Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: DVD Received in Mail

About 4-6 wks ago I received a DVD I did not order, from McCalls Quilting. ( I subscribe to the mag) They sent it with a "special opportunity to preview" I was going to send it back, I dont want it, didnt order it etc. Now I have a bill for it which says that in 2-3 months they will send more DVDs for a cost of the disc and S&H. I cant find the DVD now, I didn't even watch it, was intending to send it back since I didn't order it...Has anyone else on this board had this sent to them as well? I want to quilt today, not tear my craft room apart looking for this darn thing. I may have to send in the 12.95 for something that I didn't order if I cant find it........

Blog Entries
    I heard this is a scam, do not send them $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra-P
    About 4-6 wks ago I received a DVD I did not order, from McCalls Quilting. ( I subscribe to the mag) They sent it with a "special opportunity to preview" I was going to send it back, I dont want it, didnt order it etc. Now I have a bill for it which says that in 2-3 months they will send more DVDs for a cost of the disc and S&H. I cant find the DVD now, I didn't even watch it, was intending to send it back since I didn't order it...Has anyone else on this board had this sent to them as well? I want to quilt today, not tear my craft room apart looking for this darn thing. I may have to send in the 12.95 for something that I didn't order if I cant find it........

Blog Entries
    No I haven't received anything from them, but if you can't find it you might be able to get out of paying for it by writing on bill " Did not order... will not pay for " and return the bill to them.

And if you decide to pay for it write cancel in red on the invoice when you send it back to stop any future mailings .

I bought the latest edition of McCall Quilting Magazine on the newstand and it had a CD included (it played on Media Player). I would contact the company and ask them about it.

The one you have should be free. As for future ones, that may be a different story.

On my CD is their web address. mccallsquilting.com I would try and contact them.

Good luck!

I would not worry about the one you got. They can not bill you because you never ordered it. Just make sure you return the ones you receive in the future. Try to find a phone number or web site to make sure they got them and stop sending them.

I once ordered some books for my son and they kept coming every month. When the price got too high I started returning them but send me a bill for them. When I called they claimed they never received them. I not is not true. After a long argument that lasted several weeks I was credited and didn't have to pay for them but it was very aggravating.

If you didn't order it/request it, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I received the same DVD, then several days ago received a "bill" asking me to pay or send the DVD back. I just threw it away. I didn't agree to anything, so I'm not going to be bothered with it. I think it's just a trick to try and get people to send in money. Toss it and don't feel guilty about it.

I got that DVD too, I thought the part about english paper piecing was pretty informative; I mostly liked it because every one demonstrating look and act like themselves, the guy is the owner of ' make it sew' ( he's a Trecky) Quilting machine store in Broomfield Co. The insert says you can keep it with no obligation, so I am; just an FYI.. if you plan on keeping it, call them & tell them you're keeping it and not interested ( if thast's the case) the insert doesn't give you an option to answer this way... and they'll keep sending you reply cards untill they hear from you.. bad design.... They were very nice on the phone.

Thank you everyone, I will call them today. I didnt watch the DVD, so also didnt see the insert that said no obligation.

Blog Entries
    I got it unsolicited, just like you, watched it, reviewed it extensively on my blog, and packed it up to return. I found the envelope on my sewing room floor last night as I was tidying up, and (hopefully) DH stuck it in the mail slot so it goes out today.

http://quiltiliciousjourney.blogspot...cited-dvd.html

They cannot force you to pay for something you didn't request. How can they prove you recieved it or that you didn't return it and it got lost in the mail? There was a record company, the Musical Heritage Society, that tried to force people to pay for unsolicited copies of Pachelbel's Canon in C, and this made it to the courts and they lost.

The DVD wasn't bad, but it's not worth 13 bucks to me.

I got the same DVD and sent it back. I got a bill from McCall Quilting I called them and told them I sent the DVD back. I had no problem with them. I really liked the DVD but who can afford 28.95 per DVD?

bj
    Another reason I don't subscribe to mags, book clubs, or music. Have done in the past and got oodles of things I didn't want (my fault...I'm horrible with deadlines for returning the cards to get what I do want and I hate dealing with returning things). I finally decided I'm money ahead to look thru what I think I want to buy and go from there. I will buy books online if it's by an author I like or have read a review of or it's one I want to get for my gs.

JJs
    Banned
    I hate those things that are 'let us know if you don't want it' deals - you tell them you aren't interested in the first place and they just keep on and on about how it's 'no obligation' etc - then you have to remember to cancel - and there's the rub....

like the 'wonderful' insurance opportunities from credit card companies whereas they start billing you MONTHLY for insurance you didn't want in the first place - something like, 'we'll pay if your left thumb gets chopped on in an accident'.... duh

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra-P
    I swore I read in small print that if you didn't want to continue receiving DVD that you were under no obligation to pay for the free one. I sent it back anyway, didn't want them or the free one

"...I'm horrible with deadlines for returning the cards to get what I do want and I hate dealing with returning things..."

This is what they're counting on. I learned my lesson many years ago by joining two of these clubs (one for novels and one for makeup). I'd forget to send back the card, then I would receive unwanted items. It was such a hassle to return them, and I hated it. I'll never join one of those clubs again.

Banned
    Rod and Custom magazine did the same thing and a friend of mine looked up the laws on payment for something you didnt order and guess what........they are the ones that sent it to you UNSOLICITED so you are NOT obligated to pay!! And it applies to every state in the union and it is covered by some Federal Law.

Just ignore them they will get the idea

Billy

Blog Entries
    tell them you sent it back and they had best not charge you!

Pam
    Consider it a free gift.

Whenever I get something like this, I let them keep sending and I keep writing return to sender and drop it back in the mail. They have to pay return postage and it is amazing how quickly they stop sending stuff to me.

I received this too and didn't realize what it was until I had ripped it up. I watched the video and was not impressed. I taped the return envelope together and sent it back. My DH told me that if you receive unsolicited merchandize in the mail you are entitled to keep it without paying for it. I didn't want any hassels so returned it. If you get any more in the mail, DO NOT OPEN. Simple write REFUSED RETURN TO SENDER and give it back to your postman or in a mail box.

Blog Entries
    The history book club that my husband is a part of is the same way. We get books all the time but if he has not ordered them (which sometimes he does) we just write return to sender. But it is a pain to deal with and sometimes we still have to pay for something,.

Hello Sandra-P Their # 1-877-572-5735 CST 7\30-5\30
    I receive 1 and on the letter it stated that i didn't have to return it ^ / consider it a free gift, So that is what i plan on doing.Sew -Sew Have a great weekend , Nimble Timble

Yes I got that DVD to I hate it when they send stuff I did not order I sent it back real quick so I wouldnt forget. Hope you find it.

I got that too. I really liked it, but cant afford anymore, so I am going to call them. Hopefully I dont get a bill!

Blog Entries
    I also recieved the CD and it did not work. I called and they sent me another one. While on the phone I found out that future CD's will be 29.95. (I was considering ordering it for my grand daughter but the price was too high). I recently got a bill because I failed to return it. I will put it in the mail today.
    YOU DID NOT REQUEST IT........SO YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR IT.
    If I remember correctly...somewhere in the letter it said that

I received this, too. I think I read somewhere in the material, that since I did not request/order it, I was not obligated to send it back...it was mine to keep. Did anyone else see that or was I just dreaming? I haven't watched either one or sent anything back either.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast