Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dreaming - Quilting Reality Show >

Dreaming - Quilting Reality Show

Dreaming - Quilting Reality Show

Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Power Poster

What a GREAT idea! I would love to see a show like this!
Old 12-01-2011, 09:39 PM

I wouldn't qualify to be a contestant but I sure would enjoy watching the show.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Power Poster

It could work if the quilters designed one block (make one block to show it is sewable) with the theme or what ever the challenge was with EQ7 and the computer could print out the whole quilt top (big engineer printers do huge print outs). Each week instead of a runway there would be a quilt show with a winner. No drama needed. It would be like being at a retreat. I would watch it every night!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't miss an episode! I love the idea!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:51 AM

Great idea, but it would not sell as a reality show because quilters are friendly people who share and help each other (if this board is anything to go by) and we just do not have that dog-eat-dog attitude. Seems the world out there want to see fighting and under-handed dealings, not the upliftment of creativity and working together. Wouldn't it be bliss to be locked in a house with like-minded artists and be able to only do quilting, quilting and quilting? And yapping, yapping and yapping?
Old 12-03-2011, 04:18 AM

Default Dreaming - Quilting Reality Show

Hooray!! I love this idea, and I have to say that this has been a little nebulous idea in my mind for our upcoming quilt show and competition in May, 2012. Awesome idea, and I'll let you know if/how it turns out!!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:48 AM

I anything should develop, I want to know! Be sure to give us the date, channel or tv station.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:17 AM

Now that would be ONE reality show I would watch. I hate reality shows in general but this would be fun!!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:03 AM

Callie, I agree. I dislike, and don't watch those shows for that very reason. Any program that degrades a person's character, or that of a profession, gets a thumbs down in my house. Some of the doctor shows weren't too bad, but they didn't give any credit to the hard working nurses. The ones who spend the most time with the patients, and are often the ones advising the doctors of what comes next. Canned laughter is another turn off. If canned laughter is part of the show - count me out.

A "perfect" quilt show would not eliminate anyone, but send them to a different project room, where they would all end up working on a collaborative project, or charity quilts, with a guest instructor. Even the show winner would end up in the "remedial studio" with their sew and tell projects as a summary of the season.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:15 AM

Your idea sounds just like the retreat center at Threads of Time in Danville, Il. There's beautifully "quilt" decorated rooms, wonderful sewing rooms, design walls, cutting tables, etc. All of that AND it's attached to a magnificent fabric store!

I'm not much on being on tv myself but I love to go there to quilt. The group I'm in retreats there for about a week each month.

Unfortunately we'd probably get relegated to public tv, a half hour slot with the same 5 shows aired over and over.

Originally Posted by AFQSinc View Post
Ok...I have no design skills what-so-ever but I would be wiling to try out. Especially if they let you audition in that wonderful studio.

I can see the house that we would stay in now...each room decorated with a different style or genre of quilt and quilty decorations. And because every reality show needs a little bit of drama each week there will be some controversial topic to debate: Prewash or no prewash, precuts or no precuts, cotton batting or blends...

Last edited by raptureready; 12-03-2011 at 06:17 AM.