Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is EQ7 worth the price?

Thanks Lori. I've seen EQ6 on their website, but not EQ7. Maybe they'll upgrade later.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee
    Can you get EQ7 from Joanne's and use a coupon?
    Last I looked they were selling it in the sewing machine area ( viking booth and only Eq6). If theyare still keeping it in the machine area , you can not use cuopons ( this area is leased space typically to a Viking Dealer ). Call or see if they have it on line.

Blog Entries
    I am following this thread with interest. I have long thought about buying EQ, but didn't know enough about it and couldn't swallow the price.

I have EQ 6 and I love it. I use it a lot. Great tool for designing blocks and quilts.

Blog Entries
    I know Joann's has Quilt Wizard in the stores but have never seen EQ7. Online I don't think it lets you use the coupon on softwear. In the store I was able to use a coupon for Quilt Wizard retail of $29.95, but this is a very simple computer quilting program. It does not have anything near the capabilities of EQ7.

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    It's a wonderful program and I've had it since EQ4. I can pretty much look at a quilt and tell what the pattern is and re-create it in EQ7 (if it's not TOO difficult). It has tons of blocks and fabrics and you can import your own fabrics, which I do all the time.

When I buy a fabric I get a picture of it on my screen from the website I bought it from, right click, and save into a folder on my PC called Fabrics. I can then import it. I love that Moda has downloads of their collections for EQ! Also, Connecting Threads has them for every collection plus a label that matches.

here's a wacky question! if you import your fabric to a folder as you buy it, can eq7 easily help you with sorting/inventory of your stash? do you guys, for instance, add your newly purchased yellow fabric to an existing yellow folder in order to know exactly what yellows you have in your entire stash? or is this unreasonable? seems like you could plan your quilt online, then (this is for those tidy stashes we've seen photos of) pull yardage easily and go for it.

Blog Entries
    I have used EQ since version 5. I personally would not recommend starting out with EQ5 = EQ 6 was a wonderful improvement and much easier to understand. The only problem I ever had was that there is a limit to the number of computers/installations without having to purchase a new license (we had two computers die within a year!)

I have purchased EQ7 and absolutely love it. I am also sure if you search online, you should be able to find a better price and it will be worth every penny - just remember you have a learning curve with anything new!

Blog Entries
    Yes you can plan your entire quilt online then pull from your stash. As far as saving your fabric imports you can save it however you choose - by color, by mfg, by putting it all in one folder, etc. You can name it whatever you want too. I like to list wherever I bought it just in case I need more. ex- yellow floral(Joann)

Does anyone know if there is a site that sells the software for a less than the $189 list price? Our quilt stores sell it for $189, so I'm hoping some internet site will have it for less.

Quote Originally Posted by oneygirl
    I paid $137 for mine at a local quilt shop when it was just released. I still need to learn how to use it.
    Our loccal guild does the AQS for quilting books/cds and quite often when they have 6 orders you are able to order at the cheaper pric. Our meeting is today so will check how much it is thru there. They usually order when they have 6 total for an order and then split the cost of the shipping.
    Judy

I am interested in purchasing EQ7. Is it worth $189? What do you do with it? Can you look at a pattern elsewhere and design your own with the software? Are there enough sample fabric pictures to get a really good idea of what a finished quilt will look like using similar fabrics? Do you absolutely love it, or just okay?

Where is the lowest price for it?
    I got an early pre-order price of $68. I had EQ6 and upgraded. It does a lot of cool stuff, but you DO need to realize you will have to spend some time with it to learn the ins and outs, but I love it. There are loads of fabrics, hundreds of blocks and designs already in there. But you can design any block you can think of, set it in any way, there are constant fabric stash updates to download, and recently there have been 'webinars' to learn how to use the program. Do you HAVE to have it? No. You can certainly design with graph paper and colored pencils. But, I'M afraid I'll get left in the "technological dust", and if I resist the lastest computer program, that when I WANT to use it, it will have progressed to far for me to EVER catch up. Just like sewing machines. I talk to so many people who spent years resisting any kind of "computerized stitch selection" and are now so intimidated by the new machines, they are too afraid to even try. Just my thoughts.

Blog Entries
    I've been using it for about a month and I love it also. I have already used it to design 2 quilts, including one with a very fancy chained border. You can try many different variations with blocks and borders and see what it will look like. I'm now trying to figure out how to use the stencils part to simulate what the quilting will look like. I'm not finding that part very well explained.

If you're into printing pictures on fabrics (which I am not), it has very nice image editing function.

Just a thought -- EQ6 is aHUGE improvement over EQ5 -- and they do not charge full price to upgrade (at least they didn't) I have the original EQ and have upgraded as each came out -- each seems to take a big leap forward. You might investigate the cost of moving up at least to EQ6 -- much easier to learn and wonderful tutorials.
    Mary

Thanks Judy, I greatly appreciate that!
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGSD
    Does anyone know if there is a site that sells the software for a less than the $189 list price? Our quilt stores sell it for $189, so I'm hoping some internet site will have it for less.

