively.
I had a choice or two or three!
I was aware of online organizations that gave out free patterns, took in all the largess of whatever gifts or talents we had, and after my paying postage to get the products to them, they would distribute anywhere and wherever their stated mission took them.
I could start from scratch and make up my own group, either locally (though I didn't know many people around here) or I could go online and make some friends and start my own online operation ....
OR!
I could find someone acting locally who had already figured out what the needs were, how to get those needs filled, and all I had to invest was my time in production, rather than keep track of a bunch of other producers.
in other words, I could re-invent the wheel, or get aboard a wheel already turning.
and, I found the American Legion family.
I found a niche immediately because I knew what I wanted to do - - all the Auxiliary had to do was point me to my outlet.
The wonderful thing is: the more time I spent around the Legion, the more inclusive I found the principles and programs to be.
Basically, The American Legion Family has three points of outlet - - Veterans, Children and Youth, and the Community.
If you have a heart to serve others - - The American Legion Family will help you fulfill that desire, sometimes, in more ways than you can imagine.
Here in Washington State, I can tell you three places IMMEDIATELY that can use your quilts, and if Operation Stork, Fisher House, and a local children's program doesn't catch you fancy, I'll bet your local American Legion Family will help you find the place to serve. <wave>
Old 11-19-2010, 06:33 PM

There are agencies who encourage mothers to keep their babies (not abort). In order to help them out, they may have a gift set for the new mother and baby. Check to see if your city may have this service.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:06 PM

Our quilting group has donated quilts to hospitals, valor,women`s centre,baby`s nursery,sick chrildren`s foundation,senoir`s home.We`s sold tickets on quilts as fundraisers for,wish foundation, hospital,shriners,cancer,etc.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:06 AM

Our quilting guild does cuddle quilts for the abused . We each child has a quilt and a bag for his or her belongings. Works out good.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:56 AM

Crisis pregnancy centers sometimes gives quilts to moms who have earned enough points for one by going to dr's appts., etc.