Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Waste >

Fabric Waste

Fabric Waste

Old 11-29-2010, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Between me making mini string quilts and DH making his tiny-piece (5/8" square pieces) quilts, there is not much wasted around here.
Have you posted pics of your and your hubby's quilts? They sound very intriguing.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I'm going to try to explain what I do to reduce waste but I'll warn you - it sounds backwards.
I buy more than I need.
Yup.
If my pattern calls for 2 1/4 meters (or yards), I round it up.
That way, I know the piece I have over will be big enough for my stash. And I don't worry about the 1/2" strips that end up in the trash.
The cost of my craft I guess.
I got it. Actually I am not trying to reduce waste - I am trying to figure out how much more fabric to order to be sure I have enough with the waste. I don't want to run out..Which, actually, is what I did when I originally ordered the fabric. I added an extra yard to each piece of fabric. I am now coming to the conclusion that when I told the quilt shop what I was going to do, maybe they miscalculated (which I am sure does happen) (sometimes)! I also do not worry about 1/2" - I do save some to tie my larger pieces of stash into a roll (which is what my mother does (saves space)). Thank you for your help. At least I know I was doing right. I always figure I would rather have more than less and I just couldn't figure that 11 yards wouldn't be enough for the top of a quilt. Oh, well! I just wrote them and said I may need more fabric and did they still have it. I loved the fabric - very nice and peaceful and comforting - and would like to finish it same. Have a good day. Edie
Old 11-29-2010, 05:07 AM

That heartin your Avatar is very interesting. Is it pieces sewed on a base until the heart is filled?

Originally Posted by Colorful Quilter
Me Me Me, I will pay postage for Any scrap pkgs. of 100% cotten anyone could PM me if you want to de-stash, would love to help you out. too often I find myself buying new fabric to cut into small bits for my quilt tops
Old 11-29-2010, 05:32 AM

Any of my scraps, I save in a basket and ship to a Quilting Board Member who collects the scraps for her quilting.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:35 AM

I save everything that is an inch or more, bag it up and give it to a friend who does miniatures. She sometimes needs just inches to make a mini block, so my waste goes to her. I would never use it for that, so am just pleased that someone else can make use of my trimmings.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:51 AM

Most of the pieces that are too small for me to use I donate to the local elementary school to use in their art department. They like that they are already small and odd shapes and colors, It saves the teacher some work in preparing them for her class.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:17 AM

I apologize now if this is already been mentioned but small itsy pieces I have seen used a couple of ways
1)A gal in our guild makes dog beds out of scraps and donates them to the local animal shelter.
2) A friend of mine used to save them and when she had enough would cut them all up very small (randomly with a rotary cutter) and then with a piece of muslin or light colored material sprayed with quilting basting spray lay out the cut piees all over and then lay a piece of wedding vale fabric (sorry can't remember the name of it)over and then sew sometimes in brights or sometimes in plain colors randomly all over. Basically making her own backing fabric, It was pretty and a neat way to use up scraps. I did it one time for a wall hanging so will see if I have a picture( I gave it to my mom so if not, will try and get a picture). My friend also does this with pieces of thread.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:20 AM

To make your small pieces even smaller rather than using a shredder just lay your scraps on the cutting mat and rotary cut from different directions, move the pieces around a bit and cut away again. It doesn't take long to have tiny pieces.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
I just got to thinking here while I was cutting out fabric for a new quilt - a sampler. When you cut your squares and get it down to 1/8" here and 1/4" there and 1/2" someplace else, after all is said and done, how much fabric does one waste when making a quilt. Suppose you are making a quilt, say 96x124, how much of that is actual waste - I bought four yards of one fabric, four yards of another fabric and three yards of a third fabric. How much of that am I allowed to waste - throw out - less than 1 inch, some pieces being 26/28" long. This is one of the things in quilting I absolutely do not like to think about. But I just got to thinking - Am I going to have enough material? I am making a sampler with three colors only. Every block design has only the three colors. This is not counting the sashing, or border or backing - I always pick that out after all the blocks are made (on this one, there will be 48 - 12" blocks.

My brain doesn't want to work this morning - It is probably turkey stuffed yet.

Thanks for any info you can give me. I would hate to think I was wasting money here at $9.00 a yard Clara Barton Birthplace Museum - Windham fabric. Edie
Hello Eddie, I don't waste or get rid of any fabric or thread. I collect all unused thread and tiny scraps of fabric and put them in a used coco container decorate it and put all unused items in the container. Then when I am making pincushions, pillows, animals etc. I will use what I have collected to start the filling. It works for me and there is no waste.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
I just got to thinking here while I was cutting out fabric for a new quilt - a sampler. When you cut your squares and get it down to 1/8" here and 1/4" there and 1/2" someplace else, after all is said and done, how much fabric does one waste when making a quilt. Suppose you are making a quilt, say 96x124, how much of that is actual waste - I bought four yards of one fabric, four yards of another fabric and three yards of a third fabric. How much of that am I allowed to waste - throw out - less than 1 inch, some pieces being 26/28" long. This is one of the things in quilting I absolutely do not like to think about. But I just got to thinking - Am I going to have enough material? I am making a sampler with three colors only. Every block design has only the three colors. This is not counting the sashing, or border or backing - I always pick that out after all the blocks are made (on this one, there will be 48 - 12" blocks.

My brain doesn't want to work this morning - It is probably turkey stuffed yet.

Thanks for any info you can give me. I would hate to think I was wasting money here at $9.00 a yard Clara Barton Birthplace Museum - Windham fabric. Edie
Hi Edie - I know exactly want you mean. When I first started quilting I was nervous about having enough fabric and would always add on an extra yard of each fabric. Now if it's a complicated pattern where there's bound to be a mistake I still buy a yard more. But with patterns I'm comfortable with I still buy extra to give me the option to go bigger or make the presentation bag. Therefore I have a huge stash and a scrap bag which is being dealt with by leaders and enders. I love the idea of making a quilt without thinking about it until there's a pile of blocks ready for a decision. All the best with your quilt.