Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fast forward twenty years >

Fast forward twenty years

Fast forward twenty years

Old 07-17-2014, 10:53 AM

I started quilting when I was 21, now almost 5 1/2 years ago. I always wanted to quilt, ever since I was young. I was lucky to get a beginner's quilting class for my 21st birthday (okay, I might have begged for it...and probably got it to get me to shut up about it ). In that class, I was probably the youngest one, although there was one other woman who was only a year or two older than me. The rest of the women could be about equally divided into the age groups 30-50 and 50-70. So, quilting is discovered still by a wide range of ages still and I think that it will always be around. But, popularity (is it "in") will fluctuate.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:09 PM

There are many young women quilting today. If you read some of the online quilt blogs there are many quilters in their 20's and 30's quilting. Some say they are only finding a home online because many of the neighborhood quilt guilds are filled with more mature women and these young women often have completely different quilt aesthetics. A similar blog conversation was just taking place last week online.

Just like clothes sewing that keeps going and going generation to generation, so will quilting. There has been a revival of clothing patterns with these online blogs as young women are designing new clothing patterns to fit their style. Can you believe there has been a revival of chevron prints (70's) and this whole vintage modern movement? There are so many young women who have not had a chance to experience all of this.

I do however, wonder what the modern quilt movement will look like in 20 years.

Also, I just bought 2 extra sewing machines to introduce my 12 yr old granddaughter and 7 & 12 yr old nieces to sewing. Hopefully one of this group of three will develop a true love for the craft.

Last edited by Havplenty; 07-17-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:09 PM

I think that the more intense and high tech the world becomes - the more some people long for something that is "tactile and fundamentally homey"....and those types of people will always be out there. It's like canning fruits and veggies.....i worry that it will be a lost art - then read about how many younger people are doing it again.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:09 PM

I do notice one big change in the quilting industry over the past few years and that is the closing of many LQSs. I think the internet, big box stores/chains and the economy have contributed to the decline. What has increased are the number of large quilt shows run by corporations (Mancusco, etc).

I personally believe quilting will always be around, but like any other hobby, it will wax and wane with time. Look at scrapbooking for instance. Five years ago there were specialty shops, large areas of craft stores and "bees"...now (at least in my area of southern NH) you are hard pressed to find scrapbooking items.

I will (I hope) still be quilting 20 years from now...I'll be 78 years old then.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:46 PM

My 12 year old grandson made a quilt for "Project Lioness" when he learned that I sew for them. It was really nice. I'm so proud of him for doing it. Now he's working on a sports quilt for himself.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

Funny that you would post this. My young next door neighbor asked me to share how to make a quilt and sew clothing today. I gave her a reader's digest sewing book thick as a phone book and a Elenore burns Quilt in a day log cabin book that was my original book I learned from. You know the kind you tear the strips and strip sew the pieces? Well I figure if she presses as she goes, it will be a good start for her. It was for me!
Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 PM

I think quilting will be around for a long time, but I am glad that garment sewing is coming back as well,. I think people are fed up with cheap clothes and ill-fitting clothes and clothes that do not flatter our bodies or are made for the 20-something crowd. Just my take on the 21st century.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:12 AM

Default Need to update my member info!

My Dad is 73 and can hand sew stitches that you need to use a magnifying glass to see! He learned to sew from his Grandmother. He repairs sewing machines as a "very small" hobby and he has always been an inspiration. I learned to sew watching my GreatGrandmother (same lady!) and I begged for classes when I was very young. I sewed clothes for my daughter, from necessity, but really enjoyed adding special, one of a kind trims. As a Grandmother myself (time does fly!) I sew for my granddaughter, and have taken to quilting in all it's forms. My Dad just recently mentioned about listening to his Mother and Grandmother talking about piecing quilts (from old clothes and wool "army" blankets) when he was very young! And as a girl, I was taught that tools are meant to be used, if you see a loose screw, go get the appropriate tool and fix it! My family didn't believe that genders had limits.

Taking my 10 month old granddaughter to a fabric store is a JOY, as she loves the colors and wants to feel most of the fabric! Quilting, sewing and other creative crafts WILL live on!

PS, just finished my move to Alabama and am looking forward to joining a group of ladies who quilt together. All ages, all skill levels, a few totally hand sewers, some a "mix" and a couple who only machine sew! PPS, moving your fabric stash is quite an eye-opener!!!!!!

Last edited by reneaunoel; 07-18-2014 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:26 AM

Last night a friend of mine rang me up and asked if I'd be willing to teach her 6 year old daughter how to sew. She's a sweet kid who has come over and learned a little sewing with me several months ago. She's about to become a big sister (which makes her "almost a grown up", she says) and she wants to learn how to sew so she can make "dollies and blankets" for her baby brother. Isn't that adorable!?

I said yes, by the way, but told her I need to wait a month before we start. She doesn't know it yet but I have a "big sister" quilt I'm working on for this same little girl, and I also have a queen-sized wedding quilt I've barely begun and both need to be FINISHED in 3 weeks. Ouch!
Old 07-18-2014, 06:40 AM
Banned

As long as there are good how-to tutorials, beautiful fabrics, and good examples of quilts left to see, there will be those who will take up the torch and carry it on.