Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Hoarder Confession!! >

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Old 07-29-2013, 03:03 AM

This is an interesting thread. I spent last week going through my many bins of fabric and pulling out fabrics I know I will never use--inherited a big stash from a quilting buddy. I've decided that all those peach and aqua fabrics will make cute "little dresses for Africa". Yesterday I sewed three of them and honestly think I have enough fabric for 30 or so. Good use for fabric and like to think of the little girls that will receive them.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:20 AM

Should we start an FA?
Old 07-29-2013, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
The only problem I have found with having a big stash is that eventually it take up most of the quilt room, no matter how big that room is. Then there's no longer any possibility of finding the space to actually make something. The only solution is to get a bigger room and start the whole cycle again.
Sounds like a great alternative, rather than giving it away. Thanks for the idea Dunster.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:56 AM

I relate to all of the above I have way to much fabric and patterns also kits and to think I started collecting in the 1980's I to am trying to find a good home for lots of stuff I am no longer going near anyplace that sells fabric unless it is for something that I need to finish a project oh yes I forgot to mention the thread a ton of that too
Old 07-29-2013, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

I am currently in a 12 step program called Fabricholics Anonymous. My main problem is I have been stuck in step 1 for years. I am guilty
Old 07-29-2013, 04:16 AM

I have about 60 years worth of fabric. The last couple of years I have been using out of my stash as much as possible. I can actually see that I am making progress. I have been working on my scraps and have used up most of them. Making some charity quilts and just making strip quilts in order to use up as many scraps as possible. I will be 80 next month so need to keep at it. I do have a quilting daughter who will inherit whatever I have left when I am gone.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:45 AM

There is always more fabric, always a sale, and always a good deal when you need or want one. I have told myself that I will buy only what I NEED to finish a project. I have enought fabric and projects to keep me busy for several years, at least.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:59 AM

I am working on organizing my stash, slowly. I have too much. I have what I call my ugly fabric. Some is from when I first started quilting, some form yard sales, some given to me. A friend was here and freaked out over the pretty stuff (my uglies). I gave her what she need for 2 quilts and she was thrilled. She wouldn't take more. SHe doesn't have much money for fabric and was thrilled to get it. I use it to make donation quilts and try out new designs which go into doll quilts for Salvation army. I have a pile of doll quilts to quilt that I have collected to use for practice for a FMQ class I plan to do on Craftsy.
I have been trying to not buy fabric for the past year and a half. I only buy pits and pieces to complete projects. I have made the last 4 quilts, only buying a little fabric, mostly from my stash. My rule for the year has been to only buy fabric with a specific project in mind. No buying just because it is pretty. I skipped 2 quilt shows because I knew I would buy too much. Saved me a lot of money. I also piece my backs out of my stash. Sometimes I make a giant block from the front for the back. I try to use up the scraps from the front on the back. I plan to donate a bunch of fabric at the end of the year. Probably to Ronald McDonald house. I have been making pillow cases for charity. Uses up a lot of fabric, fast.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:59 AM

I am a confessed hoarder of fabric! Guess what? There is a store going out of business ...going today with a friend...all fabric on bolts is $2 a yard...hoard is growing though I really wish I could stop! No self control it seems. sigh
Old 07-29-2013, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
...Those of you who donate your fabric, do you just bag it up and give it to Goodwill?
I give it to the local Project Linus group.