Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Waste >

Fabric Waste

Fabric Waste

Old 11-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

I will save scraps of fabric to use for scrap quilts but if the scrap bin gets overflowing I know it's time to donate them because I won't be able to use them all. I don't like saving things that I might need one day, it just creates guilt.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:26 AM

[ Also wondering where I could donate them if I just have a separate waste bin for fabric, bag it up and give it away.[/quote] by DJ
My LQS collects sewing material, and machines to be sent to Woman's prision in Ohio
Old 11-28-2010, 12:38 PM

I am just wondering, not what to do with leftover scraps, but how much more fabric should I order to make sure I don't run out. I am saving what I can here to use in other blocks that have that size piece that I need for that block, but I am going to run out, sure as shooting, and I have been used to making quilts with fat quarters and extra fabric and this time around I am making a quilt, big, (see first note on this) and I am just wondering if I should order more or if I will have enough or am I cuttiing wrong. I do make one block at a time and I try to figure out where the best cut is going to be, but maybe I am wrong there. That is the help that I need. Thanks, again! Edie
Old 11-28-2010, 07:55 PM
DJ

Originally Posted by amma
You can save them, put them in an envelope and offer them here for the cost of postage :wink:
Thanks, I may just do that . . . start a drawer full and see if someone wants to pay the postage.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:04 PM

I'm going to try to explain what I do to reduce waste but I'll warn you - it sounds backwards.
I buy more than I need.
Yup.
If my pattern calls for 2 1/4 meters (or yards), I round it up.
That way, I know the piece I have over will be big enough for my stash. And I don't worry about the 1/2" strips that end up in the trash.
The cost of my craft I guess.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:17 PM

I save almost all of my scraps.. My grandmother made beautiful "string" quilts of narrow left over strips so I was trained to be most frugal.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:47 PM

I throw a lot of scraps out. I feel bad about that now-I think I'll start saving them so that I can pass them on.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:34 AM

If you throw your small pieces in an old pillow case and when it is full take it to an animal shelter for bedding for the animals, you have wasted nothing.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:52 AM

I usually save almost everything. I have a bad habit of using scraps from one quilt & incorporating it into another quilt. I have three baby quilts that have the same fabric in it. The 1st one, was very bright and original. The 2nd one had a different theme but it to was bright with pieces from the first quilt. And the 3rd was a scrappy Irish chain with the small pieces of quilt 1 & 2. Honestly, it has been atleast 3 yrs since I have gone to a LQS and the only fabric I have purchased was for the backing of my avatar because DH wanted music notes, and batiks from 2 board members that I couldn't resist. So, I guess nothing is to small, because you never know where you might use it.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:07 AM

I only save strips at least 1 1/2" wide & 21/2" squares.I can pretty much tell by looking at a scrap if it's worth saving.Otherwise, out it goes.
DH is retired & we've already downsized...big time...2 diff times & now we're getting serious about getting rid of a whole lot of "stuff". If it hasn't been used, worn or needed in a yr...bye bye. Goes to a thrift store, or sold at a yd sale.

BIL used to rent space to store his collections.....& that made no sense to me. If you have more than your house will hold,why buy more?....be it sewing whatever, vases or guns.