Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever Had One Of Those Days!! >

Ever Had One Of Those Days!!

Ever Had One Of Those Days!!

Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 AM

Oh, this is so sad....but I can't help but laugh. Love your wit. I have had so many days like that.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by kims View Post
have you ever had one of those days when everything you try to do goes wrong!

I'm working on a christmas gift for a friend that's made from paper pieced blocks. What could be easier? Well.....my iron has something really yucky on it so cleaned it with a little water and baking soda. Seemed to be alright except on one place toward the back of the iron. This block has white in it so what do i do? Yep! Use the whole iron and get this nasty mark all over the white fabric again. Tear the block apart and replace the piece. Then i did the same thing again!!! Tear it out again and the piece i used was too small so had to rip it out again. When i was doing that i tore the piece next to it so now i have to rip out two pieces. Got the first of the two pieces sewn into place and instead of cutting to the 1/4" seam, with the new piece folded back, i had it forward and cut the piece off. Oh my gosh!!! Get ready to sew the piece, once again, and break the needle on my machine. While changing out the needle i smelled something burning. One of the handles of my brand new karen kay buckley scissors was against the iron and had melted. So now i have something else on my iron and a melted section on my scissors. This 6"x8" block has taken me over an hour to make.

Whine, whine, sniffle, sniffle, pout, pout...poor, poor pitiful me. Do i dare start another one day???
if at possible just put every thing away and start again tomorrow or some other day thats what i try and do it usually works better the 2nd time around.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:19 PM

My motto is if you have to rip it out more than twice, go to bed. One of my students once asked me, "What if it's 10 in the morning?" My response, "take a nap."

Seriously, though, I admire your tenacity! I would have thrown the entire block away and started over!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:38 PM

Seems we have all had a day like this. I did notice a similar phrase with each one, "it was a simple block, pattern, etc"
Guess we need to heed the old tale-- It's not as easy as it looks.
I like the idea of going to bed or taking a nap. Usually when I have these kinds of days, other mechanical objects begin to "act up" outside of the sewing room.
And yes, chocolate always helps.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:42 PM

I am so sorry you had such a day. Let us hope tomorrow is great!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:34 PM

I think it's time to set your project aside for awhile and start back at it tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:08 PM

Bless your heart. I admire that you stayed with it because I would have either gone back to bed, got involved in something else or take a break and eat something sweet or chocolate.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:20 PM

I think you need to take a bath and bubble your troubles away! And a glass of wine wouldn't hurt either. : )
Old 12-02-2011, 04:54 PM

oh, I hope your day is getting better. When it rains it pours
Old 12-02-2011, 05:10 PM

My home ec teacher gave me the best advice - when things aren't going well get up and walk away from it for a little while. Then go back later. Most of the time it works for me. Hope things improve for you.