Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Hoarder Confession!! >

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Old 07-29-2013, 06:12 AM

Most of my stash is, my gift to me, because I gave up smoking.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:36 AM

My fabric will also out live me.......I haven't purchased any in several months and don't intend to. When I get e-mails from fabric stores on the internet I will see many that I like and place them in my cart and then walk away from the computer. In a couple of hours I go back and delete them. It's fun looking, but no more buying!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:42 AM

I also have wwwaaayyy to much fabric so I am not buying any unless I must. I am doing a lot of scrappy quilts for charity so it will be good for someone and help me out too.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:48 AM

I've donated a couple bins of fabric to our church's quilting group (quilts for missionaries), donated some to charity, and tossed scraps. But, I have enough for 14 planned quilts, several bags/totes, table runners & placemats, plus pet-themed projects (guess what everyone receives for gifts from me)! I just bought a 40 yd bolt of W&N that'll be enough for the next 4 years of projects (at $5.75/yd for 90" wide). I have so much W&N now, I can't fit it in my closet yet for easy access in & out. The stash/scraps that remain will be dedicated for scrap projects.
Then, I have supplies for 'scarfs' and beading projects I have yet to begin.
With 20 good years of quilting left, my goal is at least 6 quilts a year and several smaller projects. I suppose I'm disciplined enough to use what I have as long as I don't buy more! Some of my fabrics were purchased at a fundraising quilt fabric sale where fabrics were just $1-2/yard, an estate sale of a former quilter, and a 'down-sizing' sale of another quilter. Those were simply too good to pass up. That's where my 'stash' began. Hoarding or long range planning for keeping the cost of my hobby in check???
Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 AM

I'm a collector and I'm not sorry and I'm not quitting. I enjoy deconstructing clothing, getting a bundle of factory cut aways, rescuing ufos and cruising flea markets and yard sales. If my production doesn't keep up with my supply (and it never will) I still enjoy daydreaming about the next project. Very, very little is retail purchase yardage and so the cost is low--not low quality, that becomes rug strings.

To all you members of FHA (Fabric Hoarders Anonymous): I wish you well and I'll be glad to come over and help you de-stash. LOL
Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I do not have that much, have been using alot of mine up lately and it has been great fun.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 AM

Oh, yes! I am 81 years old, and I recently went through my ????___ UFO's. I hope to finish some of them, but family and friends seem to always come up with requests for other things. When my husband and I moved to a retirement home 3 years ago, I insisted that our home there had enough space for my fabric. I have a large sewing room with LOTS of fabric and projects hidden away.
I do use some of my fabrics in projects for a craft sale here: but, I suspect that my fabrics are having babies since the supply doesn't seem to diminish.
I did recently finish a queen size raggy quilt for our youngest granddaughter, and am making a crib quilt for her expected baby using some of the same fabrics. (Yes, I bought too much for her quilt!)
Since I live within driving distance of Mary Jo's, I am making myself stay away! But, oh, how I love that store!

My oldest daughter made me promise not to will my fabric to her!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

I do know exactly how you feel and it was never more apparent than when we had to downsize from a 3-bedroom house with full basement to a 2 bedroom apartment. With 2 sewing areas, one in the basement and another upstairs for quilting in the winter, I lost track of exactly how much I had, especially having inherited my sister's stash when she passed away. My dear friend inherited a lot of it but she also passed on fabrics to be used for charity quilts, so the fabric was put to good use. Now, unless I need a specific fabric to complete a project, I am doing pretty well shopping only in my stash. It was sort of "cold turkey" therapy, but it seems to be working.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 AM

I don't consider myself a hoarder, still in the collecting stage. Think I have enough to complete some of my UFO's now. I love starting new projects, but can see this will become an issue if I don't finish them. I love the challenge of learning something new, but then I tire of the project and move onto something else "new".
Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 AM

I also LOVE Mary Jo's, but fortunately I don't live close. My husband says Thank Goodness! I also have way too much fabric and can't resist a sale. I fall in love with fabric. My concern is I am 72 and will never live long enough to use all my stash.