Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 104 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 103 104 105 114 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 3648

Thread: Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shortfidler View Post
    So please, don't be afraid of your machine. Just go for it. I have learned a lot from emb.forums and sites such as Emblibrary: Quilting and Emb. are my favorite things to do outside of reading.
    I totally agree with you. When I got on this board I was only quilting but I read many threads of people who had the combo unit but were afraid of the emb part. Then I bought my first emb machine, the Viking Ruby and I promised myself that I was going to use the emb part of it. I took classes and experimented. If you don't try you'll never learn. The hardest part was when I wanted to make FSL Christmas ornaments but I wanted to use serger cone thread. It would go for a while and then it would start breaking thread so much. I never did get them finished but I did learn that if it screws up and rips your WS stabilizer, you can patch it a scrap piece of WS and some 505 spray, that was a great lesson. Then came Easter and I wanted to make the grandkids baskets, still wanted to use the serger thread but still had the problem of thread breaking constantly. I bought new thread, tried the thread in the freezer thing, thinking maybe my thread was too old or dry. Finally I read something on using a sharp needle when doing FSL and a larger needle. I got a sharp 90 and it worked great and I did about 10 baskets for my babies along with some egg holders to match. I now own a Viking Diamond Deluxe and still learning as much as possible, some in classes and most on my own but I won't give up. I paid too much for my machine to just do that. I have lots of hoops, my machine has some of the largest there are. My next thing is to learn to use the endless hoop and then the big one I just got, it stitches half of the design and then you flip the hoop around and it sews the other half of the design. That should be challenging but what satisfaction I'll get when it works. Enjoy what you do but at least try it before you give up, you'll be surprised how much fun you'll have.
    Judy

embroidery stabilizer

I have a Brother PE770. Haven't used it much. I don't ever know which stabilizer I am supposed to use for each project. The embroidering is simple to do, but getting the project into the frames is something I fret with.

Quote Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
    I totally agree with you. When I got on this board I was only quilting but I read many threads of people who had the combo unit but were afraid of the emb part. Then I bought my first emb machine, the Viking Ruby and I promised myself that I was going to use the emb part of it. I took classes and experimented. If you don't try you'll never learn. The hardest part was when I wanted to make FSL Christmas ornaments but I wanted to use serger cone thread. It would go for a while and then it would start breaking thread so much. I never did get them finished but I did learn that if it screws up and rips your WS stabilizer, you can patch it a scrap piece of WS and some 505 spray, that was a great lesson. Then came Easter and I wanted to make the grandkids baskets, still wanted to use the serger thread but still had the problem of thread breaking constantly. I bought new thread, tried the thread in the freezer thing, thinking maybe my thread was too old or dry. Finally I read something on using a sharp needle when doing FSL and a larger needle. I got a sharp 90 and it worked great and I did about 10 baskets for my babies along with some egg holders to match. I now own a Viking Diamond Deluxe and still learning as much as possible, some in classes and most on my own but I won't give up. I paid too much for my machine to just do that. I have lots of hoops, my machine has some of the largest there are. My next thing is to learn to use the endless hoop and then the big one I just got, it stitches half of the design and then you flip the hoop around and it sews the other half of the design. That should be challenging but what satisfaction I'll get when it works. Enjoy what you do but at least try it before you give up, you'll be surprised how much fun you'll have.

Blog Entries
    Rexie,

There are many kings of stabilizers, for different weights/types
    of fabrics.

I personally LOVE the Floriani "Stabilizing Solutions" they give info
    about the different needles, fabrics, and which stabilizers works for
    each kind of fabric.

Another favorite go to place is on Embroidery Library click the "projects"
    tab, than click the "Fabrics 101" tab right there on the top is info for
    fabric, and stabilizers.

The links above (in "red") are my 2 all time go to places.

I hope this helps you a little bit at least.

Quote Originally Posted by rexie View Post
    I have a Brother PE770. Haven't used it much. I don't ever know which stabilizer I am supposed to use for each project. The embroidering is simple to do, but getting the project into the frames is something I fret with.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

I hope people will continue to post in here...its a great subject and there is a lot to learn for someone like myself.....
    ania

Rexie I agree with Quilty Louise, those are my go-to websites when in doubt and it has helped me out quite a lot. Its a trial by fire when learning but I make samples first before trying it on the project. It works better and you can label your samples with the type of stabilizer, needle size and the kind of material used ie. cotton. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    rexie; I agree it can be intimidating. I've been embroidering for about 3 yrs now and still uncertain on many things. Just about every website that has designs has tutorials or projects that help in those areas. Jenny Haskins has webinars, there are retreats, some very reasonable in price. I'm going to Anita Goodwin one in April, its 59 for 2 days and I've been to John Deers and also the Floiani ones. I don't know if you have a dealer there that offers classes, it doesn't have to be a brother dealer, some like mine takes anyone with an emb machine no matter what the brand. Tidewater Sew n Vac has a club and it welcomes all machine owners, plus they do classes, some you don't even bring your machine too, you use thier machines which is nice. Look around and see. I agree with the other person about Floriani's stabilizer solutions, its a great place. I know that even Viking and probably Brother too have tutorials on stabilizers, it doesn't mean you have to own a Viking or a brother or any other specific machine to take advantage of their tutorials, stabilizer is stabilizer and alot of things on it and thread, etc is good for all machines. Good luck and if you have questions, ask on here, you're sure to get lots of answers and then you can figure out what works best for you. I do buy my WS at JoAnns by the yard, I take one of the noodles for the pool and cut it the width of the WS and then wrap it around it. Its cheaper and you can use the 50% coupon and save even more.
    Judy

Is there a way to stipple an entire quilt by using an embroidery machine and putting parts into and out of the hoop? I realize that the stippling won't be attached to each other but I was wondering if it's being done.

Several of the embroidery design companies offer collections for making quilts. They are amazing. You make the blocks then using your regular machine you stitch the completed blocks together and they appear to be quilted as a whole. http://www.anitagoodesignonline.com/floral-foundations/ and this is video on how to do the process...now you might want to skip about the first 12 or so minutes of it to get to the meat of how to make it happen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bjHCPPhwTs
    Jo
    Happy Days!!! I am retired and have fabric and a sewing machine...what could be better than that?

Thank you for that information! It looks like a fun way to quilt. What about quilting an already completed top? Can that be done? I have a few completed and would like to use embroidery designs and keep rehooping but am not sure if that would work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
    Thank you for that information! It looks like a fun way to quilt. What about quilting an already completed top? Can that be done? I have a few completed and would like to use embroidery designs and keep rehooping but am not sure if that would work.
    I have quilted quilts on my embroidery machine. You can buy quilting designs. I have ever used a stipple but centered designs work gret.

Can I ask which machine you have or if all the embroidery machines will do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
    I have quilted quilts on my embroidery machine. You can buy quilting designs. I have ever used a stipple but centered designs work gret.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
    Rexie,

There are many kings of stabilizers, for different weights/types
    of fabrics.

I personally LOVE the Floriani "Stabilizing Solutions" they give info
    about the different needles, fabrics, and which stabilizers works for
    each kind of fabric.

Another favorite go to place is on Embroidery Library click the "projects"
    tab, than click the "Fabrics 101" tab right there on the top is info for
    fabric, and stabilizers.

The links above (in "red") are my 2 all time go to places.

I hope this helps you a little bit at least.
    the links do not work.
    Charlene

Blog Entries
    I am working on practice blocks learning how to use an embroidery machine. I am using broad cloth. I am going to put this together into a wall hanging. Since I am working with 100% cotton fabric, what is the best stabilizer to use?
    Charlene

Quote Originally Posted by chamby View Post
    the links do not work.
    They worked for me.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    hmmm I wonder why they don't work for you.

I got them to work 2 times first from my original post, than they
    worked from your quote.

If you go to Embroidery Library and click on the "Projects" tab at
    the top it will take you to that section, on the projects page click
    on the tab that says "Fabrics 101".

the links do not work.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

I would like to use redwork designs to quilt the finished quilt. Will an embroidery machine put a design on a layered finished quilt?

I have done several quilts that way. I go through all 3 layers and use simple quilt motifs. Make sure you puddle your quilt, so there won't be any drag when the machine moves. Also, open your hoop quite a bit. Yes, there is a lot of rehooping, but the result is good.

UOTE=GrandmaSewNSew;6611010]Thank you for that information! It looks like a fun way to quilt. What about quilting an already completed top? Can that be done? I have a few completed and would like to use embroidery designs and keep rehooping but am not sure if that would work.[/QUOTE]

Freddie...Thank you! What machine do you have? And here's a real newbie question: Do you use the same bobbin thread when you use different top thread colors? I'm guessing it might be better to just use one color on the entire quilt.

My experience in using my embroidery machine to quilt the layers is to use the same color thread as the bobbin thread. In fact, I wind a bobbin using the embroidery thread. That way, I don't "see"the bobbin thread on top if it is a different color. You also should "quilt" using a simple "redwork" or quilting design for the project.

Do a test quilt block with the layers to make sure that your machine embroidery quilting design makes a pretty stitch on the back of the quilt. I really did not like what my quilt back looked like after quilting with my machine. But, this was a few years ago and perhaps the "quilting" embroidery designs have improved. I also got bored maneuvering the bulk of the quilt for quilting with my embroidery machine, the re hooping, etc. (I still have half of the quilt to finish, LOL!).

I do want to revisit using my machine for quilting using embroidery designs.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    the links do not work.
    Try turning off your pop up blocker. I clicked on them and they work fine. It brings up a new window so if your popup blocker is on it'll prevent the new window from coming up a lot of the time.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
    Freddie...Thank you! What machine do you have? And here's a real newbie question: Do you use the same bobbin thread when you use different top thread colors? I'm guessing it might be better to just use one color on the entire quilt.
    I have the Brother PE770 embroidery machine only. It has a 5x7 field, which seems to be plenty large for what I do. Yes, I put embroidery thread in your bobbin. I match the bobbin thread with the color of my backing or if you want it to show more, you can use anything you like. Test it, because sometimes the top thread might pull a little towards the back. Then you might want to use same color on top and bottom. Of course, no stabilizer is needed when you go through all 3 layers.

I purchased the Brother PE500 embroidery machine a few months ago, but haven't had a chance to learn how to use it. Does anyone have this machine and what do you think of it? I'm going to try to find the time to get it out and use it. I'm really glad I found this post and will be checking in from time to time.
    Lynn

I just popped into the group to see if anyone was talking.... I was about 10 pages behind!! A lot of good stuff on those pages. Thanks for posting everyone. I am a newbee and am very happy to listen to those who have been here for a while.

I joined Artistic Thread Works, and for about $10 per month I have access to all of their embroidery designs for free. I think that is very good and have downloaded several designs and they stitch out beautifully.

hugs, Jupiter
    "Stash Enhancement" makes buying fabric necessary, even when you have no idea what you will do with it! ----Jupiter aka Marilyn

http://marilynjsmith.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I have a Viking designer SE Purchased new when they came out many years ago. Has less than 5 hours on it! I'm afraid of it and never learned to use it. Have never loaded the things I purchased on it. Have the 3D professional, endless embroidery hoop, quilters kit III, mega hoop, never opened any of the boxes. I think they are up to like the 5th version now???? Would this be for someone like me that has an EM but doesn't know anything?

Quote Originally Posted by VivianW View Post
    I have a Viking designer SE Purchased new when they came out many years ago. Has less than 5 hours on it! I'm afraid of it and never learned to use it. Have never loaded the things I purchased on it. Have the 3D professional, endless embroidery hoop, quilters kit III, mega hoop, never opened any of the boxes. I think they are up to like the 5th version now???? Would this be for someone like me that has an EM but doesn't know anything?
    I have 5D Pro & 6D has cone out. I am not going to upgrade as I was told by a dealer that not much had changed, and i still have a long learning process ahead on 5D.
    I would suggest you start playing with your machine first before getting new software to see if it is something you want to do. You can find classes just about anywhere that will help you get past your fears
    When I got my machine I only sewed with it since I had no interest in embroidery, but now it runs almost nonstop.
    Good luck.

Page 104 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 103 104 105 114 ... LastLast