Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 150 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Thread: Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Sew and Sew View Post
    I have a Brother 4000D with an upgrade with larger hoop and continuing embroidery capabilities like for sheets or tablecloths etc. It came with a USB port so I can download and add to a memory stick. I do have trouble with compressed files, for the life of me I cannot unzip files that are sent to me zipped.........just cannot........what am I doing wrond? I need to take classes for the upgrade. I am like others at this forum, I will embroider a while then quit and do something else.........love it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyG View Post
    I don't think you can go too wrong with any Brother machine. They are much more user friendly than a lot of other brands. I started with a PE180 which only had a 4x4 stitch field. I outgrew that almost immediately and got a ULT 2003 and then an Innovis 4000D. I have been very satisfied with all of them. Of course, the Innovis has a lot of features that the PE180 didn't have, but as far as stitching goes, that 180 had just as good embroidery stitches. One time when I had all three machines set up, I did a wallhanging that was done in sections. I stitched some on the 180, some on the ULT and some on the Innovis. You couldn't tell the difference in the stitching.

I think the 770 has a 5x7 stitch field and a USB port for transferring designs. Those are the two things I would recommend anyone buying an embroidery machine get. Even though I can do much larger designs, I really prefer using my 5x7. That is my most favorite hoop.

Good luck with whatever you decide to get. Machine embroidery is as addictive as quilting.
    I have the PE770and love it. It indeed has the 5x7 hoop and I have the 5x10 as well. You should know that the 5x10 is only for saving time and ease of rehooping. It will not take the 5x10 embroidery file. As you probably already know too, is that the PE770 is embroidery only. Uses PES designs or DST. It is not a high end machine, with the cost around $700.00? However, it is treating me well.

Hello, I am new to this site and was thrilled to see other people love embroidering also. I have a Brother Innovis 1500D. I love the machine even though I don't know what I am doing most of the time. My hubby got the machine for me a year ago as a present. He knew I really wanted to start quilting and also liked the embroidery capabilities. I have not made a quilt yet but have done some embroidering. For me, I started learning how to embroider before learning how to do anything else on the machine because I don't actually know how to sew (I am pretty sure the machine is smarter than I am.) I figured the embroidery function was perfect since it basically does all the work. I hope to start quilting soon but I do not have anywhere to set up my machine except my dining room table and am nervous about leaving it there since my 4 month old son is learning to crawl (he can crawl about 6 inches and then falls down) and I am so afraid I am going to drop a needle or pin and not notice and he will find it.

The one thing I don't really understand about embroidering is how to know what stabilizer to use. It seems like there are so many. Most of the things I have embroidered (mostly small wall decorations for my son's nursery) are ok, but there are obviously mistakes in the pattern and I think it is because the fabric is either not staying where it should in the hoop (maybe not tight enough) or that I am not using the right stabilizer. The designs I made were very dense. They were from Anita Goodesign. Does anyone have any basic rules of thumb they use to know what stabilizer to use? I am using mostly 100% cotton fabric from the quilting section of Joannes. Thanks so much for the help. I really love this site and am so glad I found it. I am dying to find a babyproof place to put my machine so I can start quilting.
    Sabrina

Blog Entries
    I have The Singer Futura and so far,for embroidery, I still am in the learning process. It is very addicting and I love it! There is a group you can join on Yahoo. I belong to it and there is soooo much you can learn from there and ask questions. It is called Futua Embroidery group. Just log on to yahoo search bar, real easy to find.
    Bonnie

Blog Entries
    I have a Jamone 9700 4x4 & 5x7 hoops. I mostly put designs on my G-kids shirts. Play food for G-daughter and right now I'm making small draw string bags with a toothfairy & G-kids names on them ( 3 out of 4 G-kids are starting to loose their front teeth)

I love the idea of being able to talk machine embroidery. To be able to see that everyone is working on and somepalce to go for help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheesh View Post
    Does anyone have an idea of what software extension is for a singer futura embroidery machine? I bought it from HSN and haven't found this info so far. Never had an EM,but many other sewing and also an espire quilting machine, not quite ready for a longarm
    I have a new slnger futura XL-500,I got it about 6 months ago the extenison is.xxx, although it can read .dst there is anative hormat if you are using software to digatize but I don't remember it as I use another program to digitize.

Quote Originally Posted by snowyquilter View Post
    Hello, I am new to this site and was thrilled to see other people love embroidering also. I have a Brother Innovis 1500D. I love the machine even though I don't know what I am doing most of the time. My hubby got the machine for me a year ago as a present. He knew I really wanted to start quilting and also liked the embroidery capabilities. I have not made a quilt yet but have done some embroidering. For me, I started learning how to embroider before learning how to do anything else on the machine because I don't actually know how to sew (I am pretty sure the machine is smarter than I am.) I figured the embroidery function was perfect since it basically does all the work. I hope to start quilting soon but I do not have anywhere to set up my machine except my dining room table and am nervous about leaving it there since my 4 month old son is learning to crawl (he can crawl about 6 inches and then falls down) and I am so afraid I am going to drop a needle or pin and not notice and he will find it.

The one thing I don't really understand about embroidering is how to know what stabilizer to use. It seems like there are so many. Most of the things I have embroidered (mostly small wall decorations for my son's nursery) are ok, but there are obviously mistakes in the pattern and I think it is because the fabric is either not staying where it should in the hoop (maybe not tight enough) or that I am not using the right stabilizer. The designs I made were very dense. They were from Anita Goodesign. Does anyone have any basic rules of thumb they use to know what stabilizer to use? I am using mostly 100% cotton fabric from the quilting section of Joannes. Thanks so much for the help. I really love this site and am so glad I found it. I am dying to find a babyproof place to put my machine so I can start quilting.
    congrats on All
    just for a general rule of thumb i use a stabilazer to match the weight of the fabric on a really dense design I would use 2 one under and a wash away on top if you are going to leave it on the wall i would use a cut away and not cut it just leave it on a tear away is great for simple projects but because it does tear easy i would not use it for the kind of projects you are doing.
    good luck and have fun

LindaR, I would use as many layers of wash away stabilzer as needed. Sometimes I have best results using light weight, but as many as 6 layers.I know you won't b e washing these but you can dissolve the wash away with spraying on water.
    Last edited by TanyaL; 01-31-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Hi,

I just saw this thread tonight...where have I been! LOL

I have a Babylock Elegante2 and a Babylock Ellure embroidery machine, I use the Elegante mostly for my embroidery.

The past month I have been embroidering Mr. Crazy Legs snowman, have done 7 of them, and did post a picture last week.
    This week I am starting an in the hoop quilt...I am going to a Babylock Embroidery Retreat at the end of the month and we are creating an in the hoop quilt. I have to have 16 embroidered blocks done by then, but think I am going to do a redwork type Jacobean flower as my fabric is pretty busy.
    Embroidering is such fun!
    Bev
    Our lives are like quilts....bits and pieces....joys and sorrows....stitched together with love.
    Babylock Crescendo, Elegante2, and Ellure.....for the love of sewing!

I had a Janome 10000 and loved it I now have the 11000. there is a free upgrade on the Janome site to upgrade it to a 10001 if your interested in getting it...I forget what extra it did.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowyquilter View Post

if you go to emblibrary.com they have a whole section on the stabilizers and the differences. I think Viking also has it on their site. If you google I'm sure you'll find lots of tutorials that will help you out. The emb site has lots of projects and even though I don't do alot of the projects by looking at how they do it and the supplies they use it gives me more of an idea of what I need to use and do. I'm also new to embroidery.
    Judy

Quote '"Hello, I am new to this site and was thrilled to see other people love embroidering also. I have a Brother Innovis 1500D. I love the machine even though I don't know what I am doing most of the time...dining room table and am nervous about leaving it there since my 4 month old son is learning to crawl (he can crawl about 6 inches and then falls down) and I am so afraid I am going to drop a needle or pin and not notice and he will find it." End of Quote

If you buy a rolling magnetic pickup from the hardware store and roll it over your floor after each sewing session, you will have much more peace of mind. It will pick up the pins and needles.
    Last edited by TanyaL; 02-01-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Thank you so much for all the help everyone. I will definitely check out the hardware store so I can get back to sewing.
    Sabrina

Hi I have a Janome mc 10001. I embroidered on table runners,appliance covers Try to post pictures soon

I buy from www.emblibrary.com too. But you learn so much about embroidery too, check out Kenny's corner.

I have a Viking Designer SE. I need to take some pics of my granddaughter's quilt. I don't really do much embroidery and haven't been sewing like I should. I really want to get back into the swing of things
    Kathy

I have a brother I use it for some of the quilting designs I haven't figured out how to use the embroidery part yet

Hi, glad I found this thread. I had a Bernina 180E for 10 years and wanted to upgrade so I sold it to a friend. I still miss it though. I bought an Ellisimo and am really enjoying it. My dealer has tons of classes - the only down side it taking the machine there.

I'm mostly embroidery things for my baby grand daughters. So much fun! We will all have to post our projects. So far I've given them all away and forgot to take photos. Whoops!
    Karen in CA
    Babylock Ellisimo, Babylock Enlighten Serger, Janome 6600, Janome 760 for travel

I have a deco 340 bernette. I have only had it about 3 months and am just starting to learn things to do with it.
    I did towels and t-shirts for the grands for Christmas. Just very simple designs that I got with my machine and off the internet. I hope to learn to do designs on quilts thats the main reason I got it.

Blog Entries
    I have a Brother PE780 D and haven't had time to figure it out. I still don't understand how to download free patterns , or should I say don't know how to put them on a flash drive in order to use the designs.
    jazs2
    Last edited by jazs2; 02-01-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have been machine embroidering on my Janome 300E for the past six years. I have embroidered on many things, including toilet paper. People love receiving embroidered baby gifts and quilts, especially with the new baby's name on it. I have digitized many college logos for my daughters and as gifts for their friends. Machine embroidering is a lot of fun and your imagination is your only limit. I really like my winter door hanging, but haven't had to use it this year because of our very mild temperatures. I will never buy a Janome again because I have had a lot of bobbin problems and after reading several blogs, it seems to be a common problem. My machine will embroidery up to a 5x7 size. My next machine will have a much larger hoop, because it would really come in handy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Blog Entries
    Wow! Kathdavis, you've made some really neat things. Had to chuckle over the toilet paper!

I bought a Baby Lock Emore from a friend just before Christmas. Really wanted the Janome 9700, but that's not possible right now. Anyhow, I decided to buy the Baby Lock #1 because of the price, and #2 because I figured I would see if I really used an embroidery machine. Let me tell you....I am loving this thing! I've mostly been doing mongrams, phrases, and a few motifs. I'm finding that a mongram adds a nice personal touch to the little bags I make.

So, I will keep up with this thread for ideas, etc (can't promise that I am going to read the previous 300+ pages, though). Glad I found you folks!
    Kris

I have the Janome 11000SE and it's really fun to work with. I did really cool huck towels with embroidered ornaments on them for Christmas gifties this year, plus I monogram my bags too. I haven't gotten into embroidering anything with like 20 colors or anything yet, but have enough embroidery files to embroider from the East coast to the West coast. I get lots of nice stuff from embroiderylibrary.com
    Laura

Blog Entries
    Just got a Janome 10001. It is in the shop getting checked over. I am picking it up Monday and taking a lesson on it. Boy oh boy, I cannot wait. Will keep watching this thread for updates.
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peyton View Post
    have the opportunity to purchase a Customizer 10000 unit for the Janome 300e

can someone please tell me what the unit actually does?
    Customizer is a digitizing program for Janome. You can download simple clipart and digitize it so you can stitch it out. Customizer is a very basic program. It usually sells for about $300. I got lucky and purchased mine on ebay for $100 as a donation to save greyhounds. So it was tax deductible. The good digitizing programs, like Florini run about $2300, or $1400 when they run specials. Big difference from Customizer.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

I have a Brother 1500D and really like it, although I am still learning all of the ends and outs as far as stablilizers and hooping go. The largest hoop that came with my machine is the 6 X 10 but I haven't used it yet. Hope to see a lot of pictures, hints and design ideas on this thread, also.

Page 13 of 150 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 63 113 ... LastLast