Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Hoarder Confession!! >

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Old 07-29-2013, 05:06 AM

I was standing in my craft closet one day and the question suddenly nagged me---Is this a fabric stash or a fabric cemetery? Gotta work on sifting through and donating what I will never use and also on completing UFO's.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:07 AM

I,too, have more fabric than I can use in this lifetime. It was Crazy Daze in a city near me last week, and I am proud of myself, I didn't even go to the fabric store. My dream is to win the lottery and build a studio for my sewing stuff.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
The only problem I have found with having a big stash is that eventually it take up most of the quilt room, no matter how big that room is. Then there's no longer any possibility of finding the space to actually make something. The only solution is to get a bigger room and start the whole cycle again.
No truer words were very spoken. I can piece at my machine, but for quilting, I move a machine to the dining area and work there. Cutting also happens there. Design "board" is the bed in another room. That room also houses two three -drawer plastic storage units. Will never use up all of that fabric in a lifetime. And my stash is nowhere near what I've seen on this board.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:13 AM

Yes I am a hoarder, but a organized hoarder. The stash is all on shelves and easy to see. I rarely buy for a specific project, just pull from my stash. This past year I have definitely cut back on my purchases, but have a hard time resisting a deal. Like so many, if I lived to be a hundred I couldn't use it up but I will sure try.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:14 AM

I know exactly how you feel, when I see the word "SALE" I can't stop myself. I am really trying not to buy fabric unless I am working on a project and need something for it.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

My DH looked at me this weekend and asked if I had enough thread for the amount of fabric I had. Then he says, "Why did I have to open my big mouth?" I took the credit card and bought more thread and a few more yards of fabric, just in case I had more thread than fabric. LOL! The cycle continues!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:25 AM

Is there room for one more member? I gave tons of fabric away a couple of years ago, and I think I have replaced all of it. In the past month I have made 3 donation quilts all from my stash. Can't really see any decrease in amount of fabric, but I will keep at it. I have tons of fat quarters and they are great for many quilt designs. I will keep at it, but it makes me feel so good to buy fabric. I know, I know, that is part of the "illness". I also gave away stacks of magazines. I now have stacks of magazines again. I need help!!!
Sue
Old 07-29-2013, 05:27 AM

Yep - the deals get me, too. I rarely buy any fabric at regular price. I have just enough scraps and UFOs that it's always a dilemma for me, deciding whether to cut scraps ("tame" them) or work on a UFO, or the most fun of all, start another project!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:00 AM

My stash takes up one cabinet in my sewing room. That's it. I feel like it's too full now. All the fabric I have earmarked is folded on comic book boards and laying sideways. FQ's are for small projects, pillows, purses, etc.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:05 AM

My question in regards to this is how old is too old? I have fabric that belonged to my husband's grandmother's mother in law, fabric I have had since my 20s, etc. I am thinking maybe some of it just needs tossed. Also I was making pants for my baby grandson and used up some of mine for that. I made five pairs. I guess we could repurpose some of it for something other than quilting to get it out of those bins.

Last edited by qwkslver; 07-29-2013 at 06:08 AM.