Quote Originally Posted by oneygirl
    I paid $137 for mine at a local quilt shop when it was just released. I still need to learn how to use it.
    Our loccal guild does the AQS for quilting books/cds and quite often when they have 6 orders you are able to order at the cheaper pric. Our meeting is today so will check how much it is thru there. They usually order when they have 6 total for an order and then split the cost of the shipping.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    I keep trying to put in the cheapest place I found EQ 7 online but for some reason, QB refuses to let me post it. Go to google and type in (all one word) I have a notion.

Does either EQ7 or Quilt wizard have the wreath maker function in them? The function where you can take any design, (like a teddy bear, for example), and the wreath maker tool will turn it into a circular (wreath) shaped design with multiples of that object...that is the one thing that I am most interested in getting in any program. Thank you..Donna

Hmmmm. I went to i have a-notion (all one word) web site and saw the EQ7, but they have it listed at retail price of $189.95. Did they have it leased for less earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    I keep trying to put in the cheapest place I found EQ 7 online but for some reason, QB refuses to let me post it. Go to google and type in (all one word) I have a notion.

For what it's worth, I bought the Quilt Design Wizard (QDW) from Amazon.com. Based on what I've read off the Electronic Quilt (EQ) website, QDW is the stripped down version of EQ. That being said, I find the software a bit confusing. But, I'm not sure if it's my lack of quilting knowledge or if the software just isn't that user friendly.

I have used both EQ6 and EQ7. The thing I like about EQ7 is
    scanning the fabrics is so much easier. I have a lot to learn
    but I enjoy exploring new ideas and changing colors to see
    what looks best. Good luck and don't give up. I took a class
    at a Quilt Camp and that helped tremendously.

Blog Entries
    Hmmmm. I went to i have a-notion (all one word) web site and saw the EQ7, but they have it listed at retail price of $189.95. Did they have it leased for less earlier?

You have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

This is what it says on the website:

Please enter EQ 7 under in the "search" window on the Home page, scroll to the bottom of the page to view IHAN price and order.

Due to EQ Minimum Price Policy we are not permitted to advertise our price here.

When you "upgrade" an EQ version, you are actually getting the new program completely like the ones bought at the Full retail, but you sort of get a "discount" because you have the previous version.
    EQ6 was the first version with "activations" and that happened because of problems with people having loaded the program on more than their personal computer(s). People would be taking the time of the techs, and using the program when they didn't really purchase it themselves. Sigh.

I love the program. There are some quirks, and you need to understand various things about the program. But it does a whole lot more than most people will ever use/need. Upgrades are done at user request, pretty much. (If you are a user and let the company know "I wish I could do ____ with the program." the people at the company will keep it in mind and new versions come out to meet the wishes/demands of the users.
    EQ is probably not a great program for beginners, because it has no sewing instruction. Or any how to put something together.
    But for what it does it is amazingly low priced. Computer techies that I know are very surprised that a program that does all that this one does costs under $300-$400. So, at under $200 it is a steal.

Pati, in Phx

Quote Originally Posted by donna13350
    Does either EQ7 or Quilt wizard have the wreath maker function in them? The function where you can take any design, (like a teddy bear, for example), and the wreath maker tool will turn it into a circular (wreath) shaped design with multiples of that object...that is the one thing that I am most interested in getting in any program. Thank you..Donna
    EQ6 and 7 have the wreath maker function. I think you can specify how many of the motifs you want in the wreath too.
    (And that was one of the things very much requested by users. )

Pati, in Phx

Take a look at PlanetPatchwork.com. I saw a discounted price there just a few weeks ago.

Yea! It worked!. Thanks so much Melinda. Yes, this is the lowest price I've seen it anywhere. You rock!

Did you order from that site?

Please enter EQ 7 under in the "search" window on the Home page, scroll to the bottom of the page to view IHAN price and order.

Due to EQ Minimum Price Policy we are not permitted to advertise our price here.

EEooowww. I just noticed they are very proud of their shipping -$17.49. But, even with that, it may still be less than most others.

Yea! It worked!. Thanks so much Melinda. Yes, this is the lowest price I've seen it anywhere. You rock!

I bought the EQ7 and have used it and read most of the manual and watched the videos. It is a great program and it takes a while to learn some of the techniques but once it all sank in the old brain it is easy. I still have a lot to learn but I love it. Can't work on it as much as I would like because I'm on this board and trying to catch up.

Blog Entries

No, I haven't ordered from them but only because the budget can't stand it yet. When I do, I'm ordering from them tho. I'm on her mailing list/blog and she has some wonderful prices and lots of GIVEAWAYS! :thumbup:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast