Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric stashes

How Big Is My Stash? I am try to get it all organized, but crazy things like life and work keep getting in the way. I am working on it when I get a chance. So far I have about 150 yards wrapped around boards and put into an old entertainment center and have lots more to go through, by the way, that"s just the cotton I have a lot of other stuff in totes, I have put myself on a buy only what I have to to finish a project diet until I can get this all out and sorted and organized. Fabric Hoarder, not really, but when I get a chance I really enjoy sewing, not just quilting, but garments and crafting too, when I can find it all I will attempt to post a picture :D

A walk-in closet with shelves on all 3 sides with fabric, quilt kits, batting. I also have boxes under cutting table full and more boxes under my 2 machine tables. I also have 5 plastic drawers on wheels that stack 5 high. Mind you, this is in a room with computer and 9 sewing machines. This room is about 12'by12'. Wish I had a bigger one. May have to knock out the next wall.

just had a speaker at our guild about her stash diet. did not buy for 6mo. that was 5 years ago and everyone participating cheated. seems to be a disease to keep accumulating. i can't quit.

she did tell us about her friend who calls her stash her "fabrary" a fabric library. i like that term. no more stash, just a fabrary. libraries must always be acquiring the latest books, so we must always be acquiring the latest fabric. my story and i am sticking to it.

Blog Entries
    I am in the building process. I've only made about 6 quilts. Will retire in 4 years and am currently buying fabric like it's my job, so when retirement comes I won't have as much to purchase!!!

I have known a quilter and teacher for many years, but had NO idea what her stash was like! She came to our guild to speak, and told us that she BOUGHT a second apartment just for all her quilting STUFF!

I thought I had a lot but apparently not. Quite moderate by comparison but now I buy only as needed: borders, backing and binding. Every time I use a bunch, the stash seems to multiply. Can't figure that one out!!!!

Banned
    If I quilted everyday for 100 or more years, I could not use up what I have.
    I'm getting ready to sell yardage as I've completely run out of room.
    2 large rubber maid boxes (I have 20+) are blocking my bedroom A/C.
    A friend said she'd help me move them - move them? - if there was another place to put them they wouldn't be there. LOL

Blog Entries
    My stash isn't too big...I just need a larger house :lol:

I have a friend that os so orgabnized. Whe is is cutting and has any left over she cuts the pieces into nice useful sizes, 2 1/2 inch strips, 6 1/2 and 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 in squars and keeps them organized in a small dresser. Then when she wants to do mindless sewing she pulls them out and starts a scrappy quilt. My goal someday would to that organized but, I don't see it happening.

Blog Entries
    Since I began quilting, about 5 years ago, my stash has grown into 8 large totes and about a hundred yards on a shelf. I decided to get everything organized and folded neat and pretty. I am beginning to wonder if I will ever have it organized. LOL.

I am not sure how big it is but there is room for more. LOL I need yardage bad! Most of what I own is FQ or smaller. Fortunately I do enjoy making scrap quilts so that works out but I still need borders and backs. Lately I have been quilting my way through stash fabric but I always end up needing more for the border and or back.

Blog Entries
    I am trying to keep my stash somewhat limited but it's easier said than done. For instance I bought the fabric for a lap quilt called Botanical Blooms by T'Amore Designs. I ended up with lots of leftovers so I am going to make another quilt. I will need to purchase a backing and batting of course but I may have enough of the quilt top. My DH agreed to have an amoire refinished which will be able to store lots of fabric along with a closet in my sewing room. I am a little worried what to do when we put our house on the market. I am afraid my sewing room gets too messy when I sew. I am also planning to put 1 yd plus pieces on bolts but I plan to cut the bolts down to fit in the drawers of the amoire. I have a rolling 6 drawer storage space for all the smaller strips and squares. I hope to put batts in the amoire as well. We shall see....

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki W
    I have enough that I have placed myself on a fabric diet. I am working on getting it organized. I would hate to guess how much fabric is there.
    \
    Me too! it's causing me anxiety, not pleasure - time to shop from my stash!

I have a 14ft long wall of shelves, floor to ceiling, of fabric. Ahhh... Another 5ft wide, floor to ceiling, bookcase of books. I'll post pics when I learn how to do that!

1 bin of fabric for certain projects don't have extra for just any new projects

My stash is Manageable....for now lol But I am too easily tempted when entering fabric stores. Most of my stash are FQ's stored in boxes but these are getting full quick!!

I have about 15 -12 gallon totes of fabric yardage. I also have Artbin satchels with projects that I need to get done, now that I finally have time. :)

I never wanted a stash, but somehow mine has grown and is still growing. And I'm sewing as fast as I can!

it's causing me anxiety, not pleasure - time to shop from my stash!

Me, too! I suggested that our local Project Linus group have a fabric swap -- good way to get rid of some fabric to a good cause, right? Then the coordinator found three totes of fabric in her garage and asked me to go through it to see what might be good for the swap...what sweet torture.

I've since added more to my stash than what I've pulled. And I'm not enjoying it! My sewing room is a mess and I'm not motivated to finish two UFOs I have. Too much of a good thing, I fear...

Okay So I have a huge stash. A full walk in closet. I store my FQ's in boxes in there. My private stash and solids and a few kits to be made. Then there is the business stash. (you do know it co-mingles) in the studio. I have officallly run out of room. But some how I keep collecting. It does seem to me that the fabric multipys on its own at nite. Here are a few photos enjoy!
    Luann

My personal stash
    Name:  Attachment-244676.jpe
Views: 518
Size:  47.1 KB

One full wall in studio business stash
    Name:  Attachment-244677.jpe
Views: 520
Size:  43.0 KB

Yes a full 8 foot walk-in closet stuffed with stash
    Name:  Attachment-244678.jpe
Views: 521
Size:  38.6 KB

I have very good reasoning on my stash building. I buy what I can afford now. I add it to the shelves in my stash closet. My reasoning ----I won't be able to afford any fabric when I retire!
    The way the economy is going--I may have to work until I am 80, take a week off, and then die!!

I realy pared down my stash. I gave it to a teacher in Oklahoma who is teaching quilting in her class at school. Many of these students can not afford fabric even at WalMart prices. The only stash I am building now is batiks for applique and other projects. I do have a stash of 30's. I am not buying fabric unless it is needed for a project. Oh yes, I do have quite a few kits, so I will not run out of anything to sew.

I also have an office cabinet like yours, but mine's in the process of organization, not finished yet. Yours looks great! :thumbup:

I recently cleaned up my 'stash' and reorganized it. That took a lot longer than I had anticipated (2 full days)! I do have more than I thought I did, but I haven't actually calculated how much (I think I'd rather not know. I wouldn't want to feel guilty that I might have too much!). I love fabric and quilters can't have too much fabric, now can we!?!

Cleaning out the closet shelves and basket organizer, full of fabric, made me aware of saving some fabric I really didn't like, and/or wondering why I bought it in the first place?!!. So I also weeded out the fabric I knew I wouldn't ever use, and have given it away. I, too, put fabric and patterns for specific projects together in project bags, which made me aware of more To Do's and UFO's than I thought I had! I love being able to see what I have in the way of colors and patterns now that my fabric collection is neat! That way I can focus on adding the fabrics I really need!

Although I have sewn all my life, (YIKES! figured out I have been sewing for over 50 years!! I ask you, how can that be? I'm a young 60 years!!!!), and made some quilts over 30 years ago, I only really got hooked on "quilting" again (my hubby calls it an "obsession" but I prefer to call it my "passion") about 5 1/2 years ago, when I started working in a quilt shop. At that time, I did not have a "stash!" I prefer to call my fabric a "collection," since I am a "collector" of many things!!

I attend 3-4 quilt retreats a year with some BFF's. After organizing my fabric, I decided to take a few UFO's to finish at retreats and maybe only 1 new project to work on so as to not stifle my creativity! I've also decided that I need to go to my collection first when starting a project.

I've recently made 2 gift quilts for friends and took all the fabrics needed from my collection! I'm going to be starting a Block of Month quilt from McCalls Quilting with my BFF and I am using fabrics from my collection! It's a good feeling to be using what I have first! You can see my sewing room and fabric collection on my blog[url][http://kpscarlettandchief.blogspot.com/2011/07/where-i-sew.html]

You are quite organized. I keep hoping for that day.....soon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